Home/How That Extra Maid Survives/ch32
Chapter 32
As soon as I came to my senses, I snapped my head up and checked Sehem's statue first.
It was obscured by a hand clasped around the pinky finger, so I couldn't tell whether it had crumbled or remained intact.
"What are you looking at so intently?"
Suddenly, Rikael's face appeared in front of me. I reflexively pushed him away.
"Mmph…!"
"Ah, sorry. You startled me."
Rikael adjusted his slightly crooked mask and smiled as if to say it was fine.
"I was just… looking at Lord Sehem."
Since he was a candidate for the next High Priest, he must clearly see the aura of Sehem that I felt.
'I should make things clear at this point…?'
He wasn't on the Emperor's level, but he was effectively the second-in-command of the powerful temple—he could be my ally.
To do that, I needed to firmly bring him to my side.
I clasped my hands together as if in prayer.
"Sir Rikael, you said it yourself. That you could feel Lord Sehem's energy from me."
I slowly shook my head, as if even daring to imagine it was unthinkable.
"How could I be Lord Sehem? Lord Sehem has bestowed his grace upon me. If I appear to you as Lord Sehem, it's merely a small blessing from that."
"Ah…!"
Even though I hadn't said anything yet, Rikael seemed moved for some reason.
"However…."
"However?"
Putting on a holy voice, I brought my index finger to my lips.
Shh. I whispered sweetly into Rikael's ear.
"Lord Sehem has given me a mission. I am merely an executor of his will. This must remain a secret between you and me. Lord Sehem was concerned that the more ears heard it, the more his will would become diluted."
Perhaps I was closer to a demon than an angel.
For a moment, the image of a horned demon deceiving an innocent lamb came to mind, but well, it was the truth after all.
Sehem had indeed asked me, and I was supposed to follow its word.
It never said to keep it secret, but there's no benefit to having many people know about the future.
"Such…!"
He covered his mouth with both hands, as if startled.
I hadn't even mentioned the last part yet, but he'd already fallen for it completely and believed my words.
'Still, I should leave a definite piece of evidence.'
To recite my prepared lines, I pointed at Sehem's statue with my fingertip.
"Lord Sehem, taking pity on me, who found it difficult to bear this burden alone, gave permission for me to disclose the contents to someone trustworthy. However, as the price for defying the flow of a great will, he lost part of his body. If you check the covered pinky finger over there, you can believe my words are true."
My brother once told me I'd do well as a cult leader.
Honestly, even I thought I had a talent for it.
"Wa… wait a moment. I'll check immediately…!"
Rikael nodded and vanished in an instant, then reappeared.
"Wh… what should I do?"
The innocent lamb rolled right into my palm.
"It's not time yet. Wait. When the time comes, I will call for you."
I'd only see him when needed from now on.
Fanatics were a different kind of insane—long conversations with them were mentally exhausting.
"…Yes! I'll be waiting!"
A satisfying, spirited answer came back.
Having achieved my goal, I returned to the Rohambriga residence.
---
[The Saintess Wants to Live Happily] depicted a happy ending for the protagonists and those around them, but looking closely, quite a few people died.
'Starting with our Vinet, and the Second Prince's faction was almost entirely purged.'
Even supporting characters and extras, including the insufferable Ailet (Vinet's lady-in-waiting) and Rikael, had either already died or were dying.
Most of those deaths had reasons behind them, closer to cathartic actions in a typical novel, but even considering that, the frequency was higher than in other stories.
And those deaths, like a butterfly's wings causing a storm, had a huge impact on the future after the ending.
In the form of the empire's destruction, as Sehem had prophesied.
The blazing flame in the oracle wasn't the destruction caused by the Crown Prince's incompetence after ascending the throne, nor was it Damian's rebellion.
It was Kahal, the God of Fire.
His believers called themselves "Ambrose."
The organization they formed invaded the empire, weakened by civil war, to expand their power, and ultimately destroyed it.
That was the truth of the prophecy.
'I need to save the supporting characters and extras who are fated to die.'
Each had their own role.
It was a tragedy that wouldn't have occurred if those positions had simply been filled.
So their mere existence would lead the story to its proper ending.
'Staying here is the best, but….'
The Duchy of Rohambriga is a place that would be destroyed, its lineage cut off.
Since Vinet is a main character and close to the protagonists, it's convenient for me to be nearby to hear news or offer help.
'I can save Rahan too.'
Unlike other characters mentioned in the original, the reason for Rahan's death was never clearly explained.
Suicide? Murder? Because he was a controversial figure, it was comforting to stay as close to him as possible.
'The problem is finding a reason to stay here….'
The incident was already resolved, and I'd already mentioned wanting money, so I couldn't think of any more excuses.
Things seemed to have improved, but earlier I saw quite a bit of emotional fluctuation.
'I'm not comfortable leaving Lady Vinet? I want to save more retirement funds?'
I tried to think of a good reason, but nothing came to mind until the carriage arrived at the ducal residence.
'First, I'll buy time by pretending to be sick.'
I'd figure out the next step after that.
Having set my immediate course, I stepped out of the carriage and met Rahan's eyes. He had been loitering there.
'Why is he taking a walk at this hour?'
He should be working right now.
"You're back. Did you have a good trip?"
His blue eyes met mine.
Those cool, clear eyes, like an autumn sky, looked unusually dark.
'If I had to describe it, it's like the color of the night sea?'
His lingering gaze slowly dropped.
"Seems like there were no major issues, thankfully."
His eyes brightened again, like the corners of his mouth rising refreshingly. It bothered me for some reason.
"Yes, though my body is aching from the outing."
I appealed to my accumulated fatigue, subtly extending my time here.
Rahan's brows rippled as if something displeased him.
"…And I'm hungry too."
I quickly changed the subject.
"You haven't eaten anything all this time?"
"Yes, Sir Rikael offered to have a meal together, but I declined because I wanted to eat at the mansion. Hosen said he'd prepare a tasty patient's meal without any burden."
I wondered how a patient's meal could be tasty, but even the bland porridge I had yesterday was good.
I could look forward to it.
"Hosen…?"
"Ah! The head chef."
He'd told me to call him comfortably, saying there was no distance between us. So the name "Hosen" stuck more than "head chef."
"You're on a first-name basis, then."
"I used to call him head chef, but he said it felt too distant."
We'd grown close enough to be almost like brothers.
"Distance… I see."
He seemed to be pondering something as he nodded.
"Your Grace?"
"…As you said, I do feel a distance."
I felt a silent pressure.
No way. No way.
'…Really?'
"…Sir Rahan?"
As I slowly called his name, his eyes curved beautifully into crescents.
"This sounds much better."
His calm tone somehow stirred my heart.
'Is it time to die…?'
A death flag arising from sudden emotional change.
That word set off alarms in my head.
---
It must be because she was taken instead of Vinet.
Probably that.
I want to believe that.
'There's another person like that here, right? So it must be that.'
The person expressing intense affection for my heroic deeds (?) was right before me.
"It's a pity that lady-in-waiting is only a single rank."
Old Butler Column shook his head, expressing deep regret.
"Still, I've been promoted from temporary to full lady-in-waiting, haven't I? That alone is enough."
"You… you truly are…!"
I'd thought he was the epitome of a typical butler, but he was so moved he couldn't speak, completely different from my first impression, dabbing his moist eyes with a handkerchief.
"Then I'll take my leave now."
Leaving the tearful old butler behind, I stepped outside. Vinet, standing crookedly, pouted as if to say "see?"
"You're good with words. 'Enough,' my foot."
I stretched Vinet's lips, which were picking a pointless fight.
Of course, I didn't forget to check that no one was around.
"I'm really fine now. Do I look like I'm dying?"
I wanted to pretend and rest more, but I returned to work after just one full day of rest, worried something might happen in the meantime.
But I'd laid the groundwork.
"Being alone… I might be a bit of a burden, but I'd like to ease back into work."
They said they'd accommodate me until I was fully recovered.
Recovering slowly while working wouldn't be a problem.
Of course, Vinet was an exception.
She wouldn't just sit still if I said I was sick.
"You might not be dying, but you nearly died! If I had my way, I'd tie you to a safe bed and take care of you until you're better!"
Is this girl crazy?
She's saying obsessive things befitting a future villainess.
"If you don't get sunlight, you'll become weak. You'll get sicker, you know?"
"That's…! True…!"
She immediately conceded to reason.
"Fine. I'll concede one hundred times—don't leave my side for a moment."
"Even to the bathroom?"
"I'll let that slide. Honestly, we're past the age of holding hands to the bathroom, aren't we?"
Even she found it odd, so she compromised and backed down.
I'd wondered if the original's plot armor had activated, but thankfully she'd come to her senses.
"Bibi, I'm glad you're sane."
"What do you mean? I'm always sane."
When I squinted and looked her up and down, Vinet met my gaze confidently.
Her utter shamelessness left me dumbfounded.
She didn't even reflect on what she just said.
'I don't think she's always been like that.'
She seems to be getting stranger.
'Is it Ailet's influence?'
The only person around Vinet who could have a negative influence is Ailet.
I don't know what they've been doing while I was off.
"Lady Vinet! Lexi!"
As we headed to the training grounds, we saw Rebecca, drenched in sweat.
"Here."
"Thank you, my lady."
Rebecca took the handkerchief Vinet offered, wiped her sweat, then caught the water bottle Haulo threw and chugged it.
Haulo only greeted us and returned to his training.
"Even though he seems blunt, he's really a kind guy."
Rebecca whispered, excusing her colleague, then finally looked between me and Vinet as if remembering.
"Anyway, what brings you here?"
"I came to see my brother. He's always training at this time, right? I was curious… and I just wanted to see him."
"Really? His Grace is training over here. He'll be so happy to know you came, my lady!"
Thinking back to when I wouldn't even go near him for fear of disturbing him, this is truly a huge improvement.
Excited, Rebecca bounced lightly and guided us, pointing to one side.
There was Rahan, sparring with the knights.
Unlike the knights, who were sweating and breathing heavily, Rahan still seemed at ease.
"He often spars with them like this. It might not mean much to His Grace, but for the knights, it's an opportunity to improve their skills by leaps and bounds."
"What about you, Rebecca?"
Was it okay for her to be standing here?
"Today's not my turn. If I sparred with him, it would take away opportunities from others, so we set aside a separate day."
Come to think of it, she was among the top five in the ducal residence.
I heard she and Rahan were the only young ones.
"Wow— that's amazing."
Watching Vinet's pure admiration, Rebecca shyly squirmed.
The training continued for quite a while.
When the last knight clinging on finally surrendered, Rahan sheathed his sword and immediately walked toward us.
'A living pictorial.'
There are many ways to make money, but the easiest might be to hire a painter to mass-produce Rahan's face as prints.
Maybe they're already circulating behind the scenes.
Looking at that handsome face, useless thoughts floated around in my head.
Comments
Post a Comment