Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch56
Episode 56
"Rielle?"
Even though it was a call that was neither stiff nor particularly affectionate, his way of addressing me was different from others.
No, it was clearly different even from his usual flat tone.
Calming my pounding heart, I pretended to be composed and asked about our future plans.
"Since we have to show ourselves to people, I think it's best to decide in advance how we'll act."
"...This is my first time, so I'll follow your lead."
Cael nodded and answered.
Seeing him lean in close, meeting my eyes seriously, I cleared my throat to hide my embarrassment.
"Calling each other by name is a sign of closeness... at least when we're together..."
"......"
"Would holding hands be better, or linking arms?"
I raised my index finger and asked.
There was a slightly mischievous undertone.
I'd heard he hated it most when young ladies clung to him, so I thought he might refuse both.
But his answer was unexpected.
"...Can't we do both?"
At his question, asked with a serious, troubled expression, I couldn't help but laugh.
What is this man? Why does he seem so endearing?
Is this really something to agonize over? I covered my laughing mouth with the back of my hand and replied.
"Well, I suppose it wouldn't matter..."
"Then we'll do both depending on the situation."
"Okay."
"What else is there?"
At Cael's question, I thought for a moment and shrugged.
I had romantic dreams, but I'd never actually had a lover, so nothing else came to mind.
Just in case, I asked Cael as well.
"Well, aside from that, not much... Cael, did you have anything in mind?"
"...I'll ask you whenever I need to."
"Okay... I might act on impulse when I think of something, so don't be too surprised. Ah! But I won't cross any real lines, so don't worry."
I raised my hand as if swearing to Cael.
Just as we were finishing our important conversation, the carriage stopped.
Sensing we'd arrived, Cael slightly opened the curtain covering the window.
"We're here, Rielle."
"Okay. Then, I'll do my best."
"...I'll do my best too. Shall we get off?"
"Yes."
I steeled myself.
Once we stepped out of the carriage, Cael was my lover.
Since we were lovers, I had to act like one.
Cael probably wouldn't do it well, so I'd have to lead.
It was time to put into practice all the theories I'd learned.
I couldn't do every sweet lover's gesture I'd seen in dramas, but since the attractive Duke had become my lover, I secretly resolved to indulge my own desires a little.
As I focused and repeated this to myself, I heard the carriage door open.
"I'll get off first."
"Ah, yes."
Cael got off first, and just as I leaned forward to follow him out—
Swish—
"...!"
Cael, already on the ground, reached out both arms and grabbed my waist.
Grasp.
Before I could even flinch at the sudden grip, my body floated into the air.
'Oh.'
I froze, my face flushing.
Because it wasn't the usual hand he extended to help me down.
Once my feet touched the ground, I instinctively turned toward Cael. He smiled gently at me and offered his arm.
'Ah, linking arms.'
Catching his cue, I reached out and slipped my hand through his elbow.
"Good."
"...Hmph."
At his satisfied tone, another cough escaped me, and I glanced around.
"......"
Only then did my surroundings come into clear view.
Countless nobles were staring at us with astonished faces.
Come to think of it, this was a street frequented by nobles, and we were here to advertise our relationship. I snapped back to reality, smiled brightly, and looked at Cael.
Ignoring the stares, Cael led me into the shop ahead.
As we opened the door and entered, an employee behind the counter approached us.
"Welcome. Did you make a reservation...!"
The employee started to greet us politely, then recognized Cael and froze mid-sentence, startled.
"I made a reservation under Harkelder."
As Cael finished speaking, the murmuring inside the shop grew louder, the people visibly flustered.
I could feel everyone's gaze focusing on us.
The stares pricked like tiny needles, but I simply smiled and stood tall, arm-in-arm with Cael.
"I can't believe it..."
"What is this, am I dreaming..."
"The, the Duke with a woman..."
The murmuring didn't quiet—it grew louder, to the point where I could hear their words.
Everyone looked utterly incredulous.
Some even rubbed their eyes, as if they thought they were seeing things.
To prove it wasn't a dream, I spoke to Cael in a whining, lover-like tone, loud enough for everyone to hear.
As if fussing to my lover.
"Um, Cael. My feet hurt—I'd like to sit down soon."
"!!!"
"He called him by name?!"
"Gasp?!"
The shop grew even noisier. The employee snapped out of it and spoke rapidly.
"Ah, I've confirmed your reservation, Your Grace. This way, please."
"Lead the way."
"Yes."
"Rielle."
Cael took his eyes off the employee guiding us and looked down at me, calling my name. I smiled with my eyes and answered.
"Yes, Cael."
"Excuse me."
Swish—
"!!!"
"Oh my, oh my!"
"Good heavens!"
My comment about my feet hurting was just a pretext to start a conversation, but Cael lifted me in a princess carry.
Another near-scream of voices rose at his casual act of lifting his lover.
I didn't even have time to be flustered—I just smiled as if it were natural and leaned my head against Cael's chest.
Only by hiding my face against his chest could I relax for a moment, but my heart was pounding wildly.
Ah, how do I describe this feeling.
It's embarrassing but ticklish.
I hadn't meant for him to go this far.
This man—had he read a romance novel somewhere? Why is he so natural at this?
Following the employee, we were led to an outdoor terrace, a beautiful spot where wisteria flowers bloomed like floral curtains.
The problem was that it was an open space where everyone could see.
Oren had booked it as the perfect place to announce the two's relationship, saying the desserts were also good. Cael carried me out to the terrace.
After dismissing the employee, he set me down in a chair, knelt on one knee, removed my shoe, and held my foot in his hand.
"Cael!"
Startled by his kneeling on the bare floor, I called out as if to stop him, but he ignored me, firmly grasping my foot and even checking it carefully.
"Which foot hurts?"
"No, that..."
I could see people outside the window craning their necks to look.
They'd forgotten their noble dignity and were utterly focused on us.
I leaned close to Cael's ear, where he was looking up at me, and whispered quietly.
"I just said that to sound more convincing. Since everyone's watching, we need to act like lovers."
"Ah. So your feet are fine?"
"Yes."
At my answer, Cael set my foot down and rose.
After sitting in his own seat, he removed his gloves, placed them aside, and opened the menu.
"Shall we choose?"
"Yes, just a moment."
As I leaned forward to see the menu spread toward me, my hair slipped forward.
Cael, with a sweet gesture, lifted the hair that was covering the menu.
Is this really the cold-hearted, ruthless Duke?
His natural gestures wouldn't have been surprising even if he'd had several lovers before. With a slightly flushed face, I quickly chose from the menu.
He ordered for both of us, then rested his elbows on the table, crossed his hands, and propped his chin on them.
Then he gazed at me and spoke.
"May I have your hand?"
Comments
Post a Comment