Home/They say the Northern Grand Duke didn't have his front teeth at age six/ch14


Chapter 02: No One Said Regression Was a One-Seater


Episode 14


"...Hm."


Fortunately, Father didn't seem intent on leaving me embarrassed for long. After hesitating, he gave a light kiss to my forehead.


"Alright, let's eat now."


At the unexpected kiss, it was my turn to be a little flustered. I had thought he'd at most pat my head...


I sat down, touching my forehead in bewilderment. The nanny, who had been watching in surprise, smiled brightly when our eyes met.


Yes, it was a little awkward, but whatever works. Acting like a child in front of Adrian is good, getting closer to Father is good, and making the nanny happy is good too.


"Would you like to come over here too, Young Grand Duke?"


It was in that moment that the unwelcome words reached me. I froze with my utensils halfway to my mouth and looked up. The nanny was moving Adrian's seat next to my father.


"...Nanny?"


What are you doing? Why are you putting him next to Father? At my call, Marianne smiled kindly as always.


"The Young Grand Duke would be lonely sitting all by himself."


...What are you saying right now? If he were prone to loneliness, he wouldn't have holed up in the freezing North in the original story or in his past life!


But in the nanny's eyes, Adrian was not the Grand Duke of the North chewing on solitude in the snowy wastes—he was just a five-year-old child. She was likely being considerate so the young Grand Duke, having lost his only family, wouldn't feel left out seeing me with my father.


'I get it, but...'


Yes, it wouldn't be proper to only stick together as father and daughter in front of a guest. Especially when the guest was a five-year-old who surely missed his parents.


I understood, but I still couldn't help feeling uneasy sitting close to the Grand Duke. He wasn't going to suddenly jump up and stab me with a knife during breakfast, was he?


Fortunately, the meal passed in a fairly comfortable atmosphere. No matter how reckless the Grand Duke of the North might be, it seemed he wouldn't attack me in front of my father.


"You might lose your way, so be sure to take a servant when you go out. When the rain stops, you can play outside with Leticia in the annex playground."


"...You mean the two of us?"


At Father's words, Adrian set down his fork and looked at me. I flinched, but pretended nothing was wrong and popped an omelet into my mouth.


"If you go with Leticia, there will be quite a few children her age. The annex is used as servant quarters."


"Then never mind."


It was a refusal so blunt it was almost embarrassing to hear. Father stared at the small boy. Adrian scratched his swollen eyelid with his sleeve.


"I understand. On that note..."


A calm gaze landed on Adrian's plate. On the small dish were the morning meal's omelet, bacon, roasted vegetables, and mushrooms. While about half of the other foods remained, the carrots and mushrooms had barely been touched.


"...Is picky eating always this severe?"


Caught off guard by the unexpected remark, Adrian paused. But only for a moment—then he looked up as if nothing was amiss.


"It doesn't suit my palate."


Hmm, I could almost see the head chef tearing up. For the record, the head chef was the one Leticia had teased for being bald. He wasn't actually bald—just had a receding hairline—but when his hair started falling out, he'd shaved it all off in case any ended up in the food. A rather fiery and passionate man, all things considered.


"One should eat a balanced meal. Especially at the Young Grand Duke's age."


"The necessary nutrients for growth can be obtained through other foods. There's no need to force down food that doesn't suit one's palate."


Father's tone was polite for addressing a five-year-old, but Adrian, arms crossed and chin tilted, looked like a thoroughly arrogant and impertinent child. Still, I could somewhat sympathize with his words.


'It really doesn't taste good.'


One thing I had learned after regressing was that a child's palate was surprisingly sensitive. The distinct aroma and texture of vegetables were strong, and spiciness, sourness, and fishiness all felt much more intense than I remembered.


Fortunately, the things I found unpleasant were mostly fatty meat and strong spices, so it was dismissed as "a picky young noble lady's tastes."


"But... the mushrooms will be sad."


"...Pardon?"


Excuse me? Adrian, I, the nanny, and even the other servants all looked at Father in bewilderment. Father's expression didn't change as he gazed at the young Grand Duke.


"They were probably looking forward to being eaten by you. If they're thrown away like this..."


"..."


"...they'll be very sad."


Father's voice was as calm as ever, and somehow even seemed solemn. This was—adapted to a five-year-old's level, right? When Adrian didn't answer, Father went so far as to rise and approach him. Then he speared one of the remaining mushrooms on Adrian's plate with his own fork. And—


"Ah, say 'ah.'"


"..."


"Go on."


What is he doing right now? He's actually trying to feed him? The bloodthirsty demon, the fatal Grand Duke of the North who was like a lone wolf of the snowy plains?


As I stared in shock, Adrian looked up. He had been scowling, but must have realized Father wouldn't back down, as he slowly opened his mouth. The mushroom on the fork slipped into his small mouth.


Chew, chew. Adrian stared right at me as he chewed the mushroom, as if he were chewing me up along with it. Why are you looking at me like you're going to kill me just because you were forced to eat a mushroom? It wasn't even me who fed it to you!


"Ah, Daddy, me too!"


I raised my fork and shouted. Displeasure aside, my life was precious. Yes, I'll save you. I'll take our daddy away!


"Tishy wants to be fed too."


"..."


"Huh? Daddy."


As I squeezed my voice into a cutesy whine, Father looked genuinely flustered. Daddy, stop feeding random babies and come here. He clearly hates mushrooms...


---


After breakfast, the rain only grew heavier. Fabian stared blankly at the raindrops striking the window at irregular intervals.


"It seems the rain will continue all week. I'll have the Young Grand Duke's room checked again."


"...Yes."


He answered the butler's report absently, not moving. Just staring out the window.


"...With this rain, outdoor play won't be possible."


From his study, the small playground built for the children of the annex was clearly visible. When he looked up from his backlog of work, he would often see Leticia running and playing with the other children—climbing trees, fleeing, digging in the dirt, crouching down to observe something.


"What is Leticia doing today?"


"This morning she has etiquette lessons. This afternoon, she and the Young Grand Duke will do coloring indoors."


"Then..."


Fabian thought of the child who had run and clung to him, and lowered his gaze for a moment.


"...she'll be in the manor all day."


"..."


"Make sure she doesn't get restless."


"Understood. Also, Count—the Marchioness of Arias has invited the young lady to a party."


It was already an established fact in noble society that Fabian Belando would pass the title to his brother rather than his daughter. As such, Branda, as the prospective Countess, had been making occasional appearances at parties.


"While I'm here, allow her to attend as much as possible. Have a new dress made as well."


"Understood."


"How is she getting along with the nanny?"


Matters concerning the manor's guests and servants fell under the mistress's purview. But since Selena had disappeared and he had not remarried, Fabian had to oversee even the mistress's duties.


"For now, there is no particular conflict, but their approaches to childcare differ considerably... so they remain somewhat distant."


"Branda..."


Fabian paused.


"She's probably still preoccupied with Selena's affair."


At the mention of that taboo name from the master's lips, the butler bowed his head in unease. For he now knew that Selena had long been abused in the Marquis of Javier's household—from which her master had vanished—and that Fabian, who had never stinted in supporting his wife's family, had discovered the truth and annihilated them.


"Her intentions are appreciated, but this time she went too far. Marianne is an excellent nanny. I'd like you to keep a close eye on them so they don't clash in the future."


"As you wish."


The butler bowed respectfully but did not leave the study. Fabian turned, puzzled.


"Is there more to report?"


"The young lady will also be disappointed that she can't play outside."


It was a remark directed at him, who had been gazing toward the annex playground all along. Fabian's lips pressed into a thin line.


"How about paying a visit to the playroom today? I'm sure the young lady would be overjoyed."


It was advice from the old butler who had watched over the manor for many years. But Fabian gave no answer in the end.


---


The rain did not let up by afternoon. I had planned to play in the annex playground, but instead I gazed resentfully at the rain-soaked window and had to go to the playroom with Adrian.


"Since you can't go outside today, you'll be doing coloring in the playroom."


The nanny showed us sheets of paper with printed drawings. Adrian openly scowled, while I quickly waved my arms in response.


"Me, me! I love coloring!"


Do I actually love it? Who cares. Anything's better than building blocks with him...


Comments