Home/Why Is Everyone Doing This?/ch26


Episode 26


"Yes. For example, assuming you were born with mana, my lady, it would mean that one of your parents is definitely a mage."


"I-Is that really true?"


It was a fact she had never known.


If magic was hereditary, then that meant one of her real parents was a mage.


"But just being a mage doesn't guarantee it will be passed on. It's only a minimum requirement. That's why it's so rare. Not only are there few mages, but it's not guaranteed to be hereditary either."


"I see..."


After listening to Demaret's explanation, Iodel fell into thought.


"By the way, Demaret."


Then, thinking of a way to find her real parents, she asked.


"Do all mages work at the Magic Tower?"


"Hmm, well. Since magical resources are so precious, it's said that when a child with mana is born, they must be registered with the Magic Tower. To prevent anyone from exploiting them."


"Then what happens if they aren't registered?"


"They would be punished according to imperial law. It's better to register. There are also human traffickers who kidnap children with mana and sell them as slaves."


"...Gasp, human traffickers! Anyway, if they are registered, would the parents' names also be written down?"


"I imagine so. No parent would abandon a child born with magic."


Demaret added nonchalantly.


Iodel clamped her mouth shut, feeling her heart sink.


Right. Since magic was such a precious resource in the Kinis Empire, no parent would abandon a child born with mana.


Then why was she abandoned in front of Grand Duke Freya, who wasn't even her real father?


Feeling nauseous, she paused for a moment as she was heading back to the Galaxy Palace.


'The woman with hair as red as roses. Was she a mage...?'


No matter how much she racked her brain, no answer came.


Iodel looked at Demaret and Bell, who were watching her with concern, and forced a smile.


"Magic is fascinating. I want to read more books about it."


"I'll bring some from the Imperial Library for you, my lady."


"You, Bell?"


She looked at Bell with a questioning gaze.


She had planned to use this as an excuse to bring a pile of magic-related books that would help her studies, but if Bell offered to go, that changed things.


"No, I'll go."


"No, my lady. Please rest with Lady Merilina. I'll be quick!"


Bell clenched her fists and her eyes sparkled.


Seeing that, Iodel couldn't bring herself to insist.


"...Alright."


Iodel finally nodded.


Bell smiled brightly and headed off to the Imperial Library.


The rest of them immediately returned to the Galaxy Palace.


As soon as she entered her bedroom, Iodel threw herself onto the bed.


Even though the lake was artificial, feeling the cool breeze made her want to cover herself with a warm blanket and take a nap.


"Would you like to take a nap, my lady?"


"No."


But Iodel immediately sat back up. She moved to the study adjacent to her bedroom and sat down at the desk.


Seeing this, one of Theodore's eyebrows rose slightly.


"I want to study. I've been enjoying it so much lately."


Truthfully, it was because she had a deep-seated regret for all the things she hadn't been able to learn before. But without elaborating, she opened 'History of the Kinis Empire' Volume 2.


It was required reading to complete the assignment Duchess Belice had given her.


"My lady, may I briefly visit the Merilina estate?"


"Of course. I'll have a carriage prepared for you, so go comfortably."


"Thank you, my lady."


Since she needed to read anyway, she didn't need a lady-in-waiting by her side.


Iodel readily allowed her to leave and immersed herself in her reading.


After reading for a while, she felt the room growing warm and looked up from her book.


"Demaret, could you open the window... Ah."


Her request to open the window caught in her throat.


Suddenly, her eyes met Theodore's.


Feeling awkward, she scratched the back of her head and stood up.


"Ah, she stepped out..."


"I'll close it for you."


"No, I'll..."


"No, I'll..."


They both reached the window at the same time.


But it was Theodore who succeeded in closing the window.


In the awkward atmosphere, Iodel quietly lowered her hand, which had been waving uselessly in the air.


"...Thank you."


She just couldn't seem to feel comfortable around Theodore.


She quickly returned to her desk and focused on her reading again.


'Today's assignment was to preview the case of the serial mage disappearances that happened ten years ago...?'


Shaking off her distraction, Iodel concentrated, diligently scribbling notes with her quill.


Then, she noticed that a section of the book was completely torn out and tilted her head.


'Huh? This is the most important part...!'


Her mouth fell open in shock.


Ten years ago, the Kinis Empire experienced a series of mage disappearances. At the same time, even the Master of the Magic Tower vanished.


The culprit and motive were still unknown, but the author of the book had written their own opinion on the matter.


However, that exact section had been torn out.


'If this keeps up, I won't be able to finish the assignment...'


Iodel's face crumpled in dismay.


Duchess Belice had been praising her every single day during lessons.


If she couldn't complete this assignment properly, she wouldn't receive that praise!


She bit her lip hard, looking like she might cry at any moment.


Frustrated, she shoved her quill back into its holder, and her gaze fell upon Theodore, who was standing idly beside her.


'Would Lord Belice know?'


She had heard that most nobles completed their studies of this book in childhood. So naturally, he would know the answer as well.


"Um..."


She cautiously glanced at Theodore and parted her lips.


"Lord Belice?"


"Yes, my lady."


"I have a question about my assignment. May I ask you something?"


"No."


"...Huh?"


She had expected him to agree. But what came back was a firm refusal, without even hearing what the question was.


Startled, Iodel's eyes trembled.


"I just have a small question about the assignment."


"No. You must complete your assignment on your own."


He was clearly smiling. But in a perfectly rigid tone, he refused again.


"No, I'm trying to do it myself, but look here. The book is torn, isn't it?"


Frustrated, she thrust the torn part of the book in front of Theodore's eyes.


But his stance didn't change.


"Yes. Then you should consult another book."


"No! Lord Belice!"


In the end, Iodel jumped up and raised her voice without realizing it, just like she used to in the Freya Ducal residence.


"Why are you so inflexible? Just tell me!"


Her face was flushed with exasperation.


Theodore, who probably hadn't expected Iodel to show such strong emotion, paused for a moment to collect himself.


"My lady..."


He finally spoke slowly.


"You are truly different from other royals or nobles."


It was a statement that could be interpreted in many ways.


—The higher your status, the more you must hide your emotions.


Suddenly, Duchess Belice's teaching flashed through her mind.


Realizing she had let her emotions show too much, Iodel slowly composed her expression.


"...Should I be the same?"


"No."


But Theodore answered with a rather relaxed expression.


"It looks good."


"...Huh?"


"Rather than others who all wear the same mask, seeing someone who unselfconsciously shows the face beneath it is, well..."


He then wore a smile she hadn't seen once during the past half month and added bitterly,


"...Beautiful."


His demeanor suggested he had his own circumstances, and Iodel could only stare at him without being able to say anything more.


Comments