Home/How That Extra Maid Survives/ch51
Chapter 51
"Wait a moment!"
I stopped Rahan as he was about to leave.
"Sir Rahan, could you please help me?"
His steps halted.
"I can't tell you the reason."
Rahan hadn't been disappointed in me.
He hadn't scolded me for doing something.
Yet he still extended his hand first, offering to help.
Honestly, I couldn't ignore the warning that I shouldn't take his hand, relying on his goodwill.
But this was also an opportunity Rahan had given me.
'If this drags on, he might change his mind.'
This is the world of the novel I read, and since I can't reveal that I've possessed it, I'm forced to lie constantly.
There are days when I get away with it smoothly, and days like today when I get caught.
No matter how much he trusts me now, repeated lies will only increase his disappointment.
'I'd rather just ask for help.'
Even if I lie, if I ask for help openly like this, it might be a way to prove that it won't harm Rahan.
"I just need Count Reno's staff."
"…A staff?"
"Yes, the relic the temple gave to Count Reno as a gift."
I'd heard that the relic the temple gifted to Count Reno in gratitude for saving countless children during a famine wasn't actually a staff, but a sword.
It was a sword hidden inside the staff, which could be separated like a scabbard by twisting the end.
'I don't know why it's needed, but I have to get it. Yan said he was able to make the potion thanks to that relic.'
I'd tried to obtain it before, but no matter how much money I saved and offered, Count Reno absolutely refused to sell it.
Only after his leg healed did he say he no longer needed it, and that he hoped it would go to someone who needed it more, returning it to the temple.
Yan had taken the relic upon hearing the news.
It wasn't something he could get just by donating money, so I didn't know what method he'd used, but in any case, I had Rikael. My plan was to have him arrange for the relic to be given to me after the treatment.
"That won't be easy."
Rahan didn't ask why.
He simply pondered the difficulty of the task.
"No, it'll be very easy. In short, once Count Reno's leg is completely healed, he won't need it anymore."
Count Reno had said he would be grateful and, once it had served its purpose, he would return it.
"You think that's easy? How—no, never mind. So what do you need from me?"
I pushed aside the intricate and vast plans I'd been building alone and laid them out.
With Rahan as a piece on the board, only one well-paved path remained.
"Please arrange a meeting with Count Reno. I was going to ask Sir Rikael, but as you know…."
"Your honesty is your downfall."
"Yes, that's the problem."
"That won't be difficult. I'll arrange a meeting with him right now."
A refreshing answer came back.
The added bright smile was a bonus.
---
"Duke of Rohambriga, is that… really true…?"
"Yes. Priest Rikael here has confirmed it."
"Priest Rikael…."
I nudged Rikael's side, and he nodded obediently as instructed.
Count Reno had an appearance that made him look older than his peers.
The traces of his hardships were evident on his face, yet his eyes still sparkled like a boy's.
You'd realize at a glance from Marquis Selfios that you shouldn't judge people by appearances, but Count Reno's innate goodness seemed to radiate from his entire being.
"It's impossible. That my leg could be healed… and with Jarten's help. Even if it's Priest Rikael's word, I can't easily believe it."
Surprisingly, it was Rikael who calmed the confused Count Reno.
"You can trust it."
Rikael, having returned to his kind and compassionate priestly demeanor, stood before Count Reno and took his swollen hand.
"If you can't trust me, then trust Lord Sehem. Your leg can definitely heal. This is not just hope, nor a vain wish."
The young man who once roamed the battlefield had to put down even his sword, which he'd never once let go of, after his leg was injured.
How many times had he despaired as his leg gave out and he stumbled?
His hardships flowed down as a single tear.
"Hold back your tears for now. It's still too early to rejoice."
Rikael turned his head and looked at Jarten.
"Jarten."
I quietly called to Jarten, who had frozen as if broken.
He stood before Count Reno with a dazed expression.
"I didn't know you were a priest of Kahal. Forgive my foolishness for not recognizing a precious person by my side."
"No, I've always been grateful that you took me in. I'm so glad to have this opportunity to repay your kindness, even in this small way…."
Jarten's voice trembled with emotion.
'This isn't so bad, either.'
For me, it was purely a scheme to get Count Reno's staff, but the atmosphere was decent enough to make me think, 'I'm glad I pushed this forward ahead of the original,' with a shameless thought.
"Then I'll excuse myself for a moment, Count."
"By all means."
As Jarten murmured as if in prayer, a brilliant red light spread from his fingertips like a lantern.
He was sweating profusely, pouring in all his strength.
"Phew— It's done. Priest Rikael, please take over."
"Yes, I'll do my best."
Following that, Rikael clasped his hands together, and a radiant white light rippled outward.
"Wow—"
It was a marvel of light, enough to make one forget the situation.
I'd heard he'd recovered all his divine power by eating well and resting, but I didn't expect it to be this much.
Rikael's brow also beaded with sweat from the considerable effort.
Slowly—
The long scar below Count Reno's knee gradually faded, eventually disappearing without a trace.
The blackened skin also became smooth, almost indistinguishable from the original.
The light slowly subsided, as if its work was done.
Rikael slowly opened his eyes and smiled softly.
"Now, get up and try walking slowly."
When Rikael extended his hand to the hesitant Count Reno, he shook his head.
"I'll do it myself."
He slowly stood up.
His widened eyes and slightly open mouth couldn't hide his joy.
Stomp, stomp.
He stomped his feet.
Even doing little jumps, which wouldn't be an exaggeration to call reckless, Count Reno wept at the sight of his leg, as good as new.
"Ah! Thank you. Thank you. How can I ever repay this…!"
After Count Reno had shed tears for a long while and seemed to calm down, Rahan offered his handkerchief.
"Oh my! Thank you. I've made a fool of myself."
Count Reno, realizing belatedly, apologized with a flushed face.
"It was a good sight. I've heard of your reputation, so I look forward to what's next."
When Rahan subtly hinted that they should spar once he was properly conditioned, Count Reno laughed heartily like a child.
"I'm looking forward to it myself. By the way, I never imagined there could be a method like this. Without Priest Rikael, I would have limped for the rest of my life."
All the credit went to Rikael.
'Well, it's easier for me to use Rikael without guilt if he does well.'
I wasn't disappointed.
But Rahan thought differently.
"It wasn't Priest Rikael."
"Pardon? Then who…."
"The woman here found the method."
"Yes! That's right. It wasn't me—it was Lady Lexi who showed us the way."
"Lexi? I've heard that name…! Ah! You're my wife's student. She boasted every day about how quickly you were progressing."
Lady Boreita, who was supposed to watch from a distance, had broken the rules and crept closer, showing me movements or deliberately placing Vinet in front of me to demonstrate.
I knew I was quite appreciated, but I didn't know she bragged about me at home.
"I never expected to receive such help. Thank you, thank you. I don't know how to repay this kindness."
You can repay it with the staff.
"Not at all. I just happened to come across the information."
Just as I was timing my request, an uninvited guest knocked on the door.
"Is Count Reno inside?"
It was Damian's voice.
'Wow… I never expected to run into him here.'
Good thing I'd taken Rikael's robe and put it on beforehand.
Rahan had tried to offer his robe, but it was clearly the Duke of Rohambriga's property and would have attracted unwanted attention.
Rikael's robe, on the other hand, was standard-issue for any priest, so it was perfectly inconspicuous.
"Yes, he's here."
Count Reno tried to walk to the door on his own two feet, and in the meantime, Rahan pulled my hood down low and carefully fastened the buttons.
It all happened in an instant.
"Your Highness, what brings you here?"
"…Your leg is fine."
"Yes, Your Highness. Lord Sehem's grace has touched me."
Since the method I'd shown him could cause confusion if mishandled, Count Reno chose his words wisely without being told.
"Is that so? Congratulations. Then you won't need that relic anymore. Sell it to me."
Damian, appearing out of nowhere as if it were perfect timing, said something absurd.
"It's true that I no longer need it, but as I mentioned before, I promised to return it once it had served its purpose."
He must have coveted the relic many times before.
'Why does he have to covet mine when the imperial palace is full of relics anyway?'
Anyway, he was a man I disliked in every way.
"Don't you need a generous donation anyway? I'll pay the temple directly."
No.
The timing was bad, and Count Reno had donated most of what he had in consultation with his wife.
Unlike the Prince, who received an overflowing allowance, his situation was different.
"No, I hope it goes to someone else in need…."
"I said I need the relic too."
His voice was tinged with irritation.
'He needs personality training first, doesn't he?'
Shouldn't he learn to be a decent person before aiming for the throne?
As Damian kept pressing relentlessly, Count Reno was flustered. Rahan stepped in.
"How about putting the relic up for auction?"
"An auction…?"
"Weren't you planning to hold a charity auction today? Since it's about to start, it might be good to list it as the final item."
"But the temple…."
While Count Reno hesitated, I quickly fed Rikael the lines.
"I think it's a good idea—the donations from the charity auction will be distributed through the temple. It's not just buying it with money; it's a meaningful act. The relic will go to someone who wants it, and Count Reno's wish will also be fulfilled."
"What a bother. Why go around in circles? You could just sell it to me and be done with it."
"Prince Damian."
Rikael called Damian's name.
'I didn't tell him to do that.'
"I believe this is also what Lord Sehem wishes. There will surely be meaning in it."
"Ha, fine. I'll wait."
I was surprised.
Damian was said to be a faithful follower, and Rikael's words seemed true.
Otherwise, someone with that kind of personality wouldn't have backed down so easily.
"More importantly, Duke, I saw your sister."
"Is that so? I'm relieved."
It seems the target this time is me.
"…She wasn't the one I was looking for. Who was that woman with the crimson hair I saw that day?"
"Crimson hair… I'm not sure. I did bring some servants, but I don't remember all of them."
He lumped the lady-in-waiting in with the servants.
'He's really something else.'
Someone who's survived here all his life is different.
"Yes, you're right. You can't remember everyone."
I understand you won't tell me.
His intention seemed to have been conveyed, as Damian frowned as if he'd heard nonsense and left in irritation.
Comments
Post a Comment