Home/I Saved the Villain and Fell Asleep/ch 10
Chapter 10
He definitely said that.
I don't remember exactly how old I was, but there was a time when Mom's complexion grew haggard day by day, and she couldn't get out of bed for a while. When I went to visit her with a bouquet of flowers, Dad picked me up and told me to come back later.
"Dad."
"Hm?"
"Why does Mom just keep lying down? I want to play with her."
"Hmm... Mom is very sick right now. That's why she doesn't have the strength to walk. How about tomorrow, you give Mom flowers and ask her to take a walk with you?"
"Okay!"
And yet he said she was sick?!
After that, Mom often took to her bed. Whenever that happened, our family would move to a villa under the pretext of her recuperation, and Dad would commute between the ducal estate and the villa.
"Dad said you were sick?"
"Yes."
"That man..."
"Hm?"
"Mom was never physically ill."
To meet my eyes as I sat on the bed, Mom bent one knee. Her warm amber-colored eyes looked at me gently.
"I had an illness of the heart."
"Of the heart?"
"From self-blame and regret... it left a knot that became an illness. But now it's fine. It will be fine. So don't worry."
Mom's hand, ruffling the top of my head, was tender. I straightened my tangled hair and asked.
"What did you regret so much?"
Mom sat in front of Caelius and carefully clasped both of his hands. Caelius fidgeted constantly, as if uncomfortable with the touch.
"There were so many things I regretted. I should have visited Eve more often when she seemed uneasy. I should have watched the constellations more closely. Instead of collapsing in shock upon hearing the news, I should have rushed to the Grand Duke's house before the former emperor did. I should have thrown a curse at the former emperor when he blatantly branded Lambert a dark mage."
Mom's voice grew increasingly somber.
"Your uncle who took over the Grand Duke's house the moment Lambert died... Isaac, the Grand Duke. The moment I saw him, my killing intent boiled over, but there was nothing I could do."
"..."
"There was nothing. I tried to restore Lambert's fallen honor, but it was the former emperor's people who handled the aftermath. Nothing remained—everything had burned to ashes."
Caelius's head gradually drooped lower. His shaggy hair hid his expression.
"At that time, the former emperor proclaimed that the Grand Duke, the Grand Duchess, and even the heir had all died. I shouldn't have taken those words at face value."
Mom firmly clasped Caelius's trembling hands.
"Milady, may I come in?"
"Come in."
Along with a maid carrying Sier's old clothes, Chalet entered the room.
"Child, can you wash alone? Or do you need help?"
"...I can do it alone."
"Chalet, just show this child how to use the bathroom. Leave the clothes in the bathroom as well."
"Yes, Milady."
Caelius didn't refuse and quietly entered the bathroom. Watching his small back, I grabbed Mom and sat her down on the bed.
"Mom, so Kalipr was your friend's son?"
"Yes. If Eve were alive, you might have been childhood friends."
"Who was chasing him?"
"Someone who wants Caelius dead... Grand Duke Isaac, most likely. Caelius is the rightful heir, so he'll try to find and eliminate him by any means."
From the very beginning of the original story, Caelius was already the Grand Duke. Grand Duke Isaac, who never even appeared in the original, was highly likely to have been Caelius's first revenge target.
If I give young Caelius some support until he can stand on his own, wouldn't that avoid the Algenprina family's death ending? Since the moment I met Caelius, the original story has already deviated!
Mom chuckled and gently tapped the corner of my eye.
"Are you worried about him? Did you two become close that quickly?"
"Close? Not at all! You don't know how guarded he is!"
At my words, Mom's expression darkened again. It was probably because his face and attitude made it all too clear how he had lived until now.
Mom smiled silently and stroked my head for a while, then suddenly stood up and looked out the window. As if she had seen something in the sky before sunset, she hurriedly drew the curtains and clasped her hands together.
"Look at this."
A pitch-black night sky appeared in Mom's palm. I had seen this before when I was young.
"The night sky of foresight. You've seen it before, haven't you? The cluster of pink and silver stars is our family."
The night sky of foresight—one of the abilities within Mom's unique magic. It wasn't anything grand—just seeing light omens like a noble visiting from the west, or good financial fortune in the coming winter.
"Eh? What's that next to it?"
Next to our family's star cluster floated a single red star. It wasn't a fiery, blazing red—it was a star that shimmered, alternating between black and red with each passing moment.
"Were there stars that change color?"
"Fascinating, isn't it? Eve's husband had a star like this."
Mom, you really don't like Caelius's father, do you.
"When Caelius was born, a star of this color also shone."
"Wait, so this is Caelius's star?"
Mom nodded. Why is Caelius's star visible in the night sky of foresight? And what is this star trying to tell us?
"Is it saying he should run away? That it's dangerous?!"
"Goodness, what are you talking about? Why would he suddenly run away?"
Oh, no, I was just checking. If he goes dark, he'll kill my whole family.
"The bond is very deep. And it's growing deeper."
"Bond? With our family?"
"Hmm, I wonder? Who could it be?"
"What?"
"Hohoho."
"Why are you making that face, Mom?"
"What's wrong with my face? Hoho."
What was that forced laugh about, and why are you looking back and forth between the bathroom and me with such a pleased expression—it's scary!
"No, Mom! Before Kalipr comes out, tell me more. What kind of person is Grand Duke Isaac?"
Now, whenever I asked about Caelius, Mom would give me a strange smile. Honestly! I'm doing all this to save our family!
"The current Grand Duke is Caeli—no, Kalipr's uncle. Czerban Isaac. Lambert's older brother."
"Huh? The younger brother became Grand Duke?"
"That can happen. Look at our ducal house now—the heir isn't Irein, it's Sier, isn't it?"
That's only because Irein absolutely refused, so it passed to Sier.
But if Lambert and Isaac had been close brothers, Caelius would have sought Isaac's help long ago.
"However, you're right, Hari. Lambert and Isaac had a very poor relationship."
The fact that Caelius was told not to trust anyone already made that abundantly clear.
"Isaac was notorious for his cruel and vicious nature. It was only natural that he never became Grand Duke. He always harbored ill will toward Lambert."
Mom's eyes glinted coldly.
"Isaac's time sitting in a position unworthy of him is coming to an end. The master has returned, so it's time to give it back."
"Eh? I thought we were just protecting him? Are you sending him to the Grand Duke's house?"
"No!!"
"Huh?"
Mom's eyes flew open as she shot up from her seat. At the same time, with a resolute expression, she clenched her fist as if she had made up her mind.
"I absolutely cannot send him away!!"
"Eh?"
"The thought of sending that emaciated child to that foul-smelling Grand Duke Isaac is horrifying! I absolutely cannot send him away! If he's Eve's son, then it's only right that I, Rachel, protect him. He probably came here seeking refuge from Isaac. If my coming here to recuperate and meeting that child were fate, then I willingly embrace it."
I couldn't close my gaping mouth.
"I don't know who told the child about the constellation mage, but if that person is alive, I want to kiss them!"
"Mom! C-calm down."
I grabbed Mom's arm just as she was about to burst into full excitement and tried to calm her down.
Where did our elegant Mrs. Choi go? Of course, even Mrs. Choi was unstoppable once she got excited!
"My offer to protect him was sincere. So, Hariella. It seems Caelius will have to stay with the ducal house until he comes of age."
What? Not just helping—he's going to stay?!
The sprout of villainy, Czerban Caelius, will now be under the full support and protection of the Duchess of Algenprina and the Algenprina ducal house.
That means... we'll be living together!
With the future villain!
I was stunned, wondering if such a decision could really be made so quickly, when I heard a click and Caelius emerged from the bathroom. Seeing water dripping from his hair, Chalet approached him with a towel.
"Don't touch me!"
Why is he back to being so guarded after washing up?!
Comments
Post a Comment