Home/I confined you, but I have no ill will/ch 106


Chapter 106


Ibellin watched Rihart, who was escorting her, and suppressed a wry laugh. When she had first been led into the enemy's stronghold—into such a dim, foreboding place—she had braced herself for an immediate battle or to be thrown into a dungeon. She had laid down her weapons willingly precisely to lull them into complacency and create an opening.


But I never expected things to turn out like this.


She had not imagined she would receive a marriage proposal from a prince. Of course, there was no love behind it. Yet, because of his declaration, Ibellin's status had abruptly shifted to that of an honored guest.


The place Rihart guided her to was a grand, lavishly decorated guest chamber. There were plush red velvet sofas, exquisite wooden furniture, and even delicately burning fine beeswax candles. It looked like a room from the imperial palace.


"Your Highness, you must not do this!"


Pavtin openly bristled with indignation, veins bulging as he voiced his protest, but he could not break Rihart's resolve.


"That woman is dangerous!"


He radiated a fierce murderous intent, yet Ibellin merely gave a light shrug. He was trying his best to intimidate her, but it was nowhere near as frightening as facing the barbarians up north. Besides, was there not a powerful figure protecting her now?


"If you need anything, just command the maids outside."


Rihart said this with an air of feigned composure and a smile.


"I will give you ample time to think. Will you enjoy great and comfortable glory, or will you end up like the Unknown? A wise woman will quickly realize which choice is right."


She had expected threats to come, after all. Instead of answering, Ibellin gave an enigmatic smile. Rihart, interpreting it as a favorable sign, left the room with a satisfied look.


"Don't try any tricks! There are eyes watching everywhere!"


Pavtin snarled, hammering the warning home, but she was hardly troubled by it. If she had not been prepared for that much, would she have come along so docilely?


And so Ibellin was left alone. Before long, a maid brought her new clothes—a dress fit for a noble lady of high rank.


"I will help you change," the maid offered.


But Ibellin asked if there were any plainer garments.


"There are none," came the curt reply.


With no choice, Ibellin accepted the maid's help and changed. Since she had already given up most of her weapons, the change of clothes did not matter.


However, she put back on the accessory she had received from Kite, which she had kept from the start. She also did not change her shoes. They were ordinary enough to match almost any outfit, and the maid did not press further on that point.


Thank goodness. Still, it's good to have a few weapons hidden. After all, she had surrendered her visible weapons precisely to conceal these.


"Then please rest comfortably."


Having finished attending to her, the maid bowed and withdrew. The door closed, and a heavy bolt slid into place outside.


Thus, Ibellin was alone. Only then did she relax a little and take a careful look around the room. On the table were simple refreshments and tea that the maid had brought.


In such a situation, poisoning seemed unlikely, but she checked anyway before eating her fill. Since dawn, she had been busy preparing for the engagement ceremony and had barely eaten, so after finishing about half, she felt much better.


I wonder what Kite is doing right now.


He must be looking for her, having disappeared. She felt sorry for not explaining beforehand. She would have to apologize when she returned. With that thought, she touched the accessory. Its cool sensation against her fingertips brought a strange sense of reassurance.


I'm glad I studied up in advance.


Rihart acted like a brilliant man, but in reality, his ambition outstripped his capacity. Pavtin wanted to make Rihart emperor. To them, the Unknown's prophetic ability must have been a convenient tool.


But in truth, the Unknown was using them. By leveraging the pretense of foresight, she had been steering things in the direction she desired.


Why did Ibellin think so? Because if she were in a similar position, she would have done the same.


The Unknown was both different from Ibellin and yet had similarities.


More than that, I need to get out of here.


The image of the building she had passed through on the way came to mind. If possible, she also wanted to speak with the Unknown.


Just as she was pondering this, the firmly shut door opened. Since those guarding outside did not stop the visitor, it was clearly no ordinary guest. She slowly turned to face the newcomer.


"Unknown."


The Unknown leaned against the closed door, staring at Ibellin with relentless intensity. One might say she had come to see a captive, yet from her gaze, it did not seem to be mockery or intimidation. Rather, her eyes were tangled with complex and precarious emotions, as if seeking an answer to something.


"For a prisoner, you look far too comfortable. Have you forgotten that you are in the heart of enemy territory?"


At that, Ibellin answered with poise.


"Why should I not be at ease? I thank you for the gracious hospitality. There is still tea left—would you like a cup? Though it has cooled a little."


The Unknown replied not with words but with a chilling glare.


"Has the prince's paltry offer swayed your heart?"


She continued with a sneer.


"Those who hunger for power inevitably bow their heads toward higher places. Does the comfortable seat of empress tempt you more than standing beside the Grand Duke?"


At the provocative question, Ibellin let out a soft laugh.


"You have a sense of humor."


Ibellin slowly rose from her seat. She approached the Unknown and studied her frame. It seemed she had pushed her body too hard for too long—she looked gaunt. If she rolled up her sleeves right now, they would likely be covered in scars.


"Do I look like someone who would be swayed by such words?"


"What if you are?"


"You're wrong. The only reason I obediently laid down my weapons and entered this room was so I could speak with you, without anyone else's interference."


Ibellin had thought that if she were left alone, the Unknown would surely come to her. The venue had merely changed from a dungeon to a guest chamber.


"...With me?"


"Yes. With you."


Ibellin's gaze met the Unknown's without wavering.


"I have nothing to say to you."


"But I have something to say to you."


"What on earth do you want to talk about?"


"Don't you already know?"


The Unknown closed her eyes briefly, then opened them. The faint emotions that had been visible grew intense. It was as if a towering wave of hatred was surging forward.


"If you know, then you must know what I want. I want Kaylen—his death and his excruciating agony. For that, I will do anything. And you know you're included in that too, don't you? Rihart may be shielding you for now, but how long do you think that will last? He is fickle and proud. The moment you show the slightest sign of refusal, he'll throw you into the dungeon below."


Yet Ibellin stood firm.


"Do you know how terrible that dungeon is? Have you ever endured torture in your life? I wonder how long a delicately raised thing like you can hold out. In the end, you will meet a wretched end, and Kaylen will die writhing in agony."


The curses continued. Malicious words poured over Ibellin. But she did not react. That only seemed to fuel the Unknown's rage further.


In the end, she grabbed Ibellin by the wrist.


"You must suffer too!"


Only then, after a long wait, did Ibellin finally speak.


"I understand your resentment. You must have wanted revenge. But after you take that revenge, what becomes of you?"


"I don't care! As long as I can have revenge, I don't care what happens to me!"


Ibellin cut off the Unknown's words.


Comments