Home/I ended up having a surprise marriage with the male lead/ch 112
Chapter 112
Dominic's eyes flickered imperceptibly as they met hers.
‘Was he startled?’
Emilia blinked at the hint of surprise she had caught from him last night.
Could it have been because of her own discourteous gaze?
Just then, as if on cue, Kaiten introduced her to him.
"This is my wife."
"Ah, I see."
Dominic seemed to ponder something for a moment, then slowly nodded his head.
"It's a pleasure to meet you. I am Emilia Valen."
---
"It's an honor, Duchess."
Dominic quickly composed himself, offering a gentle smile as though he had never shown any sign of surprise.
After that, Emilia naturally continued the conversation with Dominic, asking him various questions.
"Is life in the Holy Kingdom much different from the Empire?"
To an outsider, it might have appeared as mere curiosity about the Hyprian Holy Kingdom, but in truth, every question revolved around Ivan.
She was worried about how the child would adapt to a foreign land.
After a moment of hesitation, Emilia cautiously asked one more thing.
"Your Eminence, do you... like children?"
At that, a faint smile spread across Dominic's lips.
As if he fully understood why she was asking such a question.
Yet, instead of reassuring her with a simple yes, he answered honestly.
"To be frank, I find it difficult to say that I do."
---
Emilia's eyes widened in surprise.
"Perhaps due to my own inadequacies, I often struggle to fathom the hearts of the children within the temple."
He paused briefly, his brow furrowing slightly.
"There is one child in particular who is quite a handful."
As if thinking of someone in particular, Dominic said this, then offered a warm smile.
"However, when I see them growing day by day, I begin to understand a little why children are called God's blessings."
His answer carried such sincerity that Emilia wordlessly studied his face.
Though the conversation had been brief, it was enough to assure her that he would be a good guardian for Ivan.
That must be why Kaiten was entrusting Ivan to him.
‘I can feel at ease.’
Yes. Now that she had spoken with him directly, she should definitely feel reassured and set her mind at rest.
But why, then, did one corner of her heart still feel heavy and hollow?
---
"Thank you, Your Eminence. It was a pleasant conversation."
"The honor was mine, Madam."
With that, Emilia ended her conversation with Cardinal Dominic and walked alongside Kaiten.
After a moment, she glanced up at him and spoke.
"I'll step out for some fresh air."
"Are you unwell?"
Kaiten asked with concern, but Emilia shook her head.
"No, it's just that the ballroom feels a bit stifling."
"Then I'll—"
But just then—
"Your Grace!"
As if they had been waiting for his conversation with the Cardinal to end, several nobles approached Kaiten.
Emilia glanced at them briefly and said,
---
"It's alright. Just about ten minutes."
Frowning slightly, Kaiten opened his mouth.
"If you don't return soon, may I come to find you?"
Emilia laughed and answered.
"Yes, yes. I'll be back quickly so His Grace won't have to come looking for me personally."
Having reassured Kaiten, Emilia stepped out of the ballroom.
"Madam."
Her head lady-in-waiting, Evelyn, who had been waiting outside, immediately approached and looked Emilia over.
"Your makeup has smudged a little."
"Really?"
As Emilia reflexively raised a hand toward her eyes, Evelyn quickly stopped her.
"Would you care to stop by the powder room for a moment?"
"Yes, let's do that."
Taking Evelyn's suggestion, Emilia nodded.
---
"Yes, I'll guide you right away."
Evelyn smiled deeply.
---
As she followed Evelyn down the corridor, Emilia furrowed her brow.
‘Something feels strange.’
Noblewomen attending balls usually stopped by the powder room to touch up their makeup and tidy their attire.
Such moments occurred multiple times throughout the evening.
Yet this corridor was completely empty of people.
Especially strange, considering tonight was the Founding Day ball, with hundreds in attendance.
In the deserted hallway, only the clicking of Emilia and Evelyn's heels echoed.
Then Evelyn stopped before a door.
---
Before she could even grasp the doorknob, the door swung open from inside.
"....!"
Emilia's eyes widened the moment she saw the man emerge from within.
Meanwhile, Evelyn frowned at Cedric and said,
"Why have you come out?"
At that, Cedric shrugged nonchalantly and retorted.
"Well, you were taking so long, I thought the plan might have gone wrong."
Then, smirking slyly, he turned his gaze to Emilia.
"But I guess not?"
‘What on earth is going on?’
Her startled heart now pounded violently.
Emilia took a step back.
And in that moment, instinctively, she tried to flee from this place—
"Hey!"
Cedric grabbed her arm firmly, as if it were the most natural thing in the world.
---
Then he nodded toward Evelyn.
"I'll handle things from here. Hurry up and bring the others."
Evelyn's expression showed she disliked his commanding tone, but she answered nonetheless.
"Understood."
The Evelyn who had kindly told her that her makeup was smudged was nowhere to be seen.
Evelyn glanced at Emilia with an indifferent gaze, then turned and walked away.
Emilia bit her lip hard.
‘What should I do? Should I scream?’
No. It would clearly be useless.
She hadn't encountered a single person while walking down that long corridor.
It would only provoke them further.
Emilia's mind raced as she listened to her own pounding heart.
Then she remembered what Kaiten had said to her earlier.
"If you don't return soon, may I come to find you?"
---
If she couldn't get help from anyone nearby right now...
The only thing she could count on was Kaiten coming to find her.
‘Then at least I need to leave a sign that I'm here.’
Having made up her mind, Emilia immediately put strength into her captured arm.
Then, as if trying to break free from his grasp, she deliberately struggled.
"Let go of me right now, Cedric!"
"Tsk."
Cedric let out a mocking laugh at her struggling, as if it were pathetic, and tightened his grip.
"I said let go!"
Emilia resisted fiercely once more, twisting her body toward a direction out of Cedric's line of sight.
And she dropped the object she had been holding in her bosom into a corner of the corridor.
---
It was something trivial enough not to appear like a possession of the Duchess herself, yet something Kaiten would instantly recognize.
She desperately hoped that Cedric wouldn't notice it and think it was hers.
Furious at having to rely on such a flimsy hope, Emilia pressed her lips tightly together.
And then—
"Just stay still!"
Cedric snapped irritably, yanking her arm and shoving her into the room.
Thankfully, he hadn't noticed the object she had just dropped.
"Ugh!"
Emilia fell to the floor.
At the same time, Cedric closed the door.
"Cedric, you..."
Turning her head, Emilia glared at him and bit her lip.
Cedric curled the corner of his mouth in a grin.
---
As if her angry expression pleased him beyond measure.
"Have you been well?"
Comments
Post a Comment