Home/I ended up having a surprise marriage with the male lead/ch 93


Chapter 93


"So I hope that one day, Your Highness will also marry someone you truly love—just as I have."


"..."


As Selena took the flower in a daze, Kayden looked directly at Aron and spoke clearly.


"Ah, of course, this is a matter that will affect the rest of your life, so you should take your time to consider. And it would be best to wait until after you come of age."


He was both calling out Aron's actions before the nobles and sending a clear message: at least until Selena came of age, she was not to be touched.


"Ha!"


Aron let out a hollow laugh, his eyes blazing with fury.


"You've made your statement before all these nobles. I trust it will be well respected."


As the nobles nodded inwardly—


A scene flashed through Selena's mind.


Surely...


"Is there a hunting competition planned by the imperial household this year?"


"A hunting competition?"


The Duchess, who had asked her that out of the blue.


Selena turned to look at the Duchess in bewilderment.


She only wore a gentle smile.


---


Aron, thoroughly displeased, declared the hunting competition over and returned to the palace without even a closing address.


And Lucas, who had been detained, was released.


"..."


Selena hesitated, looking at her silent knight.


Lucas was naturally furious.


Having only ever seen his playful face, she didn't know what to do now.


"I'm... sorry, Sir Lucas."


Selena bowed her head, unable to look him in the eye.


Lucas asked in a stiff tone.


"What are you sorry for?"


"Just... for everything."


At that, Lucas's brow furrowed.


Honestly, he wanted to scold his mistress for all the worry she'd caused.


But seeing her so deflated, he couldn't.


"...Forget it. I also failed to notice. And, well, I suppose I must have been untrustworthy for you to act that way."


"Th-that's not it..."


Selena shook her head.


It wasn't that she didn't trust him—it was that he was too precious to her.


Lucas looked at her and let out a deep sigh.


"But if something like this happens again, I won't stand by."


"Mm..."


It was a rude thing for a knight to say to his mistress, but Selena's nose tingled.


She hesitated, then approached him and tugged at his sleeve.


"What is it?"


Seeing that, Emilia, who was nearby, made a pointed gesture at Lucas.


"...!"


Catching her meaning, Lucas looked a little taken aback.


But he knelt before Selena.


"U-um, excuse me."


And carefully wrapped his arms around her shoulders.


Selena buried herself in his chest and burst into tears.


"Hic, sob."


The truth was, she'd been terrified. Truly.


She'd wanted to tell Lucas that she didn't want to be sold to Monstera, that she wanted to run away.


Selena sobbed in Lucas's arms for a long time, and Lucas awkwardly patted his young mistress's back.


A short while later.


Selena pulled away from him.


While Lucas frowned at his damp clothes—


Selena, embarrassed by her display, blushed and turned to the ducal couple who had been watching.


"...Duke, Duchess. Thank you."


"It's nothing."


The Duke answered calmly, unbothered.


"I barely did anything."


The Duchess just smiled softly.


At that, Selena spoke with a hint of protest.


"The Duchess even took the hot tea for me that day, and she just said she was fine..."


As she complained to Emilia, Selena paused.


She suddenly felt a sharp aura from somewhere.


She glanced at the Duke of Valen standing beside Emilia.


His brow was twitching—subtly, but unmistakably.


Just then, Emilia stepped forward and knelt before her.


"I'll also take the liberty, Your Highness."


She gently wiped Selena's tears with the handkerchief she'd been carrying.


"Duchess..."


Selena, though shy, quietly accepted Emilia's gentle touch.


While Selena's attention was on Emilia—


Lucas, with an awkward expression, spoke to Kayden.


"I'm grateful for what you did today, Your Grace."


At his thanks, Kayden turned his gaze from Emilia to Lucas.


"...I didn't do it for your thanks."


Then, after a moment's thought, Kayden added in a low voice.


"If you truly wish to repay me, perhaps you could direct your interest elsewhere."


Lucas let out a hearty laugh.


He was impressed that the Duke hadn't missed an opening.


But soon he shrugged.


"That's a separate matter, Your Grace. Didn't you say earlier that it was repayment for the information I gave you?"


"Think of it as repayment for the information you gave me."


Kayden clicked his tongue quietly, regretting having said that.


---


A short while later, Emilia and Kayden headed back to the ducal tent.


But as soon as they returned, Kayden sent all the servants—including Laura—outside.


What?


Emilia sat in the chair Kayden had guided her to, her eyes darting around.


Then she met Kayden's gaze.


She smiled awkwardly and said.


"You worked hard today."


But Kayden's expression only soured further.


Then he spoke in a low voice.


"Is what you said in the carriage still valid?"


"What I said in the carriage?"


Emilia tilted her head at the sudden question.


What did I say?


She thought for a moment, then blinked.


"Are you talking about the winner's prize?"


On the way to the hunting grounds, they'd had a playful conversation to ease the tension.


"Come to think of it, even if you win, you won't actually receive the prize, will you?"


When she'd asked if he felt a bit cheated, Kayden had thought for a moment and said.


"Then you give me one."


At his shameless reply, Emilia's mouth had fallen open.


"All my assets came from you, though?"


When she grumbled that he was trying to take back what he'd given, Kayden replied that he'd give her enough to replace them.


She'd said she'd think about it.


"Is there something you really want from me?"


"Yes."


"What is it?"


Emilia looked at him with curious eyes.


But Kayden didn't answer. Instead, he stepped closer.


"...Wh-what?"


He suddenly grabbed her arm and pushed up her sleeve, and Emilia looked flustered.


But Kayden, still frowning, only examined her arm closely.


"What's this about you getting splashed with tea?"


"Ah..."


Emilia let out a small sigh. He must have heard what Princess Selena had said.


But why did he say "again"?


Though a little puzzled, Emilia explained calmly.


"I just got a little tea spilled on me at the tea party—that's all."


"You told me nothing happened."


"Well... it wasn't really an incident... was it?"


At that, the furrow between Kayden's brows deepened.


"I was going to ask for something else."


He muttered, sounding displeased, then looked at Emilia.


"Forget the prize—let's make a promise."


"A promise?"


Kayden gently rubbed his thumb over her exposed arm.


"Y-your Grace?"


At the ticklish sensation, Emilia flinched.


But instead of letting go, he met her eyes and spoke lowly.


"Promise me that no matter how small, you'll come tell me right away if anything happens."


Comments