Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch62
Episode 62
I quickly made an excuse, trying not to offend Leonid.
"I'm not saying it with bad intentions—I'm genuinely worried! You always say you have no money. Dresses aren't cheap, and to spread rumors beyond the palace, you'd need to spend a lot on various things."
You were the one always complaining about the treasury and budget!
Hearing that so often, I was genuinely worried whether I'd actually receive the promised payment when everything was over.
I didn't say that much, but Leonid, perceptive as ever, looked at me for a moment, then let out a long sigh and muttered.
"Ah, my pride as king is a little wounded..."
"Oh, I didn't mean to offend you..."
As I looked flustered with an apologetic gaze, Leonid shrugged and made a face.
Then, as if shaking it off, he relaxed his expression and smiled wryly.
"That much is more than enough from my personal funds. The treasury being empty just means the previous administration was that problematic—it's not so empty that we're in serious trouble, so don't worry."
"Hehe. That's right. Lord Leonid always says that, so Lady Rielle naturally believed it."
As the Chancellor quietly chided him, Leonid scratched the back of his head.
"If I don't say it, those fools will only think about spending the budget."
"Ah!"
At his irritated response to the Chancellor, I finally understood.
It wasn't that the treasury was truly empty—it was to keep the nobles from wasting money.
And I immediately felt relieved.
"Ah, then I don't have to worry about my compensation."
Oops, I let my true feelings slip.
I quickly covered my mouth with both hands. Leonid's annoyed expression softened.
"Was that your concern? Don't worry."
"Yes."
As if to wrap up the conversation, Leonid pointed to the door connecting to the study.
"Then go to the next room and transform into Jamila. Actually, designers are already waiting at the annex. I'll summon them soon—you can pick dresses, jewels, and shoes to your heart's content."
At Leonid's words, recalling the phrase "I'll take everything from start to finish," my eyes sparkled.
"Um, then there's no budget limit?"
"Right. Jamila's personality wouldn't be satisfied with just a little, would it?"
"Th, that's true?"
The character we'd created for Jamila was a woman with vanity as her flaw.
She loved spending money and using most of it to adorn herself.
That way, Godwin would see an opening to exploit.
"So go ahead and buy whatever you want."
At Leonid's declaration, my heart raced with excitement. I clasped my hands together as if in prayer and looked at him in admiration.
It was as if I could see a halo around his face for the first time.
The halo of money, that is.
Wow, so this is what it feels like to have a black card in hand.
"I admire you. Honestly, my dream has always been to shop without limits at least once."
With sparkling eyes, I praised Leonid.
I sent him such an intense gaze that I felt like I could hug him right then and there, overwhelmed with emotion. Leonid looked at me, startled.
"Wh, why are you looking at me like that?"
"Because I admire you so much. If I were a man, I'd want to hug you tight and show you how happy I am!"
At my wide-eyed gaze, Leonid looked at me as if observing something curious.
No matter how he looked at me, I would only forgive and admire you, my benefactor!
"...You're that happy?"
"Yes!"
"About shopping?"
"No?"
Actually, I wasn't that fond of shopping.
I only bought what I needed, and window shopping wasn't a hobby either.
I nodded enthusiastically with sparkling eyes, but when I heard the word 'shopping,' my expression flipped, and I shook my head. Leonid tilted his head.
"Then?"
"I just wanted to experience spending money without limits at least once in my life."
Doesn't everyone wish for that at least once?
To just buy whatever they want without restrictions.
"Huh... somehow that's scary. How much are you planning to spend..."
"I don't think she's planning to spend enough to buy a country, is she?"
At Leonid's fearful expression, the Chancellor asked worriedly. I waved my hands and joked.
"Oh, it's just a figure of speech. Of course I wouldn't spend that much. It's just that Leonid's words, 'buy whatever you want,' were so touching. I'll take the sentiment and spend only what's reasonable."
Oh well, that's the end of that.
But I kept my expression in check and, recalling Jamila's persona, asked another question.
"But with Jamila's character, I'm not sure... I don't know how much noble ladies usually spend. How much would be considered extravagant when ordering clothes?"
"Good question. I don't have sisters, so I wouldn't know..."
"I don't have a daughter either..."
Leonid and the Chancellor exchanged troubled glances, trailing off.
Fortunately, Oren, who had been helping Cael, answered simply.
"Well, since the maid assigned to her knows our plan, she'll say, 'It would be better if you stopped here.' Then you can order one or two more items and call it a day."
"...Oh."
"...Huh."
"Wow! What a great idea!"
I clapped in genuine admiration.
The Chancellor and Leonid also looked at Oren with the same reaction.
Only Cael remained indifferent, signing his documents.
Oren, organizing the papers beside him, added one more piece of advice.
"And make sure to act disappointed—that would be even better."
"I see. I'll definitely do that."
"Go on, then. You have a date with me this afternoon, Rielle."
"!"
Seeing no more documents on Cael's desk, he must have finished.
Cael gave me a look as if to remind me not to forget. Leonid, watching from the side, grumbled disapprovingly.
"Why did it have to be today for your date? You could have done it tomorrow."
Cael gave a crooked smile and spoke.
"Are you aware that I've been letting things slide for you? Because of that, things have been delayed on our side too."
Huh? Was that true?
I couldn't interject, but I inwardly tilted my head.
Maybe having only one official date a week was indeed the problem.
"Th, that's true, but we were busy with our own work..."
Leonid, looking sheepish, spoke as if making an excuse. Cael, not letting it slide, turned his head away sharply and cut him off coldly.
"I'm busy too. And I need to make time for Allen, and Rielle needs rest days too."
At Cael's words, Leonid nodded understandingly.
"Ah, that's true..."
"So Rielle, hurry up and finish your work."
"Ah, yes. I'll be off then."
At Cael's words, I bowed and quickly moved to the adjacent room.
Inside, the two maids I'd been introduced to as Jamila's helpers were waiting.
With their help, I changed clothes.
Since the setting was that I'd entered the palace yesterday, my outfit was deliberately plain, as if temporary.
The maids were Leonid's closest aides and had seen my transformed appearance as Jamila the day before, so I transformed without hesitation.
Soon, the designers arrived, carrying dresses, fabric samples, jewelry boxes, catalogs, shoes, and everything else in a flurry.
Since Jamila was set to be proud and haughty, I crossed my legs on a plush sofa and greeted them with a condescending look.
My gaze seemed to make the designers tense up as they looked at me and took sharp breaths.
Watching the merchants hold their breath and watch my expression, I steeled myself.
I shouldn't be nice.
To act the villainess to the fullest.
Now, here we go.
Comments
Post a Comment