Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch66


Episode 66


"The ribbon, you mean?"

"Yes. The ribbon is glowing."


Swish—

At my words, Cael untied the ribbon binding his hair and looked at it.

As I said, the ribbon was still emitting a blue glow.


"Your Grace!!"

"!!"


From the lakeshore, knights could be heard calling for Cael.

The attack seemed to have stopped, as no more arrows were flying.

At the knights' call, Cael handed me the ribbon.

"For now, hold on to this. We need to move to the shore."

"Yes."


I nodded, holding the ribbon carefully in both hands.

Cael sat back down in his original position, took the oars he had set aside, and rowed the boat swiftly back, much faster than before.

"Are you alright?"

"Are you hurt!"


As soon as we reached the shore, the knights crowded around the boat.

One of them steadied it, and Cael reached out with both arms and lifted me up.

"!!"


Before I could even scream, he carried me princess-style and stepped lightly off the boat onto the shore.

Then, as if prepared in advance, a knight draped a cloak over me, shielding my face.

I tried to struggle to be put down, but with my face and body covered by the cloak, I had no choice but to stay still in Cael's arms.


Through the cloak, I could hear Cael questioning the knights.

"Have you confirmed where the arrows came from?"

"There were two locations, but by the time we arrived, the attackers were gone. We've formed teams of two to pursue them."

"Collect the arrows and have them examined."

"Yes, sir."

"Were there any injured nearby?"

"Fortunately, no one was hit by the arrows."


I remembered that five knights on horseback had been waiting to depart with us before we came here. I was surprised to learn there had been so many guards watching over us without my knowledge.

"What about the carriage?"

At Cael's question, a knight in the distance gestured.

"It's on its way."


While waiting for the carriage, I grew uncomfortable staying in Cael's arms.

I was fine—I could stand on my own feet.

But it was embarrassing to lift the cloak and show my face in front of the knights to ask him. Instead, I tugged at his collar.

"It's alright, Rielle. Don't worry. The carriage will be here soon."


No, please put me down.

I subtly kicked my feet, hoping he would notice, but Cael just held me and whispered softly.

"Nothing will happen, so don't worry."


This man definitely knows what I'm trying to say and is pretending not to notice.

I gave up on asking to be put down and stayed still in his arms.

At least the cloak was still covering my face, so I couldn't see the knights' curious stares—I took solace in that.


"The carriage is here!"


I heard voices and the sound of carriage wheels in the distance.

As soon as the carriage arrived, Cael opened the door and removed the cloak covering me.

Fortunately, no knights were nearby.

"Get in."


With Cael's support, I was able to climb into the carriage easily.

After confirming I was seated, he closed the door and spoke to me.

"I'll ride alongside the carriage, so don't worry—just stay seated."

"Yes. Be careful."


It seemed he thought it better to stay outside and watch the situation rather than ride inside with me.

Understanding his meaning, I nodded.

I was scared, but I couldn't whine for him to stay with me, and it was best to follow his instructions.


The entire ride back to the mansion, I couldn't stop fidgeting with anxiety.

After nearly two hours of nonstop speeding, the carriage finally stopped, and the door opened.

"Rielle."


Cael opened the door and called me.

Seeing the familiar mansion entrance behind him, I felt the tension release in relief.

"We're here."

"Yes, come this way."

"Okay..."


I got up from my seat and walked toward the door. I must have been more tense than I realized—I staggered without meaning to.

Before I could even gasp in surprise, Cael caught me and lifted me in his arms.

Even I was startled, but I couldn't even muster the strength to ask him to put me down.

"I'm sorry... my legs won't hold me."

"You did well not to faint. You've been through a lot."

"Thank you for saving me."

"I only did what I had to. I'll take you to your room."


He carried me inside and quickly climbed the stairs.

I was too weak to do anything but rest my face against his shoulder.

I was utterly exhausted.


The butler, who had heard the news belatedly, came running with a flustered expression. Cael shook his head.

"Wait for me in the study."

"Yes."


After sending the butler away, Cael opened the door to my room and entered.

"Excuse me."


He laid me on the bed and straightened up.

I lay back as he set me down, then noticed the ribbon still in my hand and sat up.

Curious about something, I called Cael back as he turned to leave.

"More importantly, what was that earlier? That blue..."

"Ah, you mean the barrier."

"Yes. The arrows came from behind you, and then suddenly it appeared."

"It seems the ribbon activated it."

"This ribbon I made for you?"

"Yes."

"Oh..."


I was confused.

Why would the ribbon I made do that?

Had I secretly been a mage or a sorceress?


Seeing me tilt my head, Cael explained.

"The ribbon appears to have been enchanted. It seems to have automatically defended against attacks. It likely activates when there's a physical threat or when danger is detected for the wearer. It might have been a one-time effect, as you can see the ribbon's edge is burnt here..."


As he pointed out, the edge of the ribbon in my hand was singed.

"Magic?"

"Yes. Have you ever studied magic?"

"Of course not. Ah..."


I remembered the book I'd borrowed from the mansion's library when making the ribbon.

"Cael, this ribbon."

"Ah."

"Oh, the glow is gone."

"The barrier's light disappeared from the time we reached the shore."

"I see. Anyway, Cael—the cloth and thread used for the ribbon were purchased from a shop through the maid here. But I think it's worth examining the pattern rather than the ribbon itself."

"The pattern?"

"Yes. Actually, I embroidered this pattern by copying it from a book of blessings in the ancient language at the mansion's library."


At my words, Cael asked in surprise.

"A book of blessings in the ancient language?"

"Yes. It wasn't thick—it had drawings of blessings for safety, protection, and health. The patterns were unique and pretty, so I referenced them."


Cael fell silent.

I continued.

"Since it was meant to be a gift of gratitude, I wanted it to carry a good meaning..."

"Meaning?"

"Oh, yes. The pattern on Cael's ribbon was based on a charm meaning 'protection from evil'..."

I finally understood why the barrier had appeared and trailed off. Cael chuckled and nodded.

"So that's why the barrier activated and deflected the arrows."

"Wow..."


I covered my mouth with my hand in amazement, fascinated.

Something magical had happened from a ribbon I made.

I looked at my own hands and muttered.

"Does that mean I have talent?"

"Hard to say. We'd need to experiment with someone else first."

"Yes! Definitely!"


My heart pounding, I nodded vigorously.

If I had this kind of ability, I could make multiple items—they could help others, maybe even be sold!

"By the way, what did you give to Leonid?"


Recalling that I had also given a ribbon to Leonid, Cael asked.

I clapped and answered.

"Oh, it's the same pattern."

"...I see."


His reply seemed to pause for a moment, and his expression didn't look particularly bright.


Comments