Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch71


Episode 71


Lady Rosaly Haridview's dress was clearly made of expensive fabric—visible at a glance.

White with pale turquoise ribbons and lace, the design emphasized cuteness over femininity.

Her brown curly hair was braided on both sides, giving her a youthful, age-appropriate style that showed she had put considerable effort into her appearance.


However, her looks were so plain compared to the flower of society, Isabelle, or her father Godwin, who was beautiful enough to seem ageless, that one might question if they shared the same bloodline.

No matter how kindly one tried to put it, her face was quite ordinary.

Perhaps that was why—whether the first time I met her, the second, or now the third—I never saw confidence in her expression.

There was no noble arrogance, none of the haughtiness or rivalry I'd seen from the young ladies at the palace.


When the door opened, our eyes met first, and then she noticed my position in Cael's arms. Her olive eyes shifted.

"......"

For just a moment, I caught her gaze wavering.

Together with that fleeting expression, I could guess that she liked Cael.

But she quickly composed herself, her face hardening into a stiff, expressionless mask, much like Cael's public demeanor.

"It's an honor to meet you, Duke. I am Rosaly Haridview."


Her thin, slightly trembling voice echoed in the room.

I couldn't help but admire the graceful way she bowed to Cael.

Etiquette had been the first thing I learned upon arriving at this mansion.

I'd been impressed when I first saw my tutor's noble bow, but Lady Rosaly's was even more elegant.

"I'm short on time, so I'd appreciate it if you could get straight to the point. Please sit."


Unlike Rosaly, Cael's cold voice came from above my head.

"Then, excuse me."


At Cael's words, Lady Rosaly carefully sat on the sofa opposite us.

She sat upright, facing forward, and since I was directly in her line of sight, her steady gaze began to feel increasingly uncomfortable.

I don't know where to look!


I glanced away from her.

My etiquette teacher had taught me never to meet the eyes of a higher-ranking noble.

In my previous world, I'd have exchanged names with someone I just met, but in this hierarchical fantasy world, I couldn't.

As a commoner or low-ranking noble, I couldn't speak or greet first—it was against etiquette.

And Rosaly was not just any noble—she was the daughter of the Grand Duke, the late king's brother.

The top of the top among nobles.

Any mistake would be dangerous, so I could only watch carefully.

Not much time had passed since I entered, but there was more than enough time for her to ask about me.

I waited for an opportunity to greet her, but no question about me ever came.

I vaguely understood the situation.

It seemed Lady Rosaly intended to ignore my existence entirely.

Honestly, I'd be grateful not to be asked, but being caught between the two was driving me crazy.


After staring at Cael for a while, Rosaly quietly spoke.

"This is a rather important matter, so I would prefer to speak with you alone."


At her welcome suggestion that I leave, I started to get up.

We'd already shown enough of our lover-like relationship—there was no need for me to stay for important matters.

But just as I was about to stand, Cael's large hand fixed my waist, preventing me from moving.

"Well, we share so much already. I don't see any problem with her staying."


I couldn't see what expression Cael was wearing behind me, but Rosaly's gaze wavered again in surprise.

But I want to leave...

"About that unpleasant interruption two days ago that ruined our good time."


As if to flaunt it, Cael's chin rested on my shoulder, and he began leaning his face against my head.

Clinging to me so obviously, I broke into a cold sweat.

I could clearly see Rosaly's gaze growing colder by the second.

They say quiet people are scariest when angry.

No matter how much you want to flaunt it, isn't there a limit?


Finally unable to bear it, I turned my head, covered Cael's ear with my hand, and whispered quietly.

"Please save me..."

"Heh!"


When I pulled my mouth from his ear and looked at him pleadingly, Cael finally laughed briefly, covering his mouth with his hand.

"Unfortunately, my lover is having a hard time, so I'll let her go."


Phew—

At Cael's words, I sighed in relief.

I desperately wanted to go to my room and lie down.

But not content to end it there, Cael committed another atrocity in front of Rosaly.

Smack—


His warm lips gently pressed against my cheek and then left.

"Oh..."

"It's a shame, but please go rest. I'll finish quickly and come find you."


I hadn't expected another kiss, so I touched my cheek and looked at him, bewildered.

Then I snapped out of it and glanced at Rosaly.

"...!"


Her eyes were wide in disbelief, staring at us.

And this time, a fierce, murderous gaze was directed at me.


"I, I'll take my leave."


I hurriedly escaped Cael's arms, set my feet on the floor, and stood up.

I nodded to Cael and fled the drawing room without looking back.

Then, once in my room, I flopped onto the bed and thrashed around.


---


Thud—


A sheet of white paper, covered in dense writing, fell before her.

Before even picking it up to examine it, Rosaly shifted her olive eyes to her father, who was reading documents in front of her.

"What... is this?"

"Tomorrow, inform the Harkelder Ducal residence of your visit. Meet the Duke, show him that document, and bring up the engagement."

Rosaly carefully picked up the paper and quickly scanned it.

Then she looked at Godwin and asked again.

"Isn't this... a document concerning the carriage accident of the former Duke and Duchess?"

"Yes. I intend to hand over an important piece of evidence to him."


At Godwin's smiling face, Rosaly's heart sank.

Important evidence.

Anxiety made her olive eyes tremble, as if she were about to cry.

"But Father, that's... that's..."

"Rosaly. Enough."

"!"


It wasn't a kind tone meant to calm a tearful daughter.

He simply cut her off with a commanding glare and ordered.

"Your whining is tiresome."

"Huff..."


His expression was contemptuous, his tone cold.

Rosaly looked around the room.

There was a reason for his true nature to show—no one was in the room except his trusted butler.

Godwin was a perfectionist and meticulous.

Even within the mansion, only his closest confidants knew his true nature.

He maintained a perfectly kind, family-oriented, and gentlemanly demeanor even in front of the maids.


Until she learned her purpose, Rosaly had never doubted her father's facade.

Knowing she was useless in the family because of her plain looks, she was almost grateful for what she was given.

But then she discovered her father's true nature—and he discovered her hobby.

He revealed his true self to her without hesitation and gave her a new purpose.

If she wanted what she desired, she had to produce results. If she didn't want to be married off to some distant place, she had to do what was asked without complaint.

Even murder.


Comments