Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch73
Episode 73
About two weeks had passed since Lady Rosaly's visit to the mansion.
Cael had tightened security around the estate, wary of any moves Grand Duke Godwin might make.
Fortunately, the days passed without incident.
In the meantime, I had finished making the experimental ribbons.
For various tests, I also asked a maid skilled in embroidery to make ribbons with the same pattern as mine.
Since the ancient magic activation tests couldn't be known by ordinary knights, only I, Cael, Captain Jamie, Vice-Captain Oren, and Aide Ais observed in the indoor training grounds.
The results were surprisingly simple to summarize.
Strangely, the ancient magic didn't require us to chant spells or touch the ribbons to activate.
It simply activated on its own, as if protecting the wearer when a threatening attack approached, creating a barrier.
It was fascinating in a way, but since it was ancient talismanic magic, I decided to just accept it as it was.
The ancient blessing pattern book I'd referenced wasn't thick.
I also searched the royal library through Leonid, but most of the content overlapped with what was in the ducal library.
And since I couldn't test every pattern, I selected a few that seemed important and made ribbons from them.
In the end, only patterns that could block physical attacks were activated.
Those related to health, grief, or poison showed no effect at all.
Moreover, only the ribbons I made activated the magic.
Since one maid wasn't enough to confirm, I asked knights and priests who could handle aura to test them, but the magic didn't activate for them either.
It would have been good to ask a mage too, but Cael opposed it, saying we shouldn't give the Mage Association any leverage.
The royal mage at the palace was also under contract but belonged to the association, so we couldn't ask them either.
In this world, the position of mages felt—how should I put it—like engineering nerds to me?
Due to the great war in the past, high-ranking mages died, and succession failed, leaving only seven mages in the entire world who could use proper offensive magic.
They each chose to stay in their own countries, the Mage Association, or live in seclusion.
Because they weren't active, there was no proper transmission of knowledge.
Mages had to rely on books and experiments to improve their own abilities.
In the end, the remaining mages began only making low-risk magical items—like a factory.
Anyway, we couldn't test it with a mage, but Cael seemed confident that only my creations would activate the talismans.
He and his close associates discussed possible reasons, but they reached no conclusion.
After all, I wasn't like the legendary saintesses of old temples who possessed holy power.
I listened quietly, feeling a bit guilty, but I acted as if I didn't know.
Perhaps it was because I had been possessed.
The one thing that set me apart from everyone here was exactly that.
But since I couldn't say it openly, I just put on a puzzled expression along with the others.
The cause was unknown, but the results were clear, so I made ribbons as talismans for each person.
For Cael, Jamie, Oren, and the Chancellor—Leonid already had one, so I excluded him—and two for myself.
I made them with different patterns from Jamila's, in case anyone noticed, and two spares.
"Alright, let's pack them."
I carefully placed the ribbons in a small wooden box and tucked it into my pouch.
Tomorrow was the banquet at the palace, and I was supposed to transform into Jamila and stay at the palace starting today, so I needed to leave now.
I didn't have much to pack. After saying goodbye to Allen and Angel, I boarded the carriage.
Riding with Oren, I transformed into a male servant and naturally acted as his attendant before arriving at the main building.
Since Oren wouldn't be staying at the palace today, I was introduced to one of Leonid's close aides before entering Jamila's room.
While a knight stood guard outside, I was informed that Jamila was to have dinner with Leonid this evening.
I had thought the transformation ring was all-powerful, but I discovered one flaw.
The maximum transformation time was only six hours.
I hadn't known because I'd never stayed transformed longer than that—I learned it by accident while practicing as Jamila.
Fortunately, the transformation wore off in a place where someone knew about the ring.
Even if I transformed again, the duration was still only six hours.
I didn't know the exact mechanism, but I learned that after six hours of being transformed, I could use it again, or if a day passed, I could transform without waiting a full six hours.
Since today's schedule was just dinner, time should be sufficient.
With the maids' help, I dressed and styled myself as Jamila.
Then, at the knight's knock from outside, I transformed into Jamila and followed the escort.
"Hm?"
"What's wrong?"
Walking along the long corridor inside the main building, I tilted my head in curiosity.
I hadn't seen all of the main building, so I didn't know every path, but this didn't seem to be the way to the dining hall.
"It feels like we're heading outside..."
"That's correct. His Majesty instructed us to guide you to the garden."
"The garden?"
As we stepped outside, the garden was not the one I knew.
Every path seemed heavily guarded.
Noticing my curiosity, the knight smiled and explained again.
"This is the garden connected to His Majesty's quarters. You can go straight ahead—our duty ends here."
"Ah, thank you."
I bowed briefly and followed the path through the garden.
"Wow!"
Mana stones lined both sides, casting a soft glow along the path.
Following the path, a white gazebo came into view.
Wisteria climbed the white pillars, its pale purple blossoms hanging in clusters like grapes, drawing a gasp of admiration.
The area around the gazebo was equally beautiful.
Unique flowers released lovely scents, blending with the lights and making it feel like a special place.
"Welcome, Jamila."
Leonid, leaning slightly against one of the pillars, called me with a smile.
"Ah... um, good evening, Your Majesty."
I nearly greeted him in my usual tone, but I quickly closed my mouth and spoke again.
I wasn't Rielle right now—I was Jamila.
I had to embody a woman who loved extravagance, was confident, and haughty.
As I greeted him in Jamila's established tone, Leonid, who had been leaning crookedly against the pillar, bowed his head.
"?"
I noticed his shoulders trembling slightly.
By now, I knew Leonid's behavior patterns well enough to tell he was shaking with suppressed laughter.
"What's so funny?"
At my question, he lifted his head, finally letting out a laugh.
"Hehe. You don't have to act like Jamila today. I've stationed only people who know the situation around here."
"Ah!"
"You'll have a tough time starting tomorrow, so let's take it easy tonight."
"Thanks for the consideration."
I smiled, thinking of the full-scale banquet starting tomorrow.
"Now, my lady."
Swish—
Leonid straightened from the pillar, clasped his hands behind his back, bent slightly, and offered one hand before me.
It was an escort gesture to help me down the few steps. I placed my hand on his palm, now fairly accustomed to the gesture.
"Thank you."
"My pleasure."
His fine, thread-like honey-blonde hair freely scattered in the evening breeze, and his cobalt-blue eyes, illuminated by the light, caught my attention.
I had almost forgotten.
This man was as beautiful as a radiant light.
Comments
Post a Comment