Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch75


Episode 75


It was no surprise.

A commoner woman had dared to boldly link arms with the exalted King in front of so many people, including nobles—of course they would be shocked.

But I brushed off their reactions with a laugh and winked at Leonid.

"Tonight, you must dream of me."

"You too."


Leonid, who had started to turn away, stopped and came back.

He leaned down, bent his head close to mine, and whispered low in my ear.

"After you go in, ask the maid to teach you the intimate etiquette between a man and a woman in the palace. I'd like you to study it a bit."

"...?"


Expecting something important, I was caught off guard and whispered back just as quietly.

"...I've already learned some of it to a degree."


At my words, Leonid scratched his cheek with his index finger and looked troubled.

It seemed he was having trouble explaining clearly, so I tried to elaborate.

But Leonid was faster.

He pushed open the door to the room, making space for me to enter, and whispered again.

"If you say 'between a man and a woman' to the maid, she'll understand and explain."

"...Yes."


With curious gazes focused on us, I kept my words brief and nodded.

"Right. Anyway, I'll do my best too. Goodnight."

"Yes. Sleep well."


As I entered, Leonid closed the door behind me.

Hearing the footsteps of many people moving away, I confirmed he had left and looked at the two waiting maids.

One of them, the older one, had introduced herself as Esther.

She had served Leonid since childhood, and her son was also a knight in the royal guard.

"I'll help you prepare for bed."


She approached me as she spoke.

As she helped me out of my dress, I asked her as Leonid had suggested.

"About the intimate palace etiquette between men and women?"

"Yes. His Majesty said you would teach me if I asked."

"Hmm..."


Esther paused, unfastening the back of the dress, deep in thought.

Then she asked me,

"By any chance, did you do something particular in front of His Majesty?"

"Ah, well..."


I began explaining the situation.

Since Jamila was meant to be bold and provocative, I'd decided to engage in more adult-like physical affection with Leonid in front of the nobles at the banquet.

"Adult-like... affection, you say?"

At Esther's wide-eyed question, I explained Jamila's character.

"Yes, considering Jamila's persona, it wouldn't suit her to act shy over a simple handhold."

"That's... true."

"So, for example..."


I raised my hands in front of the two maids and interlaced my fingers, explaining.

I said it might be effective to show intimate gestures like interlacing fingers and subtly stroking the other's palm.

"Hmm..."

"?"


After watching my hand movements, Esther gave a troubled smile.

It was the kind of look a mother gives when she sighs, thinking what am I going to do with you?

The other maid, meanwhile, had turned red.

"Is it too suggestive? I feel like I've been crossing the line without realizing... it's only just dawning on me."

"Yes, I'd like to commend you for finally noticing."


Esther smiled faintly and explained.

"Lady Jamila. That gesture is indeed an intimate signal, but it's one that would cause a great scandal if displayed in public."

"...Why?"

"Because that gesture means 'come to my room tonight.'"

"?!"

At Esther's words, I opened my mouth in shock. The younger maid cleared her throat and added,

"Actually, it's even more explicit than that. It's closer to meaning 'I'm ready, so all you have to do is come.'"

"Huh?!"


Ready!?

All I have to do is come!!

My face turned bright red, and I hurriedly made excuses.

"I, I didn't know! I just thought it was a deep gesture between lovers..."


In my previous world, it didn't carry such a strong meaning—this world seemed to be different.

Seeing me flustered and stammering, Esther laughed with amusement.

"Oh dear, His Majesty must have been quite taken aback. If you'd done that in public..."

"Oh, we were alone when I did it. I really didn't know. I'd have been in real trouble if I'd done it tomorrow."


I recalled Leonid bowing his head and covering his face during dinner.

Realizing he had been struggling to figure out how to explain it to me, I felt like dying of embarrassment.

And I'd been enthusiastically explaining it without knowing...


Now I had a new memory to kick my blanket over tonight, and I felt my cheeks burning.

Esther, laughing with the maid, said, "Let's get you washed and ready for bed first," and helped me undress the rest of the way.


After my bath, Esther and the maid explained the intimate gestures used in the palace.

I had to study them hard, taking notes on their meanings.

I memorized them like I was preparing for an exam—so I wouldn't make the same mistake again!


---


Snap—


A fan, made of white pearls woven together with a red rose corsage, opened in the air with a crisp sound.

Holding the fan with its intricately crafted emerald lace handle, I carefully examined Jamila's reflection in the mirror.

The emerald-green dress, lavishly designed, matched Jamila's red hair beautifully.

It bared her white shoulders, and the cut followed her body line from her slender waist down to her hips, with a slit that revealed a hint of her thigh when she walked.

Put unkindly, it might seem vulgar, but Jamila's face was so stunning that it actually gave her a regal, bewitching presence.

Gold pins, matching her golden eyes, adorned her red hair, and Esther had carefully set her curls so they swayed like flames with every movement.

And around her neck, a necklace gleamed in the mirror.

A large cobalt-blue sapphire sparkled—a necklace that subtly echoed the color of Leonid's eyes.

Clearly meant to show whose woman she was.


Through the door, I could hear various voices in succession.

The investiture ceremony for knights and nobles had ended, and the banquet had begun—the debut ceremony for the young noble ladies was underway.

As Leonid and I had agreed, I waited in the royal waiting room adjacent to the banquet hall until the debut ceremony was over.


A knock came from the door.

"Yes."

Click—

"You may prepare to come out soon."

One of the escorting knights opened the door and said.

I nodded and checked my reflection one last time.

"Let's do this."


Don't be scared. I can't wear a frightened or nervous expression.

Looking at myself in the mirror, I steeled my resolve, changed my gaze, and began to act as Jamila.

I left the room and walked toward the banquet hall under the knights' escort.

Every noble I passed stared at me in surprise, unable to look away.


Entering the banquet hall, I looked for the King.

Leonid, who had to choose one of the debutantes for the first dance, was standing not far away.

Both Leonid and Esther had strongly insisted that Jamila should start by interrupting the first dance and becoming his partner instead.

To do that, I walked quickly toward Leonid.

"!"


On the way, I met Cael's eyes.

He had originally not planned to attend, but had changed his schedule after Jamila's appearance.

I remembered Esther saying they needed to see what Godwin would do.

As expected, in contrast to Leonid's bright colors, Cael was wearing a dark navy tailcoat.

His gaze seemed surprised to see me. I had to look away casually.

If I acted like I knew him, it would be a problem.


Averting my gaze, I passed right before Cael and stood beside Leonid, linking my arm through his.

"Your Majesty."

At my appearance, Leonid's expression shifted from blank to bright, and he called my name affectionately.

"Jamila."


At his call, the young ladies before him and the nobles watching from nearby all gasped in unison, the sound echoing through the hall.

"!!"


Comments