Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch78


Episode 78


"Oh my, the Grand Duchess is so angelically beautiful that I momentarily forgot you were the same person."

I deliberately widened my eyes, then covered my mouth with both hands and blinked as if startled.

"...!"

At my words, she subtly glanced at the Grand Duke beside her, as if checking his reaction.

Remembering that, noble or Grand Duchess as she was, she was only eighteen, I smiled and continued to provoke her.

"People make mistakes, so it's fine. Don't be alarmed. These things happen. His Majesty did warn everyone not to be rude to me at the banquet, but I'm an adult, so I can understand. Right, Your Majesty?"

"If you wish it, I'll let it slide this once."

"Ugh..."


My light teasing clearly wounded her pride. Isabelle looked furious. Being looked down upon by a commoner must have been especially humiliating.

I know, I'm being insufferable, aren't I?

Without the King's protection, I was a lowly being who couldn't even speak to her—so my condescension must have been infuriating.


The Grand Duke's expression also didn't look pleased.

Unlike the immature Isabelle, however, he was an adult and seasoned, maintaining a benevolent expression.

Realizing her mistake, Isabelle bit her lip in frustration.

In principle, she should have apologized, but her pride wouldn't allow her to apologize to someone so far beneath her.

In the end, she chose only to thank Leonid.

"Thank you, Your Majesty."


Then, turning to me with a cold gaze, she snapped her fan open and warned me.

"This is not a place for you to interfere. I suggest you reconsider your position."


At her remark about knowing my place, I widened my eyes and covered my mouth with my fingertips, looking as if I'd been deeply hurt.

At my reaction, both the Grand Duke and Grand Duchess's brows twitched.

"I'm sorry, Grand Duchess. I forgot my place... sob..."

"Jamila!"


As if on cue, Leonid rushed over and shielded me protectively.

Then, soothing me, he turned his anger toward Isabelle.

"Grand Duchess, I clearly warned you—have you lost your mind?"

"Your, Your Majesty. I..."


I grabbed Leonid's sleeve with trembling hands and shook my head.

"No, Your Majesty. The Grand Duchess isn't wrong. I know well that I am of humble birth compared to her."


A single tear rolled down my cheek at just the right moment.

All those hours practicing tearful acting in front of the mirror had paid off. Even I thought Jamila's crying was beautifully tragic.


Leonid looked at me with pity and comforted me.

"How can you say such things?"

"But, Your Majesty, I know my place. As the Grand Duchess said, I don't deserve to stand beside you."

"You are more than worthy—please don't say such things."


As we acted like star-crossed lovers in our own world, Isabelle's expression darkened.

Having made our point, I glanced at the Grand Duke and met his eyes.

Hoping he understood, I continued.

"I only need Your Majesty's love. Just this necklace, given as proof of your love and resembling your beautiful eyes, is enough for me..."


I traced the large sapphire at my neck with my slender fingers, as if boasting—especially with a secret smile directed at the Grand Duke.

"Isn't it beautiful? Such a splendid size... I am simply overjoyed by the love Your Majesty has given me."

"If you wish it, I would give you anything."

"How wonderful. So, Grand Duchess..."


I called out to Isabelle, who was glaring at us in frustration.

At my call, she straightened and glared at me.

With a look of sincere apology, I told her,

"As you can see, I have no such ambitions beyond this. Please don't misunderstand me."


Did you see that?

I'm not the one clinging—the King is clinging to me.

I have no interest in being queen, but he won't leave me alone—what can I do?

"As you know, given my position, there's nothing I can do about it."


If you're so capable, try diverting the King's attention. I'm not interested.

"Th—"


The Grand Duchess, catching my hidden meaning, tried to speak, but Leonid cut her off.

"No, Jamila. There is no one else for me."

"Your, Your Majesty..."

"And Grand Duchess, I've heard quite enough of your rude remarks. I hope you'll stop your delusions here. I am utterly sick of bloodlines."


Having done my part, Leonid spoke coldly with a sharp edge.

"Don't you agree, Grand Duke?"


He turned from the Grand Duchess to Godwin, seeking his agreement.

"...What do you mean?"

"Grand Duke, your memory must be fading with age. I still remember the words you said when you first saw me as clearly as if it were yesterday."

"..."

"You said that a half-breed who sullied the royal bloodline with lowly commoner blood was worse than useless. And it was you who sent that very half-breed to war for the sake of the royal family—and now you speak of marriage to your daughter for the royal bloodline? Ha."

"......"

"Disgusting."


Leonid shot Godwin a contemptuous glare.

But Godwin was a seasoned villain.

He feigned ignorance as if he truly didn't remember.

"I don't recall. Did I really say such things?"

"I'll make sure you remember someday. I'm working so hard at being king because I have so much to repay you, piece by piece."

"......"

"And have you considered that I could use my royal authority to marry your daughters off to distant lands? If you don't want a forced marriage, I suggest you behave. Do you still think you rule this country?"


At Leonid's words, Godwin fell silent.

Instead, it was Isabelle who spoke.

"You will regret this, Your Majesty."

"Regret? It will be you who regrets it, Grand Duchess. The one who decides marriage is me, the King, not you. I suggest you stop your delusions and know your place."

"!"


Leonid's cold, decisive words left Isabelle with no choice but to fall silent.

As the father and daughter stood like statues, Leonid turned his back on them.

Then he took my hand.

"We're leaving. Jamila, this way."

"Yes, Your Majesty."


I glanced briefly at Cael, who had been watching our situation from a distance, then quickly left the room.


Leonid and I walked down the corridor and entered a drawing room under the knights' escort.

As soon as the door closed, we both slumped our shoulders and collapsed onto the sofas.

"Ha... exhausting, truly."

"Wow... what a father-daughter duo."


As the tension released, my whole body ached as if screaming.

This was the first time I'd been so tense. I lifted the hand that had been gripping the sofa and saw it trembling.

"You must never go anywhere alone. Never."


Leonid straightened his slumped body, raised his index finger, and declared firmly.

I nodded.

Yes—I had no idea what might happen next.

The thought of being kidnapped or murdered at any time made me nod several times.

"By the way, that Grand Duchess."

"Hmm?"


After nodding for a while, I cautiously asked what I was most curious about.

"Does she really not know what her father did? Or did she speak like that knowingly?"

"Of course not. If she's from that family, she must know. But it's more advantageous for her to pretend she doesn't..."

"Ah, as expected."


I nodded, having expected as much, and let out a deep sigh.

That Grand Duchess was definitely not the type to give up the queen's position.

She would either try to kill me or use some other method.

So I needed to show more openly that I was greedy for money.

That way, the Grand Duke might take the bait at least once.

"I think I need to attend a tea party soon."

"Good. Plan it out."

"Okay."


I began to think about which noble family's tea party I should attend.


Comments