Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch80


Episode 80


"......"


Cael's expression didn't look good. I had never seen him like this before. I wondered if I had done something wrong, but I remembered the atmosphere had been fine until I left for the palace. Perhaps it was because he had been in the same space as Godwin and his daughter yesterday.


I cautiously called out to Cael as he finished his meal.


"Um, Cael."


"...Yes, Rielle."


Fortunately, his expression softened at my call, as if it had never been tense. He looked at me with a gentle smile, and I secretly let out a sigh of relief before asking.


"Are you not going to the palace today?"


"I've decided to take a break until tomorrow."


"Ah, so you're resting for two days?"


"Yes. So, Rielle."


"...?"


He gave me a meaningful look and a deep smile. A man who rarely smiled was now flashing such a warm, radiant expression that it gave me an eerie feeling.


---


"I'll take this one."


"Yes."


As Cael pointed to one of the lavishly displayed jeweled accessories, the attendant beside him replied with a bright expression. I glanced around.


"This one, too."


"An excellent choice."


He had led me to a large drawing room, where countless jewels, dresses, and shoes were already laid out, as if waiting. Each attendant held finished products—not design books—and Cael was picking them out one by one.


"How about this?"


"It suits you well."


At Cael's question, the attendant looked at me and nodded.


I recalled that for nobles, dresses and shoes were not off-the-rack. They were custom-made from fabric selection to measurements. Yet everything before me was ready-made.


Surely not...


"Um, Cael?"


"Yes, Rielle?"


"What is all this...? And they're all finished products?"


I asked with a hesitant expression, hoping I was wrong, but his answer was exactly as I feared.


"These are the dresses I had prepared earlier. We're choosing the dress and accessories for today's banquet. Ah, this color matches my eyes. Add this one as well."


"Per...fect choice, Your Grace!"


Pardon?


"Today's banquet, you say?"


The finished dresses looked so expensive I couldn't even guess their cost, and I felt dizzy. Moreover, at the mention of going somewhere, I looked at Cael with a questioning gaze.


But his response was:


"That's how it is."


He flashed the same radiant smile as before, lighting up the room.


Once again, his smile left me speechless.


"Oh..."


"Have this made to match what I usually wear."


"Understood."


It was only after everyone had cleared out of the room that I finally spoke.


"Cael, isn't this... too much? And... it's too..."


Even at a glance, it was overwhelming. Jeweled accessories and dresses of a caliber beyond estimation.


But Cael shook his head and said,


"This much is nothing."


"Where are we going?"


"This time, we'll attend the banquet as well."


"...Pardon?"


"I want to dance with you too."


At his frank confession, my jaw dropped.


He was clearly talking about yesterday's palace banquet. The thought that he might have been envious of my dance with Leonid made me smile inexplicably.


I wondered if he was jealous. So I teasingly started to ask.


"Are you, by any chance, jeal—"


"We need to advertise that we're lovers, so we should go where everyone can see us. We've only shown ourselves outside, so attending a banquet like this is also a good opportunity to announce our relationship to many nobles."


"Ah, right... that makes sense."


I nodded, my face slightly flushed. I had almost made a mistake.


Yes, jealousy—what jealousy.


"We'll be attending some well-known noble family's banquets for a while. However, do not accept any tea party invitations."


"Yes."


"Now, go change into the prepared dress."


"Ah, yes?"


"I'll also get ready. See you."


As I watched Cael's retreating figure, I followed the maids who had come to attend me.


Walking behind them, I rubbed my cheek with my palm.


I recalled all the actions I had thought were signs of interest between Cael and me. I had believed there was mutual attraction, but for Cael, it had all been for show.


Though it seemed he did have some feelings, realizing it wasn't so made me feel a pang of regret.


"Please come in here."


"Yes."


At the maid's guidance, I stopped my thoughts and moved forward.


Yes—I was only sharp on theory, having never had a boyfriend. I might not be good at reading romantic signals. So I shouldn't confuse business with personal feelings.


After a long bath, I stepped out to find myself transformed—a different woman in a dress, jewels, styled hair, and makeup.


This was the first time I'd worn such a splendid ball gown, and I couldn't take my eyes off the dress that felt so perfectly made for me.


Finished with a violet amethyst necklace symbolizing Cael, I went to the designated place where he was waiting.


He was wearing a suit designed to match my dress—even someone oblivious would recognize us as a couple. He had even tied his hair with my embroidered ribbon and a gold one echoing my eye color.


He looked twice as dashing as he had at the palace banquet yesterday, and my heart raced. But I firmly reminded myself: This is work.


---


We boarded the carriage with Cael and headed somewhere. The building we arrived at was quite lavish, though I didn't know exactly where we were.


As soon as we arrived, Cael never left my side until we returned. He fended off approaching noblemen with a single glance, and the young ladies couldn't even come near us, as if an invisible barrier surrounded us.


Thanks to that, though I could hear whispers, I was spared excessive eye contact, making it less burdensome.


Soon, the music began, and Cael, as if waiting, offered me his hand for a dance. I felt everyone's gaze focused on us, just like yesterday. But this was the goal, so I took his hand and moved to the center of the hall, dancing slowly.


Like Leonid, Cael's lead was comfortable—easy to follow. As we danced to his rhythm, gasps of admiration came from the crowd.


Only after dancing three times in a row did he seem satisfied, finally leading me out. We rested for a while with drinks, and when he seemed ready, we left the mansion.


Having danced and endured the tension of yesterday and today, I was exhausted. I slumped against the carriage seat, limp.


I didn't care if Cael criticized me. I was really tired!


This was for my retirement, but I felt like I might collapse. I asserted firmly.


"Tomorrow, I'm resting!"


"Then you can rest with me."


At his reply, I frowned in protest.


"That's not resting, is it?"


"How do you spend your days off, Rielle?"


Ignoring my words, he asked. I shook my head. Better to just let it go.


"When I'm this tired, I just merge with my bed."


"...Merge?"


"Lying down, sleeping, lazing around."


"Ah, then I wouldn't get to see you."


Here we go.

Words that confuse people.


I straightened up and retorted.


"...It's not like one day apart will be a problem."


"Oh dear, I just got hurt by my lover."


Now he's even putting on a sad expression, unlike his usual self. There's no one around to see this—why does he keep leading me on?


Back   Next

Comments