Home/The Beloved Young Divine Child of the Twelve Zodiacs/ch 19


Chapter 19


Arin stared at Doyoung blankly. It was an unexpected reaction. Usually, when she offered kindness, people took advantage of it. But Doyoung had instead yelled at her not to be so wary—she didn't know what to do.


Trembling, she asked, "Then what should I do?"


"Do about what?"


"What should I do so you won't dislike me?"


Her question made Doyoung even more flustered. The direct hit pricked his conscience.


"Hey, when did I ever say I disliked you?"


If he thought about it, Arin had done nothing wrong. Even if she were his father's illegitimate child, that was his father's fault. He felt bad for having taken it out on a girl who had simply been born.


"Sorry. It's just that I was angry at Father. It's not that I don't like you—I just didn't know how to act around you!"


When Doyoung said he did not dislike her, Arin felt a wave of relief. Her tense shoulders relaxed, and she asked innocently,


"But why do you dislike him?"


"Him? Why don't you call him 'Father'?"


"Huh?"


"Huh?"


Their heads tilted at each other. Finally, Doyoung blinked and said,


"Aren't you... the child Father brought from outside?"


"No. I'm just someone he picked up."


Arin said it so casually that Doyoung's eyes bulged.


"Ehh?"


"He's my lifesaver. As for being a daughter—I never wanted anything like that."


Arin shook her head, and Doyoung's mouth fell open.


Meanwhile, Choryeong, who had been waiting for their misunderstanding to clear, could not hold back her laughter.


"Hahaha! I knew it!"


She set down the green tea and put her hands on her hips.


"Oh, young master. You shouldn't believe everything the servants say."


"But she's a twelfth-year..."


"The power of the Twelve doesn't only manifest in direct lines. Do you still not know the master that well?"


Choryeong's scolding made Doyoung squirm with embarrassment. He had been so blinded by the persimmon that he had believed the servants' words without question.


"Oh, how embarrassing."


As Doyoung ruffled his hair in frustration, Choryeong laughed even harder. Arin watched them both blankly and asked,


"So you don't dislike me?"


"Are you teasing me?"


"..."


"Oh, young master. You shouldn't speak so roughly to a girl. What if Miss Arin cries?"


At Choryeong's reproach, Doyoung scowled but then extended his hand to Arin.


"I don't dislike you."


"..."


"So from now on, just call me Brother Doyoung. 'Young master' from such a little thing sounds weird."


He looked away, embarrassed. Arin watched him quietly, then broke into a shy smile.


"Okay. Brother Doyoung."


---


Geum Dogyeong recalled the words Yeoryeong had spoken a few days earlier.


"Arin is the child who will become the next Divine Maiden after me. I want you to protect her."


It was a far more significant reason than he had ever imagined when he first decided to bring her. "So that's why you secured that document from Hong Ijin—so he could never claim to be her parent later."


"Yes. I saw all the evidence of abuse, and I couldn't leave any loose ends, could I?"


"...I'm going to take a lot of flak from Hong Ijin for this."


"I do keep making you the scapegoat."


"That's what it means to be head of the Geumho House. Now that it's come to this, I need to officially adopt Arin as soon as possible."


By now, the elders must have heard about her. I know exactly what those old men are thinking. They would assume he had brought her as a match for Dohun. They would be burning with curiosity about which house she came from.


"I'm just Arin."


The child had decided to abandon the Red Serpent surname. For her sake, Dogyeong intended to keep the secret. First, he summoned his eldest son Dohun, who was away training, and then convened the council of elders.


The head of the seven elders, Geum Heetaek, opened with a flattering remark.


"Congratulations on your safe return, Master. I trust you enjoyed your outing after so long?"


"I didn't go for pleasure."


At Dogyeong's indifferent reply, Heetaek's narrow eyes grew even thinner.


So he's going to brush it off like this?


Word had already spread that Geum Dogyeong had brought back a little girl. Though she was young, if the Divine Maiden herself vouched for her, she could be a threat. Heetaek had already set his sights on his own granddaughter as Dohun's match, so he had to investigate.


"I heard there is a guest staying in Maehwadang..."


The direct mention of Maehwadang made Dogyeong laugh heartily. So transparent. He shifted his posture and said,


"Don't beat around the bush. You're just curious who our Arin is, aren't you?"


The phrase "our Arin" made the elders hold their breath—the intimacy seemed greater than expected. Dogyeong went further.


"If you saw her, you'd understand why I brought her."


It was clear he was deeply fond of the child. Flustered, Heetaek cleared his throat and continued,


"Since you put it that way, I'll ask directly: why did you bring that child?"


"To raise her."


"By 'raise,' you don't mean to make her Young Master Dohun's match, do you?"


Heetaek pressed more directly, and Dogyeong's expression turned cold.


"Why? Do I need your permission for that too?"


He straightened his posture, and an immense pressure descended upon Heetaek. Among all the past heads of the Geumho House, he was the one who wielded the power of the Twelve most effectively. The sheer gap in ability was unfathomable, and cold sweat trickled down Heetaek's forehead. Yet he did not back down.


"I am merely curious whether she is a suitable match for Young Master Dohun."


Seeing Heetaek stubbornly insist on hearing his answer, Dogyeong withdrew his killing intent with a bored look.


"Wouldn't a daughter be closer and better than a match?"


"A daughter, not a daughter-in-law? Good heavens!"


One of the elders who had been listening quietly blurted out reflexively, then shut his mouth. Some seemed relieved at the news, but Heetaek grew more troubled.


Could that rumor be true?


Heetaek asked coldly, "Surely she is not your child, Master?"


"Have you lost your mind? My dead Jinkyeong would rise from her grave and slit my throat if I even thought of it."


Dogyeong shuddered and rubbed his neck, as if unwilling to even imagine it. His clear refusal deflated Heetaek's stance. If she was not meant to be a daughter-in-law, there was no need to confront Dogyeong.


Regaining his usual composure, Heetaek smiled thinly.


"Then is she a collateral daughter? If you would tell me which house she comes from, I'll verify her background."


Pretending to back off while probing into Arin's origins, Heetaek was met with a sharp line from Dogyeong.


"I've already confirmed everything. So do not try to dig into her identity. If anyone is found attempting to expose who she is..."


Dogyeong paused, swept his gaze over the elders, and drew his thumb across his throat.


"You'll all be dead by my hand."


The rough warning turned the elders' faces ashen in no time.


Comments