Home/The Beloved Young Divine Child of the Twelve Zodiacs/ch 36
Chapter 36
She was a more enigmatic child than expected. Baek Muje, who should have been at the White Dragon Palace, was nestled in Arin's arms like a pet lizard.
"So I'm going to be good to the little one from now on. I'll let her do whatever she wants!"
"Right, right. Take good care of her. I have business with Father, so let go now."
"Got it. See you at dinner!"
After Doyoung left, Dohun headed to his father's study. As he arrived, Geum Heetaek was just stepping out.
"Oh, you're back? I trust your trip went well?"
"Yes, thanks to you. But what brings the head elder here so early in the morning?"
"The master enjoys tormenting this old man, that's all."
Heetaek smiled amiably. In truth, he had just had a heated exchange with Dogyeong regarding Arin—having learned her origins from Hong Hyeokjae.
"Hong Ijin's daughter? Have you decided to make an enemy of the Red Serpent House?"
"We're already enemies. What's new? More importantly, you're quite resourceful. How did you find out? I warned you not to be curious."
"Yes, I didn't want to know either. But what could I do when a Red Serpent person told me directly?"
"Told you directly?"
"One of their elders is staying in Geumho Village. I heard he sent several letters to you, Master."
"I know nothing about that."
"You probably saw the surname 'Hong' and threw them away without reading."
"You know me well. So who else knows besides you?"
"What would you do if I told you?"
"I'd ask them."
"...I figured as much, so I've already driven him out of the village! So please stay still and keep that in mind!"
After barely extinguishing what could have become a blazing fire, he had finally made his exit.
"Then I'll take my leave."
Worn out, Heetaek took his leave and disappeared quickly. As Dohun entered, Dogyeong, sensing him by his presence alone, spoke.
"You're here at last?"
Dogyeong's expression was no better than Heetaek's. Pretending not to notice, Dohun sat down.
"Yes. I'm a little late."
"Any injuries?"
"As you can see."
At his curt reply, Dogyeong looked at him with worried eyes.
"Don't you think it's time to stop?"
"That's not the only reason I went on this journey."
"...I know. But you've been away from home too long."
Dogyeong felt sorry for his son, who kept wandering outside.
"It's not your fault."
"..."
"Wandering too long isn't good either. You have two younger siblings now, don't you?"
At that moment, Dohun's expression turned cold.
"My only sibling is Doyoung. I heard that child is a daughter of the Red Serpent House."
"You heard that too?"
It seemed that someone named Hong Hyeokjae had been spreading Arin's story everywhere. Dogyeong hadn't expected the news to reach Dohun, and he found himself in a difficult position. Dohun believed his mother had died because of the Red Serpent House. Dogyeong had long since given up trying to break his son's stubborn determination to endure his grief that way.
Dogyeong rubbed his weary face.
"Once you meet Arin, your opinion will change."
"I doubt it. I don't have a weak heart for children like you do. I don't know how you managed to raise Doyoung, but don't force this on me."
Dohun drew a cold line, and Dogyeong sighed. He had expected this when Dohun ignored the banquet date. Knowing his son needed time, Dogyeong urged him again,
"At least don't judge her by her origins and hate an innocent child."
"I have enough sense for that."
"Your face says otherwise!"
It pained Dogyeong to see his son, who hadn't smiled since Jinkyeong's death. Finally, he played a strong card.
"An assassin infiltrated the welcome banquet. The Black Demon clan seems to be moving again, so refrain from traveling for a while."
Contrary to his expectation of resistance, Dohun's expression grew serious.
"...Actually, I have something to discuss with you about that."
"What?"
"I encountered Black Demon clan members during my travels."
"...What?!"
Dogyeong sprang up and grabbed Dohun's shoulders.
"Are you truly unharmed?"
He was about to call Eunbaek, but Dohun stopped him.
"I'm fine. You know who I was traveling with, Father. You worry too much."
"A father worrying about his son is only natural!"
No matter how much he trusted the White Dragon Prime Minister, he couldn't be at ease about his son. As Dogyeong tried again to summon Eunbaek, Dohun lowered his voice.
"It seems they're plotting something—it may be connected to the disappearances of street children."
"Street children disappearing? You don't mean they're performing human sacrifices, do you?"
"It's not certain yet. I need to find out if they're abducting children for that purpose, or if they're looking for someone specific."
That meant he intended to keep investigating. Dogyeong's eyes widened and he flatly refused.
"Stay out of that matter. Are you following the White Dragon House's example, obsessing over the Black Demon?"
"Father."
"Don't even think about leaving the estate for a while. I'll be watching you."
This time, Dogyeong was firm, unwilling to back down. Knowing his father would be sensitive, Dohun stepped back.
"Fine. I'll follow your wishes, so don't be angry."
"...I'm not angry."
"Of course not."
Dohun smiled faintly, and Dogyeong sighed. It was never easy to be harsh with Dohun, who resembled Jinkyeong.
"Now that the family is all together, we should have a meal. How about dining out for a change?"
"Before I meet that child, I have something I want to ask."
For the first time, Dohun showed interest in Arin, and Dogyeong perked up.
"Ask anything."
But as Dohun continued, Dogyeong's expression soured.
"I saw that child with the young master of the White Dragon House."
"So you've already met. Yes, I figured your eyes wouldn't be fooled."
Doyoung, who had no interest in others, hadn't realized the lizard he saw with Arin was the White Dragon heir. But Dohun frequented the White Dragon House and would have recognized him.
"It's a request from the Divine Maiden. He'll return soon, so pretend you don't know."
Of course, he was uneasy about the boy staying by Arin's side, but he didn't show it.
"I see."
Hearing it involved the Divine Maiden, Dohun asked no further—or rather, he wasn't curious enough about Arin to dig deeper.
"Then I'll go. I'll see you at dinner."
---
The next morning, Doyoung came to see Arin.
"Little one, my brother is finally here!"
Only then did Arin realize that the boy she had met last night was indeed Dohun.
"Really?"
"Yeah! So we're all having dinner together tonight—keep yourself free!"
At the word "family," Arin's expression brightened.
"Okay!"
She still couldn't quite believe she was a daughter of the Geumho House. But just the word made her happy. As Arin beamed, Muje—feeling neglected—licked her finger. Doyoung finally noticed him and tilted his head.
"Huh? What's that?"
"He's been with me all along..."
"I'm usually not interested unless it's food."
Doyoung replied matter-of-factly, and Arin nodded in agreement.
"Uh-huh. I'm taking care of him for a while. His name is Seol, and I think she's a girl. Isn't she pretty?"
At the word "girl," Muje's tail shot up. Noticing, Doyoung said,
"Huh? A girl? He's a boy."
Comments
Post a Comment