Home/The Only Sunshine in a Toxic Novel/ch34


Episode 34. The Basics of a Proposal


After hesitating, Lapin reluctantly lowered his sword.


"…Saying it like that is unfair, Lucy."


As expected, it worked. Triton and the other merfolk also relaxed, as if they could finally breathe.


"Triton. I don't know exactly what 'mating' means here, but in the human world, 'mating' means sexual intercourse."


Out of friendship, I decided to explain at least once.


"I meant it in that sense too."


"Wow."


A genuinely pure admiration escaped me. This guy is in trouble. In the wrong way.


"I don't see what the problem is, Lucy. Everyone here talks like that."


His tone implied that a single word wasn't worth pointing swords at each other. Before Lapin behind me could flare up, I let out a deep sigh.


"Triton, you really haven't changed."


Sensing my meaning wasn't positive, Triton frowned.


"The basics of a business proposal are understanding 'the other party's position.' We researched the Obum tribe all night to trade with you, but you still don't understand humans. Like you ten years ago."


"That's only when your status is equal to Lord Triton's. Lord Triton is the chief of the Obum tribe."


Was his name Lophon?


He answered in Triton's place.


"You're just ordinary guild members. Do you think you're receiving this kind of escort thanks to yourselves?"


"Lophon. Enough."


Triton looked around the ruined interior and stopped Lophon. Reluctantly, Lophon lowered his spear and bowed his head slightly.


"Lucy is my friend, and we're equals. Everything she said is right."


He quickly admitted his fault.


My anger subsided just as quickly. I understood it was a difference in perspective between humans and the Obum tribe, not something Triton had intentionally brought up.


Come to think of it, I think we argued over this kind of difference in thinking ten years ago too.


"It doesn't seem like the right atmosphere to talk today, Lucy. I'd like to continue tomorrow, is that okay?"


"Sure."


"Lucy!"


"Lord Triton!"


Just as we were about to make peace, Lapin beside me and Lophon were horrified.


"Lapin, we came all this way. Let's stay at least one day."


Huh?


"…Damn it."


"Laaa-pin."


"Hah. Just one day."


Lapin said with a sigh. Triton, who had similarly persuaded Lophon, smiled and waited for me.


"Then I'll show you to your rooms."


---


The room was pleasant and spacious, with marble flooring.


Matching the Obum tribe's signature color, the blue furnishings sparkled with a pearlescent sheen, their outlines as sharp as new. Triton, who had guided us here, gave a light warning not to leave the palace unless necessary.


He didn't say why, but I knew it was because the merfolk disliked and resented us. The merfolk working in this palace would probably enjoy their evening meal with gossip about us as their appetizer.


"I don't want to trade with the Obum tribe. That bastard insulted you."


Lapin, who had come to my room instead of his own, said.


"We can't help it. Damian said not to come back until we secure the deal."


"Even better."


Lapin said sincerely.


"That damned bastard always torments you too. I never liked him from the start. How about the two of us just live happily together?"


Lapin was ready to buy a house and set up a life for us the moment I agreed.


In fact, Lapin had a lot of money. Not only had Damian generously raised Lapin's pay as the Bendon Knights prospered, but the items and monster hides Lapin brought back from each expedition fetched a high price.


"Lucy, just give me an answer."


He waited earnestly for my agreement.


"It wouldn't be our first time living together, would it?"


Certainly, we'd lived together four years ago, but…


'Back then, you were a minor!'


Now he was a full-fledged adult.


Even if traces of youthful cuteness remained on his face, this wasn't right. Avoiding his gaze as if fleeing, I spotted something moving outside the window.


"Huh?"


Outside was the group of familiars, the turtles, that had saved me earlier. Lapin also stood up and came to my side, looking at the turtles.


"I thought you went back to the sea, but you were here all along!"


I'd been a little sad when the turtles were gone when I woke up, so seeing them again made me happy.


"Lucy, dangerous…!"


Opening the window, I checked that no one was around and climbed over the frame.


I thought they were cute even when I was shivering from the cold, but seeing the turtles in their right mind, they were simply angels.


Their eyes, curving like crescent moons whenever they blinked, looked like cute characters.


"Thank you so much for earlier, little turtles."


As soon as I stroked them, the turtles made laughing sounds and wriggled happily. This is what healing feels like.


"Do you like hugs too? Should I hug each one of you?"


"Lucy…."


Lapin, who had been anxiously waiting for my answer, called me in a hollow voice.


Ahem, right. There was that question about living together, wasn't there?


Holding a turtle, I was about to gently turn down Lapin's proposal.


No matter how I thought about it, Lapin was too handsome, too good-looking, too beautiful, and an adult. If we lived together, something would happen.


For example….


No, let's not think about it.


"Huh?"


But the turtle in my arms wriggled.


"What's wrong? Does it hurt?"


The group of turtles, smiling just moments ago, nudged my feet as if they had something to tell me.


"It says the sea is angry. A big wave is coming."


Lapin, leaning against the window, said in a calm tone.


"You can understand familiars?"


"By feeling. More importantly, Lucy."


Lapin narrowed his brows.


"We need to get out of here quickly."


He lightly jumped over the window frame and crouched in front of me.


"It's dangerous."


"Like that wave from earlier?"


I recalled the wave that had swallowed me. The one that had pierced even the sturdy barrier and invaded the cave interior.


The current was strong, but the most dangerous part was the water's temperature, cold enough to freeze to the bone.


I remembered the merfolk clinging to the cave walls to avoid contact with the seawater. Even the Obum tribe, who freely swam the seas, would fear the polluted waters.


"I think the wave will be bigger than before."


Crazy. Did someone curse me? The journey to the southern coast hadn't been smooth, and now an even bigger wave?


"Lucy, hold on tight to me. I can get us out secretly with aerial magic."


After checking the exit and the boundaries leading to it, Lapin spread his arms toward me.


"Hurry."


His face looked more expectant than urgent.


"We're sneaking out?"


"These people here are merfolk. They'll manage on their own."


Overly optimistic. Even if that weren't the case, Lapin had no intention of saving the Obum tribe.


"It's a big wave. I don't know about the merfolk, but I can't leave the turtles behind."


"They're not ordinary turtles. They'll find a way to avoid it on their own."


He said in an indifferent tone.


"It's different when they're on dry land. If a wave suddenly hits, they can't do anything. And you know turtles are very slow on land, right? It took them half a day just to get here."


"Then let's just move the turtles to the sea."


"Do you know the average weight of a turtle? It's exactly 1700 pounds!"


Who knew the information I'd read in a marine life book would come in handy. But I knew — regardless of the turtle's weight, Lapin had more than enough strength to move them all.


Honestly, I hoped he would save Triton and the Obum tribe.


The answer was set. Just answer, Lapin.


"…You seem to want to save everyone you see in danger, Lucy."


Having caught my intention, Lapin spoke.


"Without realizing it's poison to you."


Lapin lowered his arms.


"Even four years ago, you were the same."


He was talking about when I saved him from the Tulda knights.


"How is that poison?"


"…."


He avoided my gaze.


"Lapin."


"I keep clinging to your side, Lucy."


Lapin held his breath.


Comments