Home/The Only Sunshine in a Toxic Novel/ch36
Episode 36. I Really Like You
The cave entrance was as vast and magnificent as a whale's mouth.
In front of it, Lophon and the other guards were on standby, wary of the incoming waves.
"Do I just need to block this entrance?"
Lapin surveyed the entrance and asked Triton.
"How long will it take to finish?"
"I'll have to try."
Lapin reached out his hand.
"It seems like it'll be quick, though."
A pure white light emerged from his long fingertips. The softly spreading power soon gushed out like a burst dam.
In an instant, the light enveloped the Obum tribe's dwelling. In the space formed by his mana, a warm breeze gently blew. The hair that had been blown sideways by the wind slowly settled downward.
"Unbelievable…"
"Such power exists."
The merfolk stared at the light, mouths agape.
"Lucy, this… are you sure he's not a mage?"
Triton's eyes also widened at the power, stronger than he'd expected.
Even I was quite surprised. It was rare for Lapin, now skilled at mana control, to release his power all at once like this.
The last time I'd seen it was four years ago. Even then, his overwhelming mana had left me speechless, but now Lapin had surpassed all limits.
The quality of a great mage?
That was an understatement. Even if all four Tower Masters teamed up, they probably couldn't defeat Lapin.
'This is simply the strongest in this world!'
As if the power he'd used before meant nothing, Lapin skillfully controlled the light.
And that wasn't all. When Lapin unleashed his red aura, it merged with the mana, and the colors mixed. The pure white light began to tinge with a soft red.
Wow…
'It looks like sunset.'
Even the merfolk gazed up at the enchanting sky.
A faint rim of light formed around the cave entrance. A magic circle was created at the center of the translucent barrier, which had just been completed.
Complex and difficult formulas and figures were drawn all at once, powered by the mana.
At the same time, the light that had enveloped the entire space quickly gathered toward the cave entrance, as if rewinding.
"…."
The completed barrier gradually became opaque. Unless physical force was applied, it probably wouldn't reveal its form.
And it was done.
Ten minutes? No, I wonder if it even took five minutes.
Lapin looked up at the barrier he'd created and turned his back.
"For three years, even the waves won't be able to break through."
The merfolk's gazes toward Lapin had completely changed. Everyone looked as if they'd witnessed a divine messenger.
"This is the first and last time I'll offer my help."
Lapin made sure to calculate clearly in the midst of it all.
"I'll keep that in mind."
Stammering slightly, Triton was still dazed by the quick resolution.
I understood how he felt. All the anxiety and careful planning for a solution had been solved by Lapin in just five minutes.
Having done the impossible, Lapin's face lit up the moment our eyes met.
As expected, Lapin was… amazingly incredible.
"Lucy."
He approached me. Because he came with both arms spread as if asking for a hug, I opened my arms.
"I didn't overdo it."
I could tell just by looking.
Even after using so much mana, Lapin hadn't broken a sweat.
"I did well, right?"
He spoke like a puppy asking for praise.
Yes, you did. My good boy.
As I looked up at him, his hair was a mess from the wind. When I raised my hand and tidied it for him, he smiled faintly, liking my touch.
"Thanks to you, I won't get scolded by Damian."
"Your hands feel so good."
Lapin closed his eyes and savored my touch.
"Everyone was amazed by your mana. Like Triton said, you really did become the Obum tribe's salvation."
"…So do you see me differently now too, Lucy?"
"No. You're still you."
No matter how much power he had, that was all it was. He was still handsome, still twenty-two, still the vice-commander of the Bendon Knights.
Lapin took my arm that was above his head and moved it to his cheek.
"That's why I like you too."
He smiled beautifully.
"I really, really like you."
---
After the barrier was created, just as the turtles had said, a massive wave came.
"We've blocked the entrance, but it's not over yet. Station guards on each level, and have mages inspect every part of the cave entrance."
Triton deployed many knights and mages in case of emergency.
Despite his worries, the wave raged as if to shake the earth, but couldn't break through Lapin's barrier and quietly receded.
"Truly incredible!"
"You've saved the Obum tribe!"
After that, Lapin became a hero to the Obum tribe.
Even the elders, who had witnessed everything with their own eyes, no longer spoke ill of Lapin. They treated us to a grand dinner and then chattered endlessly about Lapin's mana.
But Lapin, now their savior, reacted to all of it with indifference.
Eventually, unable to bear the lengthy talk, he took me and practically fled from the spot.
"I'm tired."
Sitting on the bed, Lapin looked at me. He reached out his arm, telling me to come closer.
"Those people talk too much."
He pulled my waist close. Somehow, since coming here, Lapin's touches had become bolder than before.
It wasn't bad, but… I was afraid he might do this with others too.
"Lucy, making that barrier was nothing to me."
Lapin said quietly.
"And yet they keep thanking me."
"So you don't like it?"
"I don't dislike it, exactly. It's just tiresome."
He lifted his face and looked up at me.
"But Lucy."
"Yeah."
"Thanks to this, the deal is done, but have you thought about leaving the Bendon Guild and living with me?"
Ah, right. That topic was still pending.
"No. You're an adult, and I'm an adult too."
"If two grown adults live together, what's the problem?"
He asked as if he didn't know. This fox.
He knew perfectly well and was asking anyway.
"You know everything, Lucy. So tell me."
"If you tease me, you'll get it. Got it?"
I lightly tapped his forehead with my fist. Even that small touch made him smile.
"I want to keep pushing, but I'll stop since it burdens you. Still, I hope you'll stop feeling burdened by me soon."
He rubbed his face against my stomach. Really a fox…
I endured the ticklish sensation rising from my body. Pretending to be fine, I watched him and noticed his slowly drooping eyelids.
He had released a massive amount of mana and aura at once. Now the fatigue was finally hitting him, and Lapin's shoulders slumped.
I pushed his shoulders back, laying him down on the bed.
"Time to sleep."
"…I want to talk more."
"You haven't slept properly lately. You need to rest well today."
Ever since encountering the Tulda knights, Lapin had frequently struggled with sleep. Meanwhile, I'd slept far too well.
"We can continue talking later."
"Continue. I really like that word…"
What good is having so much mana? If I'm not by his side, he's so anxious he can't even sleep properly.
It seemed I'd have to postpone my plans — saving money, buying a cabin, meeting someone, and getting married — for a little while longer.
As I sat on the bed, a relieved Lapin closed his eyes.
Soon, I heard his quiet, steady breathing.
'At times like this, he's like a baby…'
A smile naturally appeared. Carefully moving my hand so as not to wake him, I cupped his cheek. A faint smile bloomed on his face, as if the cool warmth felt pleasant.
How can a person be this beautiful?
Damian came to mind at the Bendon Guild, but… let's not think about him.
Knock, knock.
Just as I was enjoying Lapin's face to my heart's content, a knock sounded. Carefully lifting myself so as not to wake Lapin, I headed for the door.
"Who is it?"
"It's me, Lucy."
"Triton?"
As I pulled the door handle, a broad chest adorned with dangling necklaces filled my view. A washboard… no, I was a little surprised by his abs, but I pretended not to notice and looked up.
"Hello, Lucy."
Meeting my eyes, he greeted me.
"I'd like to talk for a bit, is that okay? While walking outside."
Comments
Post a Comment