Home/The Only Sunshine in a Toxic Novel/ch43


Episode 43. A Contemptible Woman


The Ohan Marquisate.


"Father."


Luigi's face was gaunt.


Now an adult, his brown hair had lightened, and his cheeks had hollowed, making his face look longer.


"A carrier pigeon has arrived from the Tulda family head."


Luigi looked at his father. His hair now thick with white, he sat in the laboratory with bloodshot eyes, examining the potions.


"He says the Tulda family will be visiting soon."


When this experiment first began, Luigi thought it would end quickly. It cost too much money, and the pain Luca had to endure was immense.


But now, his young uncle Rainer, the current East Tower Master, had a daughter. The problem was that this daughter possessed an enormous amount of innate mana.


The future was obvious. The family head position would soon pass not to his father's line, but to Rainer's line.


To avoid the pressure of relatives trying to pull him down at any moment, the Marquis allied with the Tulda family and immersed himself in research. And he created large quantities of potions using Luca's healing-type mana.


That was until six months ago, when they discovered that healing-type mana didn't play a major role in potion-making.


Since then, Luca's role changed from experimental material to test subject — on the pretext that even if the potions went wrong, Luca, born with healing-type mana, would recover quickly.


"Just leave it there."


A cold voice pierced Luigi's chest.


He had become Ohan's heir, just as he'd wanted, but the situation only worsened. Like an old man remembering glorious days, Luigi often recalled memories from before he became heir.


「Luigi. If only Lucy had even half of your mana.」


There was an incompetent woman named Lucy.


Father always compared him to that woman and praised him. Every time, Luigi would swell with pride.


When Father kicked her out, Luigi felt like he'd gained the world. Finally, that troublesome woman was gone!


The only regret was Lucy's dignified demeanor and actions even as she was being cast out. Far from crying, she waved her hands happily.


Her head must be completely empty.


Four years ago, Luigi thought Lucy's future was pitch-black, while his own was bright as light.


"At this rate…."


Luigi parted his dry lips.


"At this rate, Luca is going to die, Father."


Seeing his dying brother, tears fell from Luigi's eyes.


He was exhausted now. Ever since becoming heir, he'd been overworked.


At first, he endured by thinking of Lucy, who had been heir since childhood, telling himself he could do it too. But not anymore.


He had crumbled when Luca fell ill.


"If you're going to whine, get out, Luigi!"


The Marquis, noticing Luigi's tears, frowned.


"Damn it! Lucy endured this for over ten years! Yes, Lucy did!"


Eventually, the name that hadn't been spoken in four years came from the Marquis's mouth.


"Yes, Lucy…."


Half out of his mind, the Marquis suddenly inhaled sharply, as if something had occurred to him.


"Father?"


"Lucy. Yes, perhaps I need pure blood. The blood of an incompetent one."


The Marquis muttered quietly.


"Lucy… bring Lucy. My daughter… find Lucy!"


---


The day of the meeting arrived.


Damian took a sedative and a relaxant made by Annie.


The usually lively guild atmosphere grew heavy. The knights gathered in the training ground to train or maintain their weapons, and the blacksmiths rested. In four years of working with the guild, there had never been such a quiet day.


'They're here.'


Waiting at the entrance to the main building to greet Tulda, I caught the sound of voices in the distance.


'Is that their carriage?'


A glittering carriage with silver circular designs. Though I couldn't see clearly, its shape was uneven, as if adorned with lavish carvings and decorations.


Quite surprising.


In my memory, the Tulda family had a rough and rugged image.


'They couldn't have changed their taste.'


The carriage stopped, and a voluminous skirt dropped from inside.


"Oh, my."


The person who stepped out was a woman.


She appeared to be in her early fifties at most, wearing a large wig. She kept touching it, as if she wasn't used to it.


This woman wasn't from Tulda.


"Ah, you came out to greet me. I thought you'd ignored my letters, since there was no reply."


The woman who stepped out of the carriage awkwardly opened her fan and chuckled.


"Forgive the impertinent question, but madam — did you come from the Tulda family?"


"The Tulda family? Do I look that noble, like the lady of that house?"


…Should I be honest?


"I'm sorry, but I'm from Carding. I'm the one who gave birth to this place's director."


If she's Mrs. Carding, then she's Director Damian's mother!


"And who might you be? I heard there aren't many female members at the Bendon Guild… Ah, unless."


The lady looked at me with keen interest.


"His lover?"


"No!"


What a dreadful thought!


"I'm Lucy, the assistant. Madam."


"A member? Well, of course. Damian's lover wouldn't be at the guild."


The lady covered her mouth with her fan and surveyed the surroundings.


What to do.


It seems that receiving no reply from Damian, she simply came on her own.


"How is the guild these days? Making good money? Do many nobles come here?"


"…."


"Have there been any young ladies showing interest in Damian? Damian may not be a noble, but he's quite good-looking now, and he makes good money. Quite good."


The lady spoke at length, clearly proud of Damian.


"Mother!"


Just then, Damian, who had been observing the situation from the office, came down.


"Oh, my proud son! Damian!"


The lady also smiled broadly and ran to Damian, nearly losing her wig and having to grab it hastily.


"What on earth are you doing here?"


"I came because you didn't reply! It's such a large, lovely territory. Cleaner than I thought. So, did you read my letters? Is there a noble lady you're seeing?"


"There isn't, so please leave—"


"I knew it. You're good in every way, but it's your personality that's the problem. Many women were captivated by your face, only to turn away."


"Mother!"


"That's because you're so sensitive. You always look down on others. Surely you don't do that in front of noble ladies? Just don't speak. I can already imagine."


Her words about Damian's marriage problem were relentless. In that she unilaterally pointed out others' faults, she reminded me of Damian.


But that wasn't the problem right now.


The ground vibrated slightly. Someone was pulling a carriage toward the territory.


"Director."


This time, it was definitely the Tulda family.


At my call, Damian frowned.


"Damn it. Of all times."


"Shall I escort the lady to the lounge?"


In the meantime, Damian could greet Tulda.


"No. I need you here, Lucy."


Damian refused firmly.


Wow. The Tulda family really makes people change. Mrs. Carding, unable to believe her son's words, looked between me and Damian.


"Annie! Annie!"


Damian urgently called for Annie, who was in the treatment room on the first floor.


"Yes. Yes!"


Annie, who had been holding her breath like the other members, rushed out the door.


"You and I need to receive the guests, so take care of my mother."


"Huh?"


"Mother, please stay quietly in the lounge until the guests leave."


Damian pushed Mrs. Carding's back.


Annie, suddenly assigned to escort her, led the lady to the lounge. The lady, not expecting such treatment, looked at us in disbelief.


"Damn it. I didn't expect my mother to come."


Damian muttered, confirming that his mother had gone inside.


"I see the Tulda carriage."


The carriage ahead was enormous. Even the horses pulling it were imposing — large bodies and long, sturdy dark legs.


Five knights flanked the carriage, guarding it. Covered in armor from head to toe, they showed no gaps.


Tulda, present like a high, impregnable fortress, carried an air of weight. The pressure on my head and shoulders was considerable.


"I'm a little nervous. How about you?"


Damian said as he watched the carriage.


"I don't know about nervous."


I whispered.


"I feel disgusted."


"…."


"That such large, powerful people came running to kill one young boy."


Tulda truly overwhelmed the atmosphere with its solemn presence. Even a seasoned man would fear the Tulda family before them.


Yet these intimidating people had stolen everything from a boy and continued to threaten him — it seemed cowardly.


"It seems I should have taken the sedative, not you."


I agreed with Damian.


Comments