Home/The Only Sunshine in a Toxic Novel/ch46
Episode 46. A Fantastic Partner
"That doesn't make any sense."
"It's easy to find a partner, isn't it? There are female members in the guild."
"Mother!"
"If you refuse, I'll have no choice but to visit regularly and pressure you into marriage."
The lady glanced at me even as she spoke.
'There's Annie too…'
Why does she keep looking at me so anxiously?
"The female members are simply members. How could I take one as a partner to a party?"
"Who knows? Maybe Miss Lucy could be your partner."
At her blatant implication, Damian's face wrinkled.
"Hah."
He seemed to have reached the limit of his patience, but Damian didn't raise his voice or speak rudely as usual.
"Son. Just find a partner, and I won't bring up marriage again. You know I'm compromising a lot, don't you? The invitation is here, so be sure to come on time."
The lady placed the invitation on the table and rose from her seat.
Bang.
She practically fled out the door.
"Damn it."
At the suddenly empty space, Damian held his forehead. His expression looked more unpleasant and despairing than when he'd dealt with the Tulda family.
But was that really the issue right now?
What mattered was that Tulda had come and just left.
'There's no chance the Tulda bastard knew about Lapin and came.'
Judging by their behavior, it was unlikely they'd give up on the Bendon Guild cleanly.
They'd investigate the Bendon Knights, and under that pretext, they'd conduct a background check. It was only a matter of time before Lapin's name reached their ears.
Or perhaps it already had.
'I never intended to force Lapin, but…'
He would have to go to the Magic Tower without even a chance to choose.
---
'Lucy… that name sounds familiar…'
Gover, heading back to the Tulda estate, mulled over the name.
'That woman isn't the important thing right now.'
A few days ago, a prophecy had shaken the world.
[The empire will be shrouded in darkness.]
That darkness could be war, monster invasion, factional strife, civil war, or rebellion. Whatever it was, the common thread was that swords would be drawn.
For the Tulda family, suffering from financial difficulties due to overexpansion, there was no better opportunity. They accelerated their secretly planned weapons business for the family's prosperity. They had also begun training their knight order, which had only been used for defense, and sending them to the territories to raise funds.
With that money, mass-producing weapons would bring in enormous wealth.
So far so good, but Tulda still lacked weapons technology and information. They needed Bendon's technology and sweet, valuable information.
In their haste, they'd visited the guild to gauge reactions, but once again, funds were the obstacle.
'As that woman said, management costs would be considerable.'
Gover knew one place where he could raise money.
"Change the destination."
He gestured to the knight outside.
"I need to meet the Ohan Marquis immediately."
---
After that, no carrier pigeon or news came from Tulda.
"Send the carrier pigeon to Lapin yourself."
Damian told me.
After the suggestion came to extend Lapin's punishment by another week.
"No."
"Why."
His eyes narrowed.
"Since Lapin left, he's been sending me carrier pigeons more than twice a day."
"Twice? Damn bastard. I sent him to reflect, and he's just writing letters."
"Imagine if I suddenly sent a carrier pigeon saying to stay another week."
"He'll think you're being threatened and come running right back."
Exactly!
"If it seems really impossible, we'll have to tell him the truth."
After a moment of silence, he spoke.
"That Tulda came?"
"Or is there a better way?"
Damian was cold-headed in situations like this. That personality is probably what brought him here.
"Lapin will have a hard time."
On the other hand, I couldn't do the same. Especially when it came to Lapin.
If I honestly told him that Tulda had come, who would comfort and soothe him?
"Lucy. He's an adult now. He's no longer a helpless eighteen-year-old."
"…."
"How long are you going to shield him? Until he dies? Or until you die?"
Damian wasn't wrong, but as soon as I thought that, an odd ache spread around my heart.
"And—."
He seemed to have something else to say, but uncharacteristically, he hesitated.
"I have a favor to ask. I really didn't want to say this, but…"
Damian couldn't easily find the words.
'What?'
Something that made him hesitate this much.
It couldn't be that another letter had arrived from Tulda without my knowledge, or that some other major incident had occurred.
"How about being… my partner?"
"…?"
"Don't make that face. You understood everything."
He stammered and replied with dissatisfaction.
"This is so sudden. Not 'be my partner,' but 'how about being?'"
"Right…."
His neck already red, he spoke with difficulty.
"I thought you'd either not go to the party or go alone without a partner."
"It's my mother's request."
That's even more surprising.
"My mother has a great admiration for nobles. She latched onto the fact that you're a noble, so she'll want you to come as my partner."
Certainly, Mrs. Carding's gaze toward me had been unusual.
I recalled what Annie had said after the lady left.
「I'm sorry, Lucy! The lady kept asking about your background, so I had no choice. But I swear I didn't mention that you're from Ohan. If I did, cut my throat!」
"She's someone who keeps her word, so she'll probably restrain her letters too."
"But I'm not a noble right now — just a commoner earning a living on a guild salary."
"I'm well aware, even without specifics."
"So you're asking me to pretend?"
Damian nodded.
"It'll be hard to find a partner by tomorrow if you don't go. Actually, time is already tight — we need to get your dress measurements right away."
A dress!
That word made it feel real.
'Mrs. Carding said the party was three days from the day she came.'
At this point, tomorrow is practically the day.
"Lucy. You said you'd help if I had a hard time."
Damian didn't wait patiently for my answer.
"Even with no pay, work for nothing."
"I did say that…"
But I didn't think I'd have to help so soon! Of all times, right after Tulda had come.
"Go to town and get a dress for tomorrow."
Oh my. At the mention of a dress, his request finally hit home.
"Don't worry. The dress cost will be charged to the guild. And I'll write the carrier pigeon to Lapin."
That's not the problem right now. The thought of leaving Lapin in the west and going to a party with Damian felt uncomfortable, and I wasn't in the mood.
"You asked me the same way to become a member."
How petty, using that against me.
"Lucy. I know saying this makes it harder for you to accept my request."
Damian sighed as he spoke.
"And that you're heavy-hearted about the Tulda and Lapin matters."
"Yes, very heavy."
"But you've handled those two matters on your own. Now all you need to do is maintain proper tension and do your usual work."
"If that's the work, I'll go to the party."
"Good. Saving a person's life— wait, what did you say?"
Damian looked at me in disbelief.
"I said I'll go to the party."
My worry for Lapin was real, but I wasn't so weak that I couldn't handle other work because of it.
"Really?"
"I said no work with no pay, so how could I back out? Since I'm agreeing, I'll be a fantastic partner. But!"
At my addition, he tensed slightly.
"When you send the carrier pigeon, please be gentle, warm, and kind to Lapin. So he won't be anxious."
"…I'll try."
"Don't just try!"
"…Then I'll do my best to try."
Comments
Post a Comment