Home/The Only Sunshine in a Toxic Novel/ch54
Episode 54. Sacrifice
Was I dreaming right now?
"…."
Somehow.
There was no way Damian would have chosen me as his partner.
There was no way Lapin would have come looking for me here. And above all, there was no way Ohan's people, whom I thought I'd parted ways with forever, would politely call me 'young lady' and come find me.
"Madam. Would you please slap my cheek?"
So I could wake up from this dream quickly.
"As hard as you can, so I snap out of it."
"…."
"Hurry, madam!"
"…B-but, Ohan…"
When she'd been looking down on me, she was bold, but now the baroness was afraid.
Meanwhile, the hound that had come up behind me grabbed my arm firmly. I tried to resist, but their red light sealed my mouth and subdued my hands with force.
'A strong binding spell!'
"Forgive my rudeness, young lady."
The vivid sensation meant it wasn't a dream either.
'They stayed quiet, and now suddenly—!'
Why were they coming for me after four years of silence?
I'd heard that a girl with great mana had been born among the relatives recently — was that the reason? But to call back the incompetent eldest daughter they'd cast out? Did they think I'd somehow gained abilities?
'Or they have some scheme.'
I didn't know what it was, but one thing was certain — it wouldn't be good for me.
'Lapin is waiting.'
I couldn't let myself be captured helplessly here.
'Damn it.'
It was impossible to break a strong binding spell with bare hands. As I struggled alone, the hound approached Baroness Pentson.
"I heard you spouted nonsense about Lady Lucy insulting a noble."
"I-I…"
The baroness's face stiffened.
"You insulted the eldest daughter of the Ohan family. Should I take that as an insult to Ohan itself?"
Who's Ohan, and who's the eldest daughter? That bastard was the one spouting nonsense.
"Pentson. I'll remember that family name."
At his words, the baroness trembled silently.
A natural reaction.
Ohan held power that even the Hollen family, which the baroness boasted about, wouldn't dare to touch. And having insulted that family's eldest daughter, she must have realized that the wealth she'd painstakingly built would soon crumble.
'No! I'm not from that Ohan family!'
If only these bastards would untie my mouth, I could calm her down.
"Escort the young lady to the carriage."
At his command, the other hounds grabbed my arms and dragged me.
No, I won't go, I won't.
The people remaining in the manor stared blankly at me. Stunned by the name of Ohan, they couldn't even whisper, only watched. Among them, the man who had boldly asked me to dance earlier now hung his head, unlike before.
'Lapin.'
I couldn't leave like this.
Lapin was waiting.
I struggled until the very end, but only exhausted myself. In the meantime, I was taken outside the manor and saw that the garden, which had been busy with carriages moments ago, was now empty.
To be precise, the carriages that had been here were now packed into the corners on both sides, waiting for Ohan to leave.
"Get in."
I saw the red Ohan carriage ahead. Through the glass, a dark shape floated inside — someone was there.
"…."
The door opened, revealing a man who had shed his youthful traces. His hair was longer than before, now reaching his waist.
"Long time no see."
My younger brother, Luigi.
"Sister."
---
The carriage had been moving for thirty minutes.
And I had left Lapin alone.
He must be thinking I abandoned him, not knowing anything.
'That's not it…'
I really was going to go. I wanted to go west with him, as he wished, to speak honestly and openly.
Why did it turn out like this?
'Was there someone in the family who knew I was at the Bendon Guild?'
How did Ohan know about the manor and come for me?
If they'd been watching me all along, Lapin would have noticed earlier. That meant someone had passed my information to the Marquis Ohan.
I could easily guess who.
'Tulda.'
Somehow the puzzle pieces fit — Ohan must have passed word about me to Tulda, and having heard that, Tulda likely spoke of me in return.
'I was careless.'
That part aside, the next part was the problem.
Why was Ohan looking for me again?
"…You seem to have a lot to say."
Luigi said, looking at me.
Even though quite some time had passed since departure, he sat with the binding spell still in place.
'Damn bastard.'
What harm would it do to release me a little? Even if I were freed, running through this rain alone would be nearly impossible.
As if reading my mind, he raised his fingers and removed the binding spell from my mouth. The numbness around my lips slowly faded.
"Since you're releasing me anyway, how about releasing my hands and feet too?"
I wriggled my lips and said.
"You'd obviously run away."
"What's there to fear from an incompetent one?"
"It's not that you lack mana — you're skilled in swordsmanship and archery. You've also trained in various martial arts, making you harder to subdue than most strong opponents."
"Four years of social life have improved you."
You even know how to sweet-talk.
"A lot has changed. But…"
"…?"
"You haven't changed at all."
He scanned me up and down. Are you teasing me now?
"Why are you taking me back after throwing me out?"
I lowered my voice, suppressing my anger. Luigi hesitated, then closed his mouth again.
"Speak, Luigi. There's a reason you kidnapped me."
"…."
"The heir's position isn't easy, is it?"
At my words, his expression hardened rapidly.
"I told you. It's not just effort — it takes tremendous effort. Did you ignore my advice?"
"…."
You must have suffered quite a bit under that heavy burden, unlike the romance you imagined.
In your case, you probably suffered even more because you tasted freedom through me for a while before taking the position.
"You know, Luigi. I understand you."
I didn't have much desire to take my anger out on him. He'd merely become the Marquis's new chess piece; kidnapping me wasn't his own will, but an order from the Marquis.
"Release me."
I redirected the arrow of misdirected anger back toward the Marquis and spoke calmly.
"You don't want me to come back to Ohan either. Tell Father I fell off a cliff while trying to escape."
"Do you think Father would fall for that?"
"Just say I went missing. And I really will go missing."
With Lapin, it wouldn't be that hard to hide our tracks and lie low for a month.
"Luca is sick."
"Why is Luca sick? He can just be treated."
Where was this 'red is actually yellow' nonsense coming from?
In terms of healing-type mana alone, Luca was far superior to Lapin. Even with aphasia, he possessed the power to save even a dying life.
"To keep Luca from getting sick, we need you."
"Why me?"
Luigi looked at me with slightly wet eyes.
"Please take Luca's place as the sacrifice."
Sacrifice?
"…Hey, would you do it?"
The meaning of 'sacrifice' was broad, but one thing was clear — it would be something terrible and bad for me.
I should be making a reasonable request, regardless of whether I agree or not. Luigi, with a calm expression, nodded.
"You have to do it. Because you're strong."
Comments
Post a Comment