Home/The Secretary's Dignity/ch59


Chapter 59


"Stop staring like that. You're scary. Anyone would think you're fighting over Si-hyun."


Unlike Jeong-woo's easy laughter, Hae-joon's expression refused to soften. He was on edge, like a guard dog wary of anyone approaching its master.


"If Si-hyun keeps working here, I won't make the offer. Her decision matters most."


Jeong-woo shrugged, smiling as if to say he wasn't the kind of guy who'd poach an employee from a friend's company. But Hae-joon's expression didn't budge.


"Loosen up a little."


Hae-joon had been glaring so intensely that even Jeong-woo felt awkward. He'd never seen Hae-joon react this way. He was usually cold, indifferent—but this open display of emotion was rare, and it caught Jeong-woo off guard.


"What about my face?"


Hae-joon finally relaxed his brow. Somewhere in his heart, there was a vague trust in Si-hyun. A belief that if he told her not to quit, she would stay.


They had history together. They'd overcome countless obstacles as a team. People who go through hard times together develop camaraderie, a bond of shared experience. Those feelings don't change easily. Cha Si-hyun, as he knew her, would be that way. Definitely.


Hae-joon repeated the reasons why Si-hyun wouldn't leave, trying to calm his unease.


"If Si-hyun's too sick to come in, she must be really unwell, right?"


Every time Jeong-woo said her name, it grated on him, and he couldn't get used to it.


"I think I'll go see her. I've dropped her off before, actually. When I checked my navigation, her address was still there."


Hae-joon's brow furrowed again, as if a trigger had been pressed.


"You've dropped her off?"

"Yeah, before, when we met."


What was this feeling of defeat? Hae-joon had taken childish pride in knowing where she lived, feeling he had an edge over Jeong-woo. But hearing that Jeong-woo had been to her house only made him more anxious. Their relationship might have been deeper than he thought.


"Do you know how rude it is to show up at someone's house without permission?"

"It's not that rude to check on someone who's sick. I was going to bring her medicine."

"She can take care of herself."

"How do you know?"

"I just do. She'll take her medicine and rest. Don't go bother her."


Hae-joon, who had done the same thing himself, was shamelessly telling Jeong-woo not to do it. The height of hypocrisy.


"Would you be comfortable if someone suddenly showed up at your door when you're sick?"


Even as he said it, Hae-joon replayed his own actions. Telling Driver Choi to turn the car around had seemed impulsive, but it was just his feelings for Si-hyun surfacing. He'd been thinking about her all through the morning meeting. Unable to bear it, he'd bought medicine and gone to her house.


Hae-joon, who hated unannounced visits, had just barged into someone's home. If Jeong-woo knew, he'd have been shocked.


He'd hesitated before ringing the doorbell, but finally pressed it. The door opened immediately. Si-hyun's mother was just as she'd been before. Her eyes widened in surprise, and she beamed just like the last time.


For a moment, Hae-joon wondered if Si-hyun was really sick. Why would a mother smile so brightly when her daughter was ill?


'How did you know Si-hyun was sick and bring all this?'


She took the medicine and started talking a mile a minute.


'You're so handsome. Why are you just standing there? Come in! Have some tea, or have you eaten? You should see Si-hyun. I look a mess—I didn't know anyone was coming.'


She spoke so quickly that Hae-joon couldn't get a word in. He'd wanted to properly introduce himself as the president she worked with, but she gave him no opening.


'Why are you acting like you're about to leave? Come in! I was so disappointed you left so quickly last time.'


Suk-kyung gripped his jacket sleeve as if he might bolt.


'How is she feeling now?'

'Si-hyun? She has a slight fever, but it's gone down from last night. She's sleeping now. If you wait a little, she might wake up.'


He'd come to see Si-hyun, but if she was sleeping, he wouldn't get to see her. And if Suk-kyung got a hold of him, he might not escape. The moment he stepped inside, he'd be trapped like in quicksand.


'I just came to drop off the medicine. Please make sure she takes it. I'll be going now.'


He bowed politely and turned to leave. But Suk-kyung, reluctant to let him go, still held his sleeve. He gently pulled his arm free.


'What a shame, leaving so soon again.'

'Goodbye.'


When had he ever bowed so politely to anyone? Thinking of her as Si-hyun's parents made him more respectful.


Once again, he'd left without introducing himself. Even as he walked away, he felt dazed. What was he doing? Under some spell? At work hours, he was here, dropping off medicine.


"What are you thinking about?"


Hae-joon snapped out of his reverie at Jeong-woo's question. He'd been so deep in thought he'd forgotten Jeong-woo was there.


"You're right. I shouldn't just show up—it would make her uncomfortable. I've already been rejected, I don't want to make it worse."


Jeong-woo checked his watch and stood up.


"I've said what I came to say, so I'll be going. Got a lot to prepare for starting this new venture."

"Good luck."


Even as he said it, Hae-joon's feelings were conflicted. He meant it as a friendly wish, but he also worried that if Jeong-woo did too well, he might actually poach Si-hyun. His heart wavered dozens of times a day.


---


"Are you feeling better, Si-hyun?"

-Yes, thanks to your concern, I'm much better.

"I should have given you a ride yesterday. I should have insisted."

-No, I was the one who refused. Please don't worry. I'm really feeling much better!


Si-hyun seemed to be trying to sound brighter, to ease Jeong-woo's worry. Her voice made him smile even as he worried about her.


It was good to hear her voice, and even though he'd been rejected, he was glad to be talking to her.


"Don't tire yourself out talking to me. Get some rest. I'll let you go."

-Thank you for your concern.


After the call, Jeong-woo stared at his phone for a long time. She hadn't answered earlier, but called back hours later, saying she'd just woken up and seen his missed calls.


Hearing her voice lifted the heaviness in his chest. The disappointment from yesterday's rejection seemed to vanish.


"Smiling at your phone like a fool? Have you lost it?"


His friend Young-min tapped his shoulder.


"Did I?"

"Yeah, grinning like a crazy person. Something good happen?"


Jeong-woo pocketed his phone and grinned.


"Good? I got rejected yesterday."

"You got rejected? Who's this woman?"


Young-min's eyes widened in surprise. He'd seen plenty of women approach Jeong-woo, but never heard of him being turned down.


"She exists. A wonderful, beautiful woman. Let's not talk about it—it hurts."


Jeong-woo suggested they grab a drink and headed to a nearby bar.


"By the way, what's gotten into you suddenly wanting to play CEO? I thought you didn't want to take over your father's company?"


He'd thought that way in his younger, more rebellious days—that his father's company was his father's, not his. He'd even kept his distance.


But as he grew older, his perspective shifted. People might sneer and call him born with a silver spoon, but it wasn't an opportunity everyone got. He thought it might be good to use it as a stepping stone to grow the company further.


With only vague plans, he'd returned to Korea. He didn't have anything concrete in mind—he planned to take a year off, read, think, and figure out his direction. Then, an unexpected variable appeared.


A woman he'd once wanted to meet appeared at a blind date, and he fell even harder for her. He wanted to be her man. Her hesitance to open her heart was complicated by Hae-joon, his friend, by her side. When he'd visited the hospital and seen them together, he'd had his suspicions—and they'd been right.


Visiting Hae-joon's office today confirmed it. Hae-joon had feelings for her too—deeply.


He felt bad for his friend, but he couldn't let go of a woman who'd captured his heart. Si-hyun was Hae-joon's secretary, nothing more. He still had a chance.


He'd use every method available. So he'd told his father he wanted to put together a team and run it.


'What's this? When I suggested it before, you said you wanted to take a break and do nothing.'

'I've changed my mind.'


With his father's support, he planned to quickly assemble a team and get started. Even though Si-hyun had said she was quitting, she was still Hae-joon's secretary, and having him so close made Jeong-woo impatient.


He couldn't turn back now. Whatever the outcome, he'd see it through to the end.



Comments