Home/The villainess's personal maid is very good at her job/ch 20
Episode 20
'I had granted Miss Janet permission to recognize only my usual appearance.'
The appearance of 'Theo' whom she conversed with.
But how had she seen through the magical tool's cognitive resistance?
"Are you sure it's safe to be walking around like this? What if someone recognizes you?"
"That won't happen."
Kendrick answered firmly.
"For one, others won't be able to identify me by this appearance."
"Ah. Is that so?"
"Yes. In fact, you're the first person to recognize me."
"Oh my."
Letting out a small sigh, Janet murmured.
"I suppose everyone else has poor intuition."
Intuition. Was that something that could be dismissed so easily?
"Anyway, I never imagined the Illinia agent hidden in Ludwig would be you. I never even considered it."
"Well, yes……"
"You do infiltrations yourself, even as Vice-Captain?"
Whisper, whisper.
At her lowered question, Kendrick also answered in a low voice.
"Ludwig is a great noble house. If someone clumsy were caught, it would be a disaster, so I move personally."
"The Vice-Captain's responsibilities are heavy indeed."
"Well. Something like that."
"Either way, it's refreshing and nice to see you in Ludwig."
Putting aside unnecessary concerns, Janet reached into the small bag she had brought.
"Actually, the reason I left that note asking to meet today is that I have something I'd like you to investigate."
What Janet produced were two neatly folded handkerchiefs.
The centers bulged slightly, as if something was inside.
Receiving the handkerchiefs, Kendrick checked their contents.
"Tea leaves?"
"Each is from the Lady's tea caddy and the ones stored in the storeroom."
No matter how she thought about it, the reason the word 'Salvation' had appeared pointed to those tea leaves.
"Please check if these tea leaves contain any impurities."
"Impurities—you mean someone has put something in Julietta's—no, in the Lady's tea?"
Theo asked back with an angry face.
Janet calmly nodded.
Until Janet arrived, tea leaf management had been Shien's responsibility. The tea leaves currently in the storeroom had also been ordered by Shien.
'If Shien had put something in the Lady's tea leaves……'
As someone who stole from others without hesitation, she was certainly suspicious.
But it was puzzling.
'Why would Shien put something in the Lady's tea leaves?'
What benefit would she gain from doing that?
After much thought, Janet reached one conclusion.
"Yes. I think so too. It seems someone used Shien to tamper with the Lady's tea."
"Shien? That maid who left scars on Miss Janet?"
Scars, she said.
They were barely visible now.
Quite some time had passed since the incident, and the medicine Theo had given her was remarkably effective.
Thanks to that, nearly three weeks later, no scars remained.
But now wasn't the time to dwell on that.
"Aside from me, Shien was the only one who could freely handle the tea leaves."
"But why would that maid—"
Mid-sentence, Theo's face hardened sharply. He too had come to a realization.
'There's someone behind Shien.'
Someone with another purpose.
And he already had a good idea who that someone was.
"The Head Housekeeper. I suspect Nova Morgan."
"I think so too."
Hadn't Shien screamed "Call the Head Housekeeper!" the entire time she was being dragged away by the guards?
'I thought it was just because they had a bribe-taking relationship.'
He also suspected that the missing yellow diamond had ended up in Nova's hands.
He had considered tracing the diamond to expose Nova's crimes, but it seemed like it would blow things up too much, so he'd backed off.
But—
'If Nova really ordered Shien to harm the Lady……'
That couldn't be overlooked.
As the Lady's 'exclusive handmaiden,' she had a duty to protect her safety.
Meanwhile, Kendrick was struggling to suppress the burning rage within him.
'How dare that woman……'
He had long been aware that Nova used subordinates to fill her own pockets.
He had simply turned a blind eye out of consideration for the fact that she had been Julietta's nursemaid, and that Julietta still trusted and relied on her.
Above all, he had no desire to meddle in Ludwig's affairs.
Kendrick was sick and tired of 'Ludwig.' If it weren't for his sister Julietta, he might have abandoned the family long ago.
But to think his inaction would lead to such consequences.
"Miss Janet."
"Yes?"
"I'm truly glad I made a contract with you."
At the sudden words, Janet blinked.
But Kendrick was utterly serious.
'At first, I just wanted to place someone trustworthy by Julietta's side.'
It would be problematic if some useless person became her handmaiden and further tarnished Julietta's already poor reputation.
That was about the extent of his motivation for hiring Janet.
If it hadn't been Janet, he would have hired someone else.
But now, looking back—
"If I had taken anyone other than Miss Janet's hand, I would surely regret it now. Let me promise you this—I will take responsibility for your future from now on."
'Take responsibility for my future?'
At the unexpectedly grand declaration, Janet drew in a sharp breath.
At the same time, a question she had deliberately buried resurfaced.
'What exactly is Theo's relationship with her Ladyship?'
---
Swoosh, swoosh.
A large comb ran through the dazzling golden hair. Janet had become quite skilled at brushing Julietta's hair.
Yawn.
"You didn't sleep well again last night?"
"……Mm. A little."
Yawn.
Julietta let out another yawn and closed her tired eyes once before opening them.
"It's fine. I'm used to it by now."
Waving her hand dismissively, Julietta's answer filled Janet with a sense of pity.
It had been nearly a month since the Shien incident and since Julietta had opened her heart to Janet.
In that time, Janet had learned many things about Julietta.
That she suffered from extreme anxiety and fear about revealing her vulnerabilities to others.
And perhaps as a result, she had long suffered from chronic insomnia.
'As for the first—most people feel that way, but……'
Who would want to expose their weaknesses to others?
But in Janet's view, Julietta's case seemed severe.
By the medical knowledge from her previous life, it was at a level that suggested moderate anxiety or paranoia.
She even thought that perhaps the reason Julietta was rumored to be a 'villainess' might be due to this.
After all, fear of circumstances sometimes manifested as anger.
"My Lady."
"Mm?"
"If you're not feeling well, you must tell me."
At Janet's words, Julietta narrowed her eyes.
Look at her, worrying about someone else.
But such concern was rare, and it wasn't unpleasant.
"I'll think about it."
Just as they were both about to laugh at Julietta's prim reply—
Knock, knock.
Along with the sound of knocking, a maid's voice came from outside the door.
"My Lady, Head Housekeeper Nova has invited you to have tea with her. How would you like to respond?"
"What? Nova?!"
At the name Nova, Julietta's eyes sparkled.
"Tell her I'll be right there—no, tell her I'll come immediately!"
Seeing her smile brightly like an excited child, Janet couldn't hide her complicated feelings.
---
"Welcome, my Lady. And Lady Graham as well."
Nova greeted the two with a bright face.
"I've been so remiss in visiting you, my Lady, haven't I?"
"It's fine. Since you became Head Housekeeper, you must be busy. I understand completely."
"Thank you for saying that."
Hehe.
Covering her mouth with a smile, Nova glanced at Janet.
"How about Lady Graham? Have you adapted well to your duties as handmaiden?"
"Yes. Thanks to you, I've adapted well."
At Janet's polite reply, Nova's eyebrows twitched.
"Thanks to me? What did I do?"
Comments
Post a Comment