Home/The villainess's personal maid is very good at her job/ch 51
Episode 51
Kendrick found the current situation absurd. To be precise, Richard's attitude was absurd.
'What's this? Why is he acting like that all of a sudden?'
Wasn't this the same guy who had no interest in others, cold and rude to the point of crushing people's spirits with his brusque tone?
Yet his manner toward Miss Janet seemed a bit subtle.
Should he say it was careful?
'I thought he'd dislike Miss Janet.'
Richard and the Marchioness had a strained relationship.
It had become that way at some point.
It wasn't as bad as the former Julietta and Kendrick, but it was clearly not a warm father-son relationship.
In particular, Richard disapproved of the Marchioness's actions.
So he'd naturally assumed Richard wouldn't like the Marchioness writing a recommendation letter for Miss Janet.
'……What's with that reaction?'
Well, it was fortunate he didn't dislike Miss Janet, but……
Why did he feel so vaguely unsettled?
Harboring this inexplicable confusion, Kendrick subtly stepped between them.
"So, you said the Marchioness is looking for me?"
---
"Oh! How long has it been, Kendrick!"
At the sound of the door opening, a large middle-aged man sprawled on the sofa leaped up.
Lightly vaulting over the sofa, he hurried over and stopped before Kendrick.
"Did you do well on the exam? You didn't just hand in a blank sheet like an idiot, did you?!"
"Do you take me for the Guild Master?"
"Oh, what a funny thing to say! If it were me, I'd get full marks! Full marks! I'm so smart!"
"Could you lower your voice first? My ears are about to fall off."
"Bahahaha! This loud voice is proof of good health!"
Though he irritably covered his ears against the booming voice, the corners of Kendrick's mouth were subtly turned upward.
The Guild Master of Illinia.
Count Liam Ortega.
He was also the Marchioness who guarded the border between the North and the Magical Kingdom.
If the little hero celebrated in the Ashleyad War was Kendrick, the great hero was this man.
Liam, letting out a hearty laugh, sat down.
Kendrick naturally took a seat across from him.
"So. Did you do well on the exam?"
"Fairly well."
"If you say so, you must have passed."
Having known Kendrick for so long, Liam easily grasped the meaning behind his words.
As Liam nodded contentedly, his expression turned sly.
Just as a bad feeling arose—
"So, did that Miss Janet do well too?"
"Why are you asking about that?"
"The young man who's my son is interested—of course I need to know!"
Bahaha.
With a boisterous laugh, Liam scanned Kendrick with playful eyes.
"You refused to go to the Academy no matter how much I urged you. But the moment Miss Janet says she's going, you follow along like a puppy."
"That's not it."
"What do you mean, 'that's not it'? Every time you report to me, your name is always attached to 'Janet'."
"……."
At Liam's words, Kendrick was momentarily speechless.
'Did I do that?'
Come to think of it, it might be true. Certainly, ever since making a contract with Miss Janet, her name had appeared in every report.
But that couldn't be helped.
Because after Miss Janet became Julietta's handmaiden, various incidents kept occurring.
Yes. Her name appearing in the reports was entirely due to that.
"Anyway. Why did you come to the capital?"
"Hm? I came because I was curious about your exam."
"And what about the Northern territory?"
"Eh, I left it to my substitute. Benjamin's probably managing things well by now."
Benjamin was one of Liam's vassals. Trustworthy and quick, he was often left in charge when Liam was away.
Whether Liam was wandering elsewhere or heading off to war.
Thinking of Benjamin, who was probably working hard in his stead, Kendrick shook his head.
"Anyway, I heard the news. You finally reconciled with your sister?"
"What reconciliation? We never fought in the first place."
At Kendrick's feigned nonchalance, Liam let out a dry laugh.
He thought he'd grown up, but he still had some childish traits left.
"So are you ending your seclusion now?"
"No. I'll continue it."
"Eh? Why."
"To keep an eye on the Grand Duchess."
He had already informed Liam, the Guild Master of Illinia, about Nova and the Grand Duchess.
"That's true. It would be easier to move that way."
To face a strong opponent, one must first hide and observe the situation.
"If I appear, the Grand Duchess will surely start her checks again."
He hadn't told Janet, but in fact, Kendrick's deployment to the war at such a young age was also likely the Grand Duchess's doing.
Most of those who had pushed for Kendrick's participation were on the Grand Duchess's side.
The Grand Duchess must have hoped he would die on the battlefield.
At the very least, she hadn't wished for him to return with a title like "youngest war hero."
Though he'd been in seclusion for three years, Kendrick still remained in people's memories as a "hero."
He didn't know how the Grand Duchess would react if he ended his seclusion and returned.
If the sparks flew toward those around him—like Julietta or Janet—it would be troublesome.
"Hm. I'll look into the Grand Duchess's side too."
"That won't be necessary."
"Eh?"
"You can focus on your own work, Guild Master."
At the mention of "his own work," Liam hesitated. A bitter expression spread across his face.
"Yes. I should."
"……Did you not find any clues at the last place you visited either?"
"No. There was nothing."
At the subdued reply, Kendrick looked at Liam with worried eyes.
"You'll find it. So don't give up."
"Tch. Who said anything about giving up! Do I look like I'd give up?"
"No. You don't."
"Alright, alright. I won't give up."
Forcing a brave smile, Liam nodded and asked.
"By the way, did you meet Richard?"
"Yes. I saw him. Richard was the one who told me you were in the capital."
"That kid. Pretending not to care, but he follows through when told."
His face softened with affection as he thought of his grown son.
"Then did Miss Janet meet Richard too?"
At that question, Kendrick flinched.
"……."
"Kendrick?"
"They met."
Kendrick's eyes narrowed as he answered gruffly.
"Then why that expression? Did something happen between Miss Janet and Richard?"
"Nothing happened."
It was an excessively firm answer.
Wasn't there a saying?
That excessive denial meant affirmation.
But——
'Did something really happen between Richard, Kendrick, and Miss Janet?'
……He couldn't imagine it at all.
But one thing was certain—this was a very amusing situation.
'Hm. It's about time I met Miss Janet myself.'
After all, he was her sponsor and recommender.
Chuckling, Liam was watched uneasily by Kendrick.
---
Chapter. A Good Patron
After Geron's birthday ball and the Academy entrance exam had passed.
With all the major events behind them, peaceful days followed.
The exam results were scheduled to be announced two weeks before the summer semester began.
The timing was tight, as results and the semester start were close, but being a special admissions process, it couldn't be helped.
"Summer will be here soon."
"Right. I hate the heat."
"The Academy will be cool."
"Hmm. You're speaking as if you've already passed."
"Thanks to your consideration, and with Madam Joanna's recommendation letter, I think I did reasonably well on the exam."
Janet smiled as she continued.
"I used to think I was an unlucky person."
"What? You?"
"Yes. But after meeting you, I changed my mind. I think I'm actually very fortunate."
At Janet's sincere words, Julietta blinked.
"Hm, hmm. What a corny thing to say……"
Despite her prim words, a smile appeared on her face.
And then, a few days later—
"Excuse me, handmaiden. You have a visitor."
At Sandy's words, Janet tilted her head.
A visitor for me?
Comments
Post a Comment