Home/The villainess's personal maid is very good at her job/ch 54
Episode 54
Under a blue sky, young Janet stood alone.
Her short-cropped hair left her neck exposed to the cool air.
The sound of leaves rustling in the wind came from all directions.
'No. That's not it.'
It wasn't the wind. It was the sound of people moving.
The sound of those lying in ambush throughout the brush shifting their positions.
Cold sweat trickled down her back.
I don't want to die.
I want to live.
Her hand gripped a sword as long as her body. Then, her left wrist, bound with a handkerchief, faintly glowed.
Looking up at the blue sky, she felt like she might burst into tears.
The sky was so piercingly blue it hurt her eyes. Under this sky, how many lives and deaths would cross paths today?
"……The weather sure is nice."
It was too beautiful a day to die.
So today too, she had no choice but to survive.
With renewed resolve, the young body began to run swiftly toward somewhere.
---
"Why do you look so pale?"
"I didn't sleep well last night."
"You do that sometimes. Was it because of those visitors yesterday?"
Oh my. How perceptive.
Though struck directly, Janet smiled and brushed it off.
"More importantly, is it alright for me to be here?"
Janet naturally changed the subject.
"This is a meeting with Lord Kendrick. Wouldn't it be better for the two of you to talk alone?"
"No. I don't want to."
"Pardon? Why not?"
Today was the day Kendrick was coming to see Julietta.
At Kendrick's request to "keep the meeting a secret," they'd decided to meet in Julietta's private study rather than the reception room.
Since they'd just started mending their relationship, it seemed better for the siblings to talk privately.
But Julietta was adamant.
"You absolutely have to stay too, Janet. What if it gets awkward with just the two of us?!"
"But you said you two had a good talk last time."
"That was at the ball. We were wearing masks."
Of course, only Kendrick had been wearing a mask.
Still, the difference between wearing a mask and not was significant.
Just thinking about facing him directly already made her tongue tie.
"You're my emotional stabilizer. So you have to stay by my side."
Should she be happy about that, or not?
Caught in ambivalence, Janet let out an awkward "Haha."
"And I also want to introduce you to Kendrick."
"Introduce me?"
"Yeah. You're my only handmaiden. And you're the one who helped us reconcile."
"What did I do……"
"What did you do? You did everything. Without you, I would have never apologized to Kendrick."
Glancing at Janet's moved expression, Julietta added primly.
"I'm someone who acknowledges what needs to be acknowledged."
Time passed, and the appointed hour arrived. Janet had just placed three teacups on the table when—
Tap, tap.
A sound lighter than a knock came from somewhere.
"What in the…… hup. What's that?"
Looking around for the source, Julietta sighed heavily upon spotting a familiar figure clinging to the window.
"Why is he coming from there?"
"Could that be Lord Kendrick?"
At Janet's question, Julietta squeezed her eyes shut and nodded.
"Ha. Did I really reconcile with him?"
No sooner had they reconciled than her family was embarrassing her like this.
Screech.
As Janet opened the locked window, Kendrick climbed over the sill and entered the room.
"So this is how you sneak in?"
"Yeah. This window faces the North Forest. I figured no one would be watching."
"Yeah. You're probably right."
Calmly, Kendrick wiped the soles of his shoes with the cloth he'd brought.
"Climbing through the window, yet still having manners."
"Of course."
Watching the siblings exchange conversation so naturally, Janet smiled faintly.
She'd been worried about awkwardness, but there was none of that.
Then again—how could it be awkward after witnessing someone climb through a window?
Besides—
"But why are you wearing a mask again today?"
Indeed. Kendrick was still wearing a mask.
It wasn't as ornate as the one from the ball, but his face above his nose was hidden.
"Because I'm shy."
"……What?"
"Truth is, after being in seclusion so long, I'm not very good at talking. But last time, maybe because of the mask, I was able to talk with you comfortably."
"So you wore a mask for that?"
"Yeah."
At the crisp answer, Julietta was speechless.
What could she say when he said that?
Besides, he'd worn it to talk comfortably with her—she couldn't scold him for it.
Only—
"Crazy bastard."
She couldn't hold back the curse that slipped out.
---
Kendrick, having appeared with a mask on, took his seat.
Across from him, Janet and Julietta sat side by side.
"This is my handmaiden. Lady Janet Graham."
"Hello, I'm Janet Graham. Thank you for your help the other day."
At Janet's greeting, Julietta tilted her head.
"Kendrick helped you?"
"Yes. I ran into some trouble, and Lord Kendrick assisted me."
Janet didn't tell Julietta about the incident with Samuel.
She didn't want to burden Julietta, who was happy about reconciling with her twin brother, with unnecessary worry.
'Besides, it's already been resolved.'
Though she'd never imagined she'd run into Samuel again at the Academy exam hall.
"It wasn't anything serious, was it?"
"Of course not. Not at all."
Janet had just finished answering cheerfully when—
"Your handmaiden doesn't seem to consider almost being attacked by a man as serious?"
"What?! Is that true, Janet?! Who threatened you?"
At Julietta's startled reaction, Janet blinked.
Then she shot Kendrick a sidelong glance.
Anyone could see that was him deliberately tattling.
Of course, she hadn't asked him to keep it a secret, but……!
"Samuel Verdin. Count Verdin's grandson."
"Ha. How dare he threaten a woman in Ludwig at night?"
As Julietta gritted her teeth, vowing not to let it slide, Janet threw another resentful look at Kendrick.
---
"Not long ago, her Ladyship introduced me to Lord Kendrick."
"……Oh."
At Janet's report, Theo paused.
Today was Janet's day off, so they'd met at Soluna.
Theo had insisted on bringing her to try a menu item he wanted to show her.
"So, how was it?"
"Hmm, well. He wasn't a bad person, I suppose."
At Janet's vague response, Kendrick swallowed nervously.
'Did I make a mistake by telling Julietta?'
But at that moment, he couldn't help himself.
She'd been threatened by a large man in a secluded, dark place—and nearly hit with a rock.
Watching her calmly say it "wasn't serious" made his mouth move on its own.
In the end, Julietta spent over thirty minutes interrogating Janet and cursing Samuel.
"Just let me see him—I'll pluck every hair out by the root. I'll show you the power of a villainess."
Watching Julietta burn with revenge on her behalf, Janet alternated between delight and bewilderment.
'That was kind of cute…… Hm?'
Smiling unconsciously, Kendrick's lashes fluttered.
What was he just thinking……
Just then—
"Your order is ready."
At the timely arrival of the food, Kendrick was able to cut off his embarrassing thoughts.
"Cream pasta?"
"It's not just cream pasta."
"Then what is it?"
"Cream pasta made with oat milk instead of regular milk."
At those words, Janet's eyes went wide as she looked between the pasta and Theo.
"This has oat milk in it?"
"Yes. Recently, several restaurants run by Illinia have been testing new menu items."
Comments
Post a Comment