Home/How to Survive as a Slime in Another World/ch79
Chapter 79
Kugugu…….
"This door can only be opened by summoning a top-class spirit, you see. It's a space formed by ancient spirit magic that would be difficult to recreate now."
I believe there hasn't been anyone capable of summoning a top-class spirit among humans for nearly 500 years. Zelmir chuckled behind his hand.
"……So it's practically an impenetrable fortress."
Zelmir pushed the door open with his hand, and the elves' treasury was revealed. Everyone fell silent.
"Wow."
It was a breathtaking array of neatly organized treasures, works of art, armor, and weapons. As befitting a place so carefully hidden by the elves, it was filled to the ceiling with items showcasing their exquisite artistry.
"Except for the separate space at the far end, you may each choose one item from anywhere you like."
"Re-really, we can choose from all of this?"
Delro's eyes sparkled as he stomped his feet.
Zelmir nodded, said he'd be reading a book for a while, and settled into a chair in the corner.
"Let's go!"
The group scattered. Delro headed straight for the area lined with weapons, while Melden deliberated for a while before bringing various items to Zelmir with questions. As everyone was busy selecting their items, a small figure shuffled over to Zelmir, who was slowly turning pages.
"Umm, Lord Zelmir."
It was Leon.
"Yes?"
Zelmir extended his hand to Leon with his characteristic gentle smile.
"Oh, it's nothing. I just don't really know what's good, even if I look around……."
"There are a lot of difficult items, aren't there?"
Zelmir chuckled and took Leon's hand.
"You can bring me something if you like it and ask about it. Or is there something specific you'd like?"
Leon fidgeted his fingers, his ears red.
"W-well……."
Zelmir, having lived for hundreds of years, patiently waited for Leon.
"Is there something that could make me grow faster?"
With a bright red face, Leon looked up at Zelmir.
"I'm too short and too weak, so……."
Leon scratched his own fingers with his nails. Well, I just want to grow up quickly. Zelmir's green eyes reflected Leon's round head.
"How old are you, Leon?"
"Fo-fourteen."
Fourteen, yet he's small for his age. Leon's face reddened, and he couldn't lift his head. When the mercenary group first learned Leon's age, everyone had been surprised. Due to his hard life, even though Melden had been feeding him well and he'd gained a little weight, Leon still felt impatient with his small stature.
"Hehe, I think I have just the thing."
Zelmir calmly took Leon's hand and walked a short distance.
"Ah, it's up there. Sylph, could you bring it down?"
What Zelmir received from the sylph and handed over was a pendant in the form of a necklace. A small, egg-shaped pendant necklace dropped into Leon's palm.
"It's a necklace worn from childhood by a famous sage from long ago. It helps you sleep well and aids in growth."
Leon looked at the sparkling white pendant and smiled softly.
"It's so pretty."
Will I really grow taller if I sleep with this on? At Leon's question, Zelmir gently wrapped an arm around his shoulder as if he found it endearing.
"Of course. I'm sure you'll grow quickly."
Leon's face lit up with a big smile.
"As big as Delro-nim?"
"……Hmm, that, I'm not sure."
Zelmir's smiling face subtly stopped.
In the distance, the large Delro, moving his arm, sent the displayed swords crashing down.
"Hmm, I suppose it's too much."
Still happy, Leon held the pendant and ran do-do-do to help Delro tidy the weapons.
Soon, all three had finished choosing their items.
"I never imagined I'd see something like this here!"
Delro, with the happiest face in the world, proudly held out his new sword.
"This is, a greatsword."
"You chose a sword?"
Delro thrust his face close to Zelmir.
"Anyway, my sword got damaged cutting through those tough trolls, so I was going to have to get it repaired again. I can't believe elves handle greatswords like this too!"
Zelmir glanced at Delro's chosen sword and nodded.
"It's not a greatsword that elves used, you know. It's an old famous sword made by elves and used by humans."
"As expected! I gave it a quick swing earlier, and the feel is incredible!"
"Yes. It's the sword of Martinia Welden."
Cough.
Melden choked and coughed.
"Welden—are you talking about Martinia Welden, the hero of Tassen?"
"Hmph, who's that?"
"Yes, she had ties with elves back then. After Tassen stabilized, she entrusted her sword to us again."
Elija's and Melden's faces went pale.
'Is it really okay to take a sword like this out now?'
"Keu-ha-hak, the one who used this sword was a woman? That's amazing! I'd love to meet her!"
Melden looked at Delro with a dumbfounded face.
"Delro……, she was a person from 300 years ago."
"What?"
Why did she die so young! As Delro opened his mouth wide in protest, Melden smacked his head.
"You should at least know about the strongest hero of the neighboring country!"
"Thanks to Welden, Tassen was recognized as a proper nation, and she had a huge impact on politics—you probably learned about her in history class……."
As Elija muttered, Delro frowned.
"History is, not my field."
Ha, sighing as if the ground would cave in, Melden had chosen an earring.
"After asking Lord Zelmir, I decided this was what I needed most."
Everyone, curious about Melden's choice, turned their eyes to Zelmir.
"It just looks like a white earring. Why'd you pick that? I thought you'd choose something incredibly expensive."
Delro swung his legs and leaned toward the earring Melden was holding.
"Depending on the circumstances, it's more valuable than any treasure."
Zelmir took the earring from Melden and held it up to the light.
"It's an earring enchanted with an ancient defensive barrier. Once activated, you have to wait a full year before you can use it again, but the barrier level is exceptional."
After examining the earring, Zelmir returned it to Melden.
"Fortunately, it's in good condition."
"A defensive barrier?"
For the curious Delro, Zelmir kindly added an explanation.
"When the wearer faces a life-threatening danger, the barrier activates automatically. Its size and strength vary depending on the wearer's situation, and its power is…… well, enough to survive a dragon's breath, I'd say."
At Zelmir's fresh smile, Leon clasped his hands together in front of his chest.
"That's so cool! What an amazing treasure!"
"I thought that doing mercenary work, it would be good to have at least one means of protecting myself. There will be many dangerous situations ahead……."
Melden placed the earring in his bosom with a solemn expression.
"Pfft, you're not going to activate it by falling down the stairs and waste a whole year like when you broke your leg before, are you?"
Bbajik, a vein stood out on Melden's forehead. While Melden was grinding his foot into Delro's, Elija quietly approached Zelmir with his chosen item.
"This is……."
Elija had chosen a small bracelet.
"It's a bracelet that grants night vision. It has a permanent enchantment, which is nice, but I thought you'd choose something more valuable. Is there a reason?"
Elija awkwardly fidgeted with the bracelet in his hand. The slender bracelet had a neat silver body with a single small black stone set in it.
Comments
Post a Comment