Home/My Youngest Keeps Bringing Me Male Leads/ch 48


Chapter 48


"It was for teaching the two young masters of the Waldemar household, so I roughly remember them."


"Still, there are more than just a few!"


At that, Lady Ronette, who had been listening quietly, curled her red lips and asked.


"How interesting. If you don't mind, may I test you briefly?"


It seemed she doubted that Agnes could really memorize people she'd never even met.


But it truly wasn't difficult.


As Agnes answered every question without omission, a flicker of interest appeared in Lady Ronette's eyes.


"The young masters of Waldemar must have learned well under a fine teacher."


"You flatter me."


"Of course, I wouldn't choose just anyone as a governess. Not for someone who would teach my children."


As the Countess smiled with satisfaction, praising her own choice, Lady Chabot interjected once more.


"Now that I've met you in person, I finally understand. Actually, in Calben City, whenever people gathered, the topic of what the Laverose family had bought was always a hot subject."


"Do you know everything I purchased?"


"Oh my, didn't you know? To the ladies here, it might be unimaginably trivial, but the people I know aren't exactly well-off, so buying quality goods on a limited budget is quite difficult. Yet..."


She felt she could guess what would follow.


'They mean I bought good value for the price.'


She couldn't tell if it was praise or mockery, but Lady Chabot continued with a rather favorable gaze.


"I heard the Laverose family renovated their entire mansion this time—what wallpaper they used, what curtains, what roof tiles... Everyone was in a frenzy to buy the same things."


"How fascinating. I had no idea such things were talked about."


Lady Ronette laughed, and Lady Chabot replied as if it were only natural.


"It makes sense, doesn't it? The story of a noble who struck it rich from a Crack and overcame hardship is intriguing in itself."


"Is it true that your younger sister really came back alive from a Crack?"


This time, Amellia, Lady Ronette's daughter, asked with curious eyes.


Agnes nodded.


"Actually, I haven't met her myself yet, but the guests who came to our house said they met her. They told me she would be returning soon."


"That's right. I heard rumors of the Marquis of Celesta, an elf, and even a giant... Are they true?"


Agnes smiled wryly.


Over the past month, she'd been so busy she hadn't given a thought to what people might be thinking.


'Should I have kept the trading company in check?'


It was a useless thought.


Even if she had, information would have leaked.


Supplies were being transported and orders exchanged—she couldn't control every step of that process.


Again, Lady Chabot's eyes sparkled as she asked.


"So, was it Lady Agnes who chose all the items you purchased?"


"The Marquis introduced me to a reputable trading company, and I chose the items they recommended from there."


"That can't be. I also deal with the Brook Trading Company. Gallus may be loyal, but he has no eye for artistry."


That was only natural.


She couldn't afford to waste the money Amy had earned.


She was grateful that someone had noticed the time she'd spent poring over thick catalogs, comparing countless items that looked good.


"Lady Chabot."


The Countess called her in a low voice.


"Don't pry too much into the lady's affairs. It's their first meeting."


"Oh my, you're right. I was just so curious that I got carried away..."


"Still, it seems the money Lady Amy brought from the Crack isn't enough. She's being that frugal with her budget."


Agnes paused for a moment, staring at the Countess who had just spoken.


Her expression was gentle.


But somehow, her eyes seemed to slant coldly.


It was a familiar face.


'When was it?'


It was the expression she made when she wasn't pleased with the twins' mischievous behavior and asked Agnes to take better care of them.


Whenever something didn't sit right with her, that was the face she made.


For reasons she couldn't quite grasp, Agnes replied calmly.


"Regardless of the amount, it's only natural. After all, it was earned by my six-year-old sister, who went through danger to get it."


"Still, you might have bought some new clothes. If you like, I could introduce you to a dressmaker."


Agnes glanced down at her own dress.


Compared to the other ladies, it had fewer decorations and was plainer.


Still, compared to when she was a governess, the fabric was better and the colors brighter.


She didn't need new clothes.


"Thank you, my lady, but I'm fine. To elegant ladies like yourselves, it may look shabby, but as you've heard, I was on the verge of ruin and only managed to survive thanks to your kindness. I intend not to forget the past and to save as much as I can."


"But then, won't you soon be inheriting the Laverose territory?"


"Your late mother was also very elegant, you know."


Lady Solène and Lady Ronette added.


Since they were all of her mother's generation, they might have known her from her youth.


Agnes remembered her mother wearing beautiful dresses and occasionally visiting the Waldemar estate.


She was about to offer another humble reply, but she hesitated.


'The atmosphere has changed.'


Lady Chabot, who had been eagerly asking questions, had fallen silent, only sipping her tea with her eyes lowered.


Lady Amellia's gaze, once full of curiosity, now carried a hint of disdain.


'It started when the Countess spoke.'


Because the Countess had made a remark that pointed out Agnes's flaws, everyone began to distance themselves from her.


'They were being friendly because they thought I was close to the Countess.'


But she couldn't stay silent when it came to her mother.


She was no longer in the days when she'd worry about losing her governess position if the Countess was displeased.


"It's alright, my lady. If my mother were here, she wouldn't scold me for wearing plain clothes."


Agnes smiled as she looked around at the others.


"I'm sure she would be proud of me. That's the kind of person she was."


More than anything, she was able to sit here because of Amy.


The precious child her mother had protected even at the cost of her own life.


A child barely six years old had brought back a fortune to help Agnes.


And she had survived falling into a Crack and returned alive.


'Mother would have felt both sorry for Amy and immensely proud.'


A dull ache spread through her heart.


When Amy returned, she would hold her tightly—as much as their mother couldn't.


She was certain her mother would have wanted that.


Agnes sipped her tea to moisten her throat, then faced the Countess across from her.


Her expression was unreadable.


Indifferent, like a cold night wind.


Come to think of it, she'd always been like that.


Whether toward her precious children, toward Agnes, or toward the servants.


Like an actress playing her assigned role.


She had never shown the warmth or love that Agnes's mother had shown to her children.


'That's why the children clung to me so desperately.'


Because no matter how much trouble they caused, she had done her best to care for and cherish them.


"But I believe the reason I can be here today is entirely thanks to your help, my lady."


Still, she couldn't deny the help the Countess had given her.


She had made it possible for Agnes to endure from a fifteen-year-old girl to a twenty-year-old adult.


"So I am truly grateful."


Agnes gave a brief bow to the Countess, then rose from her seat.


"If you don't mind, may I take my leave first? I rushed here to thank you in person, and I think the fatigue has caught up with me."


The Countess immediately nodded.


"Of course, my lady. Go and rest. We can attend to business tomorrow."


"Thank you, my lady."


After bowing once more, Agnes stepped out of the drawing room.


Walking down the corridor, she recalled Cesenor's words.


His speculation that there was no way they would help her or the Laverose family without reason.


'He was right. She's not even warm to her own children—it's strange that she would help someone with no connection to her.'


Out of gratitude to the Countess, and because she was in a position of receiving help, she'd never dared to suspect her motives.


'Perhaps their goal was our territory.'


She recalled Leonard's words.


The maids had said the Laverose territory would become Waldemar's.


'But even if they'd left it alone, it would have naturally become Waldemar's anyway.'


Comments