Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 115
Chapter 115
Crown Prince Pereus—child of the legitimate Empress, but with a rotten personality.
Crown Prince Edelros—child of the Royal Consort, a mistress, but raised to be kind.
'It's obvious without even looking.'
This tea party was likely meant to restore the Crown Prince's pride after his major failure in the Deste Territory.
Crown Prince Edelros was summoned as a scapegoat.
I was already worried about what humiliation he'd suffer there.
'Whoever came up with this idea is truly malicious.'
With such crazy adults around him, it's no wonder the Crown Prince grew up the way he did.
'Or maybe he suggested it himself?'
After all, the Crown Prince had even tried to kill his own grandmother. It's possible the adults just follow his lead without a word.
"Hebenia."
Just then, Uncle Modi called me.
"Wouldn't it be dangerous if the Crown Prince is attending?"
"I agree with Modi."
Ian joined in.
"Even if you change your appearance with a magical tool, there's a good chance you'll be caught. Looking back, we were really lucky in the Deste Territory."
"Besides, the Crown Prince showed interest in you."
"More precisely, he showed interest in 'Beni.'"
But that interest disappeared as soon as bigger problems arose.
'She was just a useful pawn.'
Already, at such a young age.
All I could do was sigh.
My plan to enjoy being a noble lady, like trying out a job at Ki... something, failed before it even began.
'But what can I do? I have to stop that prince who was happy I was alive from being humiliated for nothing.'
Even if I don't remember, we were friends since childhood.
I wasn't too worried about the children's side.
'The real problem is the adults.'
I understood that they were holding the tea party at the ruins to spite the temple. It was like petty, childish vandalism—disgusting.
'What are they trying to do by gathering the local dignitaries?'
The south was already full of resentment toward the imperial family because of the herb issue.
I could roughly guess the answer from Chairman Kommer's visit a few hours later.
"The trading port?"
"Yes."
But why was this grandfather speaking formally to me?
'I'm pretty sure he used casual speech at first.'
Still, I didn't mind, so I let it slide.
"They're proposing an expansion project for the port docks."
"That sounds like a good thing."
More imports and exports would be economically beneficial.
But Chairman Kommer shook his head and explained why it was a dangerous proposal.
First.
"T'mari is famous for tourism and leisure. If the port grows too large, it will disrupt those industries."
"Ah..."
I recalled the history of the T'mari Territory.
'They even used a fake divorce.'
Thanks to that, T'mari became famous for tourism, while Int'mari developed into an industrial complex.
It was a balanced development that cleverly utilized the region's strengths.
Second.
"Expanding docking facilities doesn't guarantee profit. Failure is more likely, and the maintenance costs alone would be enormous."
"We're not completely opposed to it."
Ceblis said.
"We just want to proceed systematically and carefully."
But the Count Reten family, which proposed the expansion, seemed to want it done as quickly as possible.
'Hmm, this is complicated.'
Honestly, to my ears, it just sounded like a power struggle.
'But the Emperor's side must have a purpose in making such claims.'
And a very dirty one at that.
'Arun and Kanna seem to have sided with them.'
If it were someone else's family, I'd have found it amusing, but since it involves my acquaintance's family, it bothered me.
But since it was a headache-inducing issue, I quickly stopped thinking about it.
The adults would know better than me about such professional matters, so I decided not to offer my opinion.
'Even if it fails, so what?'
We just need to grow the Ixel Trading Company!
I asked Chairman Kommer.
"I have a question, just out of curiosity."
"Yes."
"Weren't you arguing loudly with Mr. Ceblis at the trading company building yesterday?"
"You saw an embarrassing sight. We were arguing about the child to bring to the tea party."
"I said I'd bring one of the orphanage children in a hurry and got scolded. I deserved it, though."
"I suppose so."
It wasn't as big a deal as I'd thought.
As I nodded without much thought, a sudden question struck me.
"Oh, this is really just my personal curiosity."
I asked.
"The imperial family still hasn't gotten their hands on the Clavis assets, have they?"
"Ah, that?"
"Why is that?"
"Well, because the bank is owned by the Clavis."
"Pardon?"
Oh my, this is like candy to my ears!
It was so sweet I felt my mind melting.
"Grandfather, your lips look like plump strawberries. Could you whisper that in my ear just one more time?"
"Oh dear, this is a real problem..."
Verity quickly grabbed my hand. I squeezed it back, took a deep breath, and calmed my excitement.
"So, does that mean all the financial institutions in this country are mine?"
"Not exactly."
According to Chairman Kommer.
"The predecessor of the Empire's largest central bank was originally the Clavis's vault."
Moreover, the various financial networks and security magic currently used by banks across the Empire were also developed by the Clavis and the Magical Engineering Academy.
'...Wait.'
The Magical Engineering Academy?
"Did you just say the Magical Engineering Academy?"
"Yes. The Clavis and the academy have always been famously close. The academy's founding itself was all done by the Clavis."
Good heavens.
"From long-distance deposit and withdrawal magic to various financial spells and tools—they developed all of it. We've also benefited greatly from them."
So that's why.
'That's why the Emperor wanted to get his hands on the Magical Engineering Academy!'
To get his hands on the Clavis's assets!
'Wow, you crazy family!'
How many moves ahead did they plan before their destruction?!
'You should have used that effort to crush the Emperor!'
Of course, I know they fled to stop the Emperor from creating possessors!
Still, I was relieved. Thanks to that, the remaining subsidiaries were still operating properly.
'My inheritance is intact too.'
But I can't use it.
'The moment I do, I'll be advertising my location to the Emperor.'
I'm the richest daughter in the Empire.
They say I was raised like a jewel.
'And I went through all this hardship...'
I wish my tears would just blur my vision.
"Kill the Emperor, for fuck's sake."
All that came out of the princess's mouth were curses.
---
But what can I do?
'I'll at least enjoy the life of a noble lady at the tea party, even if just a taste.'
So, with Chairman Kommer's full support, I began preparing for the tea party.
"This is the latest summer dress fashion."
"I'll take all of these, except for these and that one!"
The large quantity of clothes I bought was immediately shipped to Ixelium Village.
"Aunt Nema!"
Since a high-class noble lady should only wear custom-made clothes, I handed the clothes to Aunt Nema, my personal tailor, and asked.
"These are the latest summer dress fashions. Can you make me something to wear within three days, using these as reference?"
"Of course. So this is what's in fashion these days."
"Village chief, you're here? What are all these clothes?"
"Tape, look at this. This is apparently what's trendy in the south right now."
To avoid disturbing the focused sisters, I quietly left the shop.
Back in Int'mari Territory, I discussed hair and eye colors for the magical tool with Ian and Verity.
"We've already done wheat and silver, so this time, maybe blonde..."
"That would be the same as the Crown Prince's. How about a brown that doesn't stand out?"
"But my Lady's original hair is chestnut, so it might expose her as a Clavis."
"What about navy blue, like my mother's?"
"The Clavis young mistress is famous—some noblewomen might recognize it."
"Ugh. Why do we have to live like fugitives?"
"Well, we are still prisoners who haven't cleared our names..."
The fierce debate continued right up until the day of the tea party.
On the day itself.
Ceblis looked at me, my appearance altered by the magical tool, and smiled warmly.
"Pink really is the best."
I wore a white summer dress with light blue ribbons and collar accents, made by the Nema and Tape sisters.
My pink hair was tied in two braids, making the back of my neck hot.
'I want to tie it up...'
But Ian opposed it, saying, "You wore pigtails a lot in Deste."
He seemed worried the Crown Prince might recognize me.
'If he does, I'll just knock him out and make him forget again.'
Just in case, I got three syringes of anesthetic from Verity.
"Mr. Ceblis, how do I look?"
"Cute."
"No, I mean—can you see my original appearance?"
"You look like a completely different person."
"Then it's fine."
Even I found my reflection in the mirror strange—I looked like someone else.
"Then I'm off!"
"Woof!"
"Woof woof!"
As I was about to get into the carriage, two clumps of white and black fur darted past me.
"Huh?"
Turning around, I saw Poppy and Chuchu already settled in the carriage.
"Hey, you two, get down...!"
"Just take them with you."
Verity stopped me from shooing them out.
"They might be helpful."
"Them?"
At my words, the dogs whimpered as if hurt and drooped their tails.
But the Crown Prince, who had visited the Clavis, would be at the tea party. If he recognized them, it would be a disaster.
But Verity smiled reassuringly.
---
'I brought them along, but...'
I looked with mixed feelings at the two Chihuahuas, their front paws on the window sill, watching the scenery outside.
'Oh well, what's done is done.'
If anything happens, I'll just use my ability to escape.
After taking a carriage to T'mari Territory, I met Chairman Kommer at the Octo Trading Company building, and we traveled to the Sanctuary of the Divine Beasts.
'Wow.'
The Sanctuary of the Divine Beasts was the site of an old temple surrounded by a vast forest.
The air was strangely clean and cool. The solemn atmosphere of the ruins felt especially heavy.
And yet, a private event was being held here.
'They'll definitely be punished by heaven.'
Just as I was thinking I should sprinkle a mix of coarse salt and chili powder on myself when I got home, Poppy and Chuchu—who had jumped out of the carriage—darted into the forest before I could stop them.
Comments
Post a Comment