Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 46
Chapter 46
At my greeting, the villagers cheered enthusiastically and applauded.
I nodded slowly with a satisfied face.
'Everyone's wearing the bloomers I gave them.'
I hope this becomes a trend.
"Today is the day we harvest the potatoes, corn, tomatoes, and peas we've cultivated together."
A look of deep emotion appeared on the villagers' faces as they listened.
For them, worn out by wrongful exile and unpaid labor, this upcoming harvest was truly the first fair reward they'd received in a long time.
"You've all worked hard, but I'd especially like to thank Uncle Aig, who led the farming and taught us so much."
Uncle Aig, the quietest of the villagers but stockier than Ian, the former knight, hung his head in embarrassment.
He was a former farmer who'd been framed for killing people with vegetables grown using illegal pesticides.
Knowing Uncle Aig felt uncomfortable with such attention, I quickly changed the subject.
"Verity will convert some of the harvested crops into cash. We'll discuss how to use the proceeds at the next general meeting."
Also, today's lunch would be prepared by Uncle Pofina using the harvested crops.
"And children, please follow the adults' instructions carefully. Otherwise, Poppy and Chuchu will come running and growl at you."
As soon as I said that, Poppy and Chuchu, standing like guardian deities below the podium, trembled and asserted their presence.
"Now then...!"
My pinky finger, holding the microphone, rose high.
"Let the harvest festival begin!"
---
"Oppa, are potatoes normally this big?"
Nula, covered in dirt, pointed at the freshly dug potato.
"The ones we always ate were tiny. Right?"
"Th-that's right..."
Pania, equally dirty, stared at the potato the size of his head, speechless.
"It's the soil. It's the soil."
The elderly herbalist, sitting under a shaded area for the elderly and watching the harvest, chuckled.
"I've never seen such a bountiful harvest."
"Grandfather, since there's so much, we can eat a lot, right?"
"I'm worried we won't be able to eat it all before it goes bad."
"Uncle Pofina said he's going to make us really tasty snacks with potatoes and corn, sprinkled with butter and sugar!"
Nula swallowed the drool already pooling in her mouth.
The elderly herbalist watched the young siblings heading back to harvest with a fond smile.
"Hmm..."
The herbalist folded his fan and lightly tapped the crops piled high in the basket beside him.
"Grandfather!"
The old man's eyes narrowed like a fox's.
'Just in time.'
Turning his head slightly, he saw the village chief—the master and ruler of this village—approaching with the Chihuahua Duke couple.
Beside her was a sturdy-looking man.
"The esteemed ones grace us with their presence."
"You should join us, Grandfather."
To the disappointed Hebenia, the herbalist gestured to his aged body with a gentle smile.
"There's nothing more shameful than an old man acting out of place."
"Oh, don't say that. Moving keeps you healthier. That's how you live longer."
"When you're old, you should go quickly. Living long only becomes a nuisance to the young. Hmm, my throat is parched..."
The elderly herbalist lifted the rustic cup beside him.
"Grandfather..."
Hebenia murmured sadly.
"Then why are you drinking that juice made with Dulcevia?"
"A toast to my wife in heaven."
Watch me until I break the world record for longevity.
Then he downed it in one gulp until the bottom of the cup was visible.
He didn't forget the courtesy of shaking the empty cup over his head.
"So, why has our village chief come here?"
"I wanted to ask you something."
Hebenia, who had been grimacing as if she'd eaten a persimmon, remembered her purpose.
"Grandfather, you know a lot about soil, right?"
"I've handled herbs for a long time, so I know a bit more than the average person."
Since herbs are heavily influenced by soil, their efficacy varies depending on where they're grown. So a herbalist had to have some knowledge.
At that, Hebenia and Aig exchanged glances.
"What do you think of this?"
Hebenia pointed to the crops piled in the basket beside the old man.
"Amazing."
"From a herbalist's perspective?"
"I'm thinking the soil must be the key."
A hint of interest flickered in the old man's drooping eyes, which had been playful.
"These crops shouldn't leave here. You shouldn't sell them. You know that too, village chief, which is why you're not asking the demon to turn them into money."
The first harvest was a bounty.
The problem was that it was too much of a bounty.
All the harvested crops had grown faster than expected and boasted a size and weight beyond expectation.
"The taste is fine. I already confirmed that myself."
Showing responsibility befitting a village chief, Hebenia had sampled each crop before harvest to check for safety.
"But crops that deviate from the standard..."
"I advised against selling them."
Aig, who had been silent, finally spoke up.
"Food products are strictly standardized."
Even a slight deviation from the standard invites suspicion and rejection. Food, after all, is handled with strict regulations.
"And so, another potential source of income for the village has vanished, but..."
Hebenia had no time to be sad.
"I found a new possibility from this experience."
"Oh, I'm curious."
"That's why I came to consult you."
Hebenia pointed at her newly discovered potential source of income.
Following her short finger, the elderly herbalist lowered his head and asked.
"Are you going to speculate in land? You little thing has no fear..."
"I'm going to sell the soil!"
At that, the herbalist snapped his head up.
Hebenia extended her index and middle fingers.
"Dulcevia and today's harvested vegetables."
Then she extended her ring finger.
"The Deste Temple contacted me. They said the crops in the fields where the soil was spread are growing like crazy."
Even the transplanted Dulcevia is growing vigorously.
These three facts are perfect proof that the primeval forest's soil is extraordinary.
"Originally, I was thinking of raising monsters and collecting their manure..."
"Vicious little thing."
The herbalist was taken aback.
Ignoring him, Hebenia continued.
"If the primeval forest's soil has this much power, wouldn't fertilizer made from it sell for a lot?"
"So you're asking me to handle the ratio adjustments and efficacy testing."
Realizing Hebenia's intention, the old man looked up at Aig.
"Along with this young man here."
"Ordinarily, this would be my duty, but since I'll be participating more in training going forward, I'm shamelessly asking for your help, elder."
The farmer's request was very polite.
All twelve of the village's original residents, except Hebenia, had been diagnosed with unique aptitudes, and among them, Aig, along with Ian and Nema, was one of only three physical-type aptitudes.
So recently, after discussion with Hebenia and Verity, he'd decided to participate more in training.
"No, no."
The elderly herbalist lightly slapped Aig's forearm.
"I'm the one who's grateful for the chance to join such interesting research."
Exilium Village was peaceful, but for the old man who'd run a busy herbalist shop for so long, it was a little dull.
Just then, a very interesting pastime had appeared, so he was delighted.
"So, when do you need it done by?"
"There's no deadline. But is it possible?"
Hebenia glanced at Aig.
"Uncle Aig said we need more precise research equipment."
Currently, the only research facilities in the village were those set up at Elva's house, and most were for herb-related experiments, so they were insufficient for soil research.
"I don't know much about it, but it should be easy to get in the Deste territory. It's famous for magical engineering—they have every kind of lab equipment."
"Or..."
Hebenia opened her mouth as if to make a different suggestion.
"...Never mind."
Then she smiled as if it was nothing at all.
---
"That demon Verity!"
The first harvest with the villagers.
The first money earned from farming.
"Pay me more! Two million liv for this quality and size—what is that!"
It was barely enough for a family of four to live on for a month.
"What more do you want me to pay? This is already generous."
"Is that wholesale? I'm asking if it's wholesale!"
"It's based on the highest wholesale auction price. You're getting that much because the yield was high. Sadly, that's how farming is for the most part."
"Wow, how do farmers endure such injustice? If I were them, I'd have already set the country on fire and killed the picky eaters!"
"You can just say you want to beat me up..."
The two million liv in my hand was quite heavy.
But the emptiness pressing down on my heart was even heavier.
'This was the village's first cooperative project...'
We'd started farming with the determination to reclaim our lost humanity after escaping the exile camp.
Even with clumsy skills, we'd worked hard to cultivate and tend it, which made the harvest all the more precious.
But it felt like we hadn't gotten the results we deserved, and I was just so disappointed.
Mmph, mmph.
Following the mournful sound, I looked down to see Poppy and Chuchu rubbing against my legs and wagging their tails.
"Hebenia, don't take it too hard."
"The fields were small to begin with. Two million liv is actually quite a lot."
"Here, some buttered baked potatoes made by Brother Pofina! They're delicious!"
"Try some boiled corn—it's sweet."
The villagers were busy comforting me too.
'...Right. Let's not think negatively.'
What mattered was that our efforts had borne fruit.
'Not everything goes the way I want.'
Lately, I'd been living life too easily and pleasantly, and I'd forgotten this important rule.
'Phew, calm down. Internal peace through imagining the Emperor and the Chief Chamberlain sitting side by side and getting their legs twisted if they don't kiss...'
Just as I was restoring my mental peace.
"Wow! Wow!"
A startled scream came from somewhere.
I turned to see Libby there.
She had been helping Uncle Pofina with the cooking, but she'd thrown down her utensils and was stomping her feet, showing off the bright yellow flame floating above her palm.
"I, I did it!"
Libby had succeeded in performing magic.
Comments
Post a Comment