Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 59
Chapter 59
---
It was the dead of night when we arrived at Trans Station, the transfer point.
Stepping off the train, the group moved to the next platform.
Verity wiped the drool from Hebenia's mouth as she slept soundly on Ian's back.
"She's sleeping well. No sign of waking."
"She sleeps so deeply that she wouldn't even notice if someone carried her. It was the same in the exile camp."
"Maybe she's in a growth spurt. She's noticeably taller."
A train was already waiting on the platform.
Technicians were inspecting the car body for the early morning run, and the engineers and station attendants were seriously discussing something.
They were resting in a small waiting room on the platform.
Ian laid the sleeping Hebenia down so her head rested on his lap.
"Hmm..."
As if uncomfortable, Hebenia frowned, then smacked her lips.
"Uncle Pofina, smack, give me some bread..."
"We've found the cause of the belly fat."
Verity, sitting across from him, let out a wry laugh.
"Seeing her sleep like this even in this situation is a bit reassuring."
"Lord Verity."
Ian thought this was the right time, now that Hebenia was asleep.
Verity, who had been taking pictures of the sleeping Hebenia, looked up.
"What is a 'trial'?"
"That's something my Lady should ask."
Just then, a station attendant approached and told them they could board.
"Let's get on first."
Once on the train, the group quickly closed the door and drew the curtains.
Since it was an early morning run, the passengers prepared for sleep as soon as they sat in their assigned seats.
Thanks to that, the train quickly grew quiet.
"Then may I ask another question?"
"Of course."
"Do you remember when I mentioned that I'd met the Clavis family head before?"
"Yes, I remember..."
Just then, Nema cut in with surprise.
"You too, Ian?"
"Me too? You mean, you too, Auntie?"
"Actually, a few days ago, a memory suddenly came back to me..."
"You too, Auntie...!"
Ian almost raised his voice, but quickly stopped. Nema also pressed her lips shut.
Fortunately, Hebenia showed no signs of waking.
Her regular breathing and steady rise and fall of her chest showed she was in a deep sleep.
Still, just in case, the two lowered their voices.
"You met the Clavis family head too, Auntie?"
"Mine was the young mistress."
"The young mistress..."
Ian looked down at Hebenia again. Nema nodded slowly.
"Hebenia's biological mother."
"When did you meet her?"
"About four years ago, before I was framed..."
Nema carefully recalled the time.
"It came back to me while I was talking to Hebenia. But I couldn't bring myself to tell her..."
It felt cruel to talk about her family to a child who had been sent to exile by implication because of them.
"The young mistress visited the tailor shop where I worked. I was shocked, since it was a place usually frequented by lower-ranking nobles."
Not a place for a great noble like the Clavis.
'Though of course, the Clavis aren't nobles.'
The rumor that they gave their title to their pet dog was proven true by the ducal certificate inherited by Poppy and Chuchu.
Anyway.
"...It seemed like she came looking for me."
"Looking for you?"
"Is that too self-centered? It might just be my imagination, but..."
"No, Auntie."
Ian was certain.
'It's the same for me.'
The Clavis came looking for us on purpose.
'The herbalist elder said he'd met the Clavis family head too.'
At this point, it's not a coincidence.
The cool early summer night air felt as cold as ice. Ian let out a slow breath, trying to hide his trembling.
'Hebenia's guess might be right.'
If so, did the Clavis know who would be sent to the exile camp?
Why did they meet us separately?
What did they talk about?
"What did you talk about?"
"Actually, I don't remember that."
"......"
"Meeting her is clear. It's as vivid as if it happened yesterday."
In his memory, the Clavis young mistress looked exactly like Hebenia. If Hebenia grew up like this, she'd probably look just like her.
Beautiful and intelligent.
A presence that felt both friendly and awe-inspiring.
Her face as she looked at him and moved her lips was vivid.
"But I can't remember what we talked about."
"......"
"Is it because it's such an old memory?"
"No."
Ian firmly denied it.
And said with conviction.
"You'll remember it eventually. I did too."
"By any chance, did the Clavis..."
"I think they knew we would come to the exile camp."
"Good heavens...!"
Nema squeezed her eyes shut.
Then she snapped them open.
"This should be kept..."
"From Hebenia."
"Right?"
Hebenia, who had lost her memories, now saw the village and its residents as her family.
For a child who didn't care about her own well-being for their sake, this truth would be a great wound.
Ian also asked Verity.
"Lord Verity, did you hear what we were just talking about?"
"......"
"L-Lord Verity...?"
Ian had thought Verity might have an answer. He was the one who knew the Clavis best among them.
But.
"...Uh, huh? Oh my, what is this."
Verity was sweating more than the sleeping Hebenia and looked flustered.
Startled, Ian and Nema didn't dare speak further.
"You two also met the Clavis?"
Ian and Nema nodded.
"Ah, aargh...!"
Verity clenched and unclenched his fists in the air repeatedly, like a restaurant owner who'd been swindled.
Then he rubbed his face with both hands.
"These crazy Clavis!"
Is there no end to this!
Even so, careful not to wake the sleeping Hebenia, the demon butler screamed in a whisper.
'So even demons can't handle the Clavis.'
He didn't know what was going on, but Ian was genuinely glad he wasn't an enemy of the Clavis.
"Um..."
Nema muttered with a pale face.
"J-just now, I remembered something..."
"Auntie?"
"What about the Antema Research Lab...?"
"......"
"I, I came here trusting only Lord Verity..."
"Ah."
Now even Ian's face began to lose color.
---
After a good night's sleep, I found myself already on the train.
I'd worried about not being able to sleep well due to the uncomfortable bed, but I'd slept so soundly that there was dried drool at the corner of my mouth.
'That's a bit embarrassing.'
Aunt Nema wiped my face thoroughly with a wet towel.
"I can do it myself..."
"Let Auntie do it today. Look at those soft cheeks."
"Hehe..."
After I had my hair tied up, Verity pulled out some food from his subspace pocket.
We had the round bread Aunt Daliss had made with butter and jam, along with milk.
Just as I took a big bite of the bread.
"My Lady."
Verity narrowed his eyes in warning.
"Stop getting snacks from Uncle Pofina."
"Gasp."
How did he know?
I reflexively swallowed the food in my mouth. I quickly drank some milk to ease the choking sensation.
"Pwah, how did you...!"
"You were even naming your cravings in your sleep."
"Oh no, my cute sleep-talking habit!"
"As I keep saying, childhood fatty liver is dangerous. Be careful."
"Even a dog doesn't get bothered when eating."
Way to ruin my appetite.
In the end, I only had two pieces of this delicious bread.
"That seems like enough."
"This oppa underestimates me. I'm holding back even though I could eat more."
Ian chuckled and wiped the crumbs from my mouth.
"Verity, aren't you eating?"
"I don't have an appetite."
"You're being punished for stealing mine."
I said this, but Verity's complexion was poor, and I felt worried. He seemed to have aged forty-two years overnight.
"Are you really sick?"
"I'm just irritated and angry..."
"Did you see the Clavis family head in a dream and get teased for being ugly?"
"Ugh...!"
At the mention of the Clavis family head, Verity clutched his upper abdomen and banged his head against the window frame.
"Whoa, really?"
I feel bad.
I don't remember, but he's still family, so I felt a sense of guilt.
'...But isn't that a bit too much?'
I felt a little choked up too, since it's family.
But as an educated person, I set aside my emotions and comforted Verity.
"They say seeing a dead person in a dream brings good luck. Try buying a lottery ticket—you might win first prize. But since I told you to buy it, promise to give me a 10% cut."
"Hebenia, just..."
"Leave Lord Verity alone for now."
Ian and Aunt Nema stopped me.
'Now that I look at them, their complexions aren't great either.'
They must have had an uncomfortable sleep.
In the end, Verity didn't touch his breakfast and just sniffled, muttering about the damn Clavis and how pitiful our Lady was.
'What, did he dream about me being abused?'
I subtly pulled Verity's leftover bread toward me and nibbled on it.
'It's because I'm growing, growing.'
I patted my plump belly.
"Verity."
"Why..."
"When we get to Antema Station, explain to me what a 'trial' is."
---
The train ran for another three hours before arriving at Antema.
"It's hot..."
The scorching summer sun beat down on our heads. True to its reputation as an industrial city, the air was also acrid.
Antema Square had many buildings in dark, blue-toned colors.
The smell of industrial oil permeated the air, and there were many people dressed in work uniforms.
Tall chimneys continuously spewing gray smoke, even vehicles that looked like cars.
It was a place where machinery and technology were more integrated than magic.
'Our village really was a great place to live.'
The cool shade provided by lush greenery and clean air.
Even the gloomy primeval forest, which blocked out all sunlight, felt nostalgic.
We entered the most expensive-looking lodging.
"What name should I put?"
"Angrus."
While Ian was making the reservation, Verity whispered in a small voice.
"Angrus is one of the Clavis-owned pseudonyms. It's a secret alias unknown to the public, so feel free to use it when needed."
"Angrus..."
Is it rich?
The rooms Ian received were two luxury suites on the highest floor.
But we immediately gathered in one room.
Click—.
It had become a habit to close off the space and put up a barrier whenever we were in an unfamiliar place.
"Before we plan the infiltration of the research lab."
Verity said.
"I'll also explain what a 'trial' is and why I can't help you."
Comments
Post a Comment