Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 61
Chapter 61
---
When we returned to the lodging, Verity was crouched pitifully in front of the room door.
When I looked at him as if to ask why, he readily explained.
"Aunt Nema cried herself to sleep. I felt bad about a dark man staying beside a sleeping lady, so I came out."
"There's another room. You could have waited there."
"I don't have the key..."
"Ah."
Ian pulled out the key to the other room from his pocket.
While Ian opened the other room, I cautiously asked Verity.
"Did something happen?"
"Nothing much."
My mind kept feeling uneasy because Aunt Nema had cried, but Verity was overly calm.
"She'll be fine after a good night's sleep."
"Are you being too casual about this? If I'd known, I wouldn't have brought her..."
"Aunt Nema isn't as weak as you think."
I opened my eyes wide, as if struck in a vulnerable spot.
"She endured being framed and sent into exile. Her mental strength has already been proven by that."
Verity pointed at Ian as if asking if he agreed.
Caught off guard, Ian let out a stupid-sounding "Y-yes..."
Verity shrugged, as if to say "see?"
"Comforting her out of pity and sympathizing by saying 'it's okay' can actually be counterproductive. In times like this, it's better to just give her time and wait."
"......"
Instead of answering, I fidgeted with my clasped fingers.
'That's true...'
When I'd talked with her back in the village, instead of comforting her with empty words, I'd shown her solidarity by saying we were the same.
"Did you talk to her about something?"
"I did."
"......"
"That's why I said she'd be fine."
"...Okay."
If Verity was saying that much.
'Let's stop doubting.'
Rather than my meddling worries, I decided to trust Aunt Nema, who had come this far, and Verity, who trusted her.
Ian seemed to feel the same way, as he no longer wore a worried expression.
Verity looked at us with pride and nodded.
"Now, let's plan the destruction of the research lab."
Since he couldn't accompany us, Verity spoke resolutely, saying he'd help as much as he could from here.
Ian spread out the map of the Antema Territory he'd bought in the square.
"The lab that was completely destroyed by fire is said to be here."
"It's quite far out on the outskirts of the territory."
"About a thirty-minute drive by car."
"Well, we can just steal a car, so movement isn't a problem..."
Verity rubbed his chin as he pondered his words.
"My Lady."
"Yes?"
"You are strong."
I tilted my head at the sudden compliment.
"Well, thanks..."
"But you can't kill people."
"......"
I froze.
"Honestly, I'm more worried about you than Aunt Nema. At least she won't hesitate when her madness takes over..."
You will hesitate.
I finished the words Verity couldn't bring himself to say.
It wasn't a surprise. I'd been keeping that issue in mind all along.
I was worried that my half-hearted resolve might hold me and others back.
'Now I see I wasn't in a position to worry about Aunt Nema.'
Verity asked bluntly.
"Can you kill a person?"
"......"
"Not pretending you can is already a good mindset. But it's best to be prepared."
The demon reminded me of the monster hunt I'd done in the primeval forest.
"Do you remember how you killed them back then?"
"I closed their nose, mouth, and throat to suffocate them."
Just one.
And even that was barely successful with Verity's help.
"Do you remember the feeling from that day?"
"Yeah."
"I didn't expect to have to say this so soon, and I don't want to, but don't forget it. So you can use that technique in any situation."
"...Yes."
I nodded.
"Lord Verity, that's..."
Just then, Ian interjected.
But I shook my head and stopped him.
"Oppa, no."
"Hebenia, you're only seven..."
"It's something I'll have to face anyway. Don't you think so, oppa?"
"......"
Ian frowned and pressed his lips shut.
His face, twisted with emotion, was filled with pity for me and anger at himself for not being able to refute me.
"The Emperor tried to kill us, and that attempt will continue. Not just for us, but for others too. In fact, there are already victims."
The employees of the Deste mansion.
The people suffering from the herb shortage.
The young Crown Prince who spent all night in the temple.
Even the unknown young Crown Princess, who was used as the Emperor's excuse.
"I'm not kind enough to talk about morality and conscience when my own life is at stake."
As I spoke, my resolve hardened.
"Verity."
I said.
"I can kill people."
---
Before departing for the Antema Research Lab.
I received a crash course from Verity in simple self-defense and the location of human vital points.
Ian, though displeased, stayed by my side until the end.
"Go to sleep. I'll wake you at night."
I lay down on the bed as Ian told me.
"Oppa, are you very angry?"
"I'm not angry at you."
Ian gently lowered the blanket I'd pulled up to my neck, leaving only my shoulders covered.
"It's just that I can't shake the thought that you've really been through a lot, Hebenia."
"I'm on the lucky side, eating well and living well."
"There's no kid with a more twisted fate than you."
"Don't say that. Words have power."
Even though I'd resolved to kill people, I still wasn't sure if I could actually do it.
'I'll definitely hesitate.'
That moment would be the most important turning point in my life.
'...Sigh, my fate is to be having such gloomy thoughts in a luxury hotel.'
Not bad, though.
Just then, Ian gently stroked my forehead.
"I know what kind of resolve you made."
"Yeah..."
I also know what you're worried about.
Because we understood each other, we didn't need to say more.
And so I fell into a long nap.
When I woke up, it was already dark outside.
'Eight in the evening...'
After checking my watch, I turned to look beside me and all traces of sleepiness vanished.
"Aunt Nema!"
"Did you sleep well?"
"Hmph, Auntieeee!"
I quickly hugged her tightly.
Aunt Nema looked much more stable than she had during the day.
But instead of asking if she could come to the lab with us...
"I'm hungry!"
I said that first, shamelessly.
Aunt Nema reached out and stroked my cheek.
"Ian is in the next room with Verity. They're about to leave. I was asked to wake you."
"I woke up just in time."
As I got up and stretched, Aunt Nema pointed to the food laid out on the table.
"Lord Verity prepared dinner."
"......"
I was speechless.
A bowl with boiled eggs and plain yogurt.
"...Our dogs at home eat more than this."
I found out later that on that day, Poppy and Chuchu had been feasting on Uncle Pofina's special sous-vide pork loin, sugar-free blueberry sauce, and roasted vegetables.
Seeing the food, I was flustered, and Aunt Nema glanced at the next room.
"Lord Verity said eating too much would upset your stomach."
"My stomach is already upset from not eating! It's upset from being so annoyed!"
What kind of pathetic situation is this before a big operation?
Sniffling, I popped a boiled egg into my mouth. Without salt, it was hard to swallow.
Even the yogurt was unsweetened.
Just then, the damn demon opened the door and appeared.
"My Lady, you're up just in time..."
"You child abuser!"
At the terrible curse, the demon's mouth fell open in shock.
"No matter how fat my belly is, this is too much! Are you trying to starve a child? At least give me a sandwich..."
"I brought a chocolate bar..."
Verity muttered weakly and pulled a finger-sized chocolate bar from his pocket.
"Before battle, it's customary to eat a little bit of high-calorie food. I was going to give it to you after you had your protein..."
I quickly bowed my head.
"I didn't know your deeper intentions. I'm truly sorry..."
---
The Antema Research Lab was a thirty-minute drive from the territory.
So we stole a car.
"This is a real crime...!"
Ian, pale, kept glancing back nervously.
I lightly patted Ian's back.
"Oppa, this is a small sacrifice for the greater good."
"Don't sugarcoat theft like that."
"Anyway, once you and Ian raise hell at the lab, the car theft will be the least of your problems."
Verity said, gripping the steering wheel.
"Besides, we have a conscience—we left the fare at the spot. Maybe the owner wanted a new car anyway."
"Oppa, if you're that worried, just consider it payment for your wrongful exile."
"What kind of logic is that?"
"Prepaid prison time."
"Hahaha! My Lady's ideas are always so entertaining!"
The thirty minutes passed quickly as we bickered and made Ian's blood boil.
When we arrived, the Antema Research Lab was a ruin, a skeleton of charred framework left standing.
Even though the fire had happened quite a while ago, the ground was still black, and not a single blade of grass grew nearby.
Ian knelt down and touched the black soil with his hands.
Then he lightly sniffed it.
"...It smells rotten."
At that, our faces hardened as if we'd made a pact.
A small building stood alone in a corner.
It was a shabby wooden house, with a weather-beaten 'No Entry' sign lying beside the door.
"That seems to be the entrance."
Verity approached the building and reached out.
His hand bounced back as if hitting a ball.
"Verity!"
"It's alright."
Nursing his quickly reddened hand, Verity spoke.
"Since I was rejected, it seems that's indeed the entrance."
"......"
"My Lady."
At his call, I looked up and Verity grinned at me.
"When you come back, I'll let you eat lots of delicious food."
"...To be honest, you felt a little bad about earlier, didn't you?"
"From now on, I'll feed you plenty and make you move around a lot. Childhood fatty liver is dangerous, after all."
"That damn childhood fatty liver..."
The nagging I'd heard so often it formed calluses on my ears sounded different today—like genuine affection, given the situation.
Of course, I'd known it was affection all along.
But people are foolish—it takes a moment like this to truly see the sincerity of those around us.
Comments
Post a Comment