Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 70


Chapter 70


And.


'I hope it's just my imagination...'


For some reason.


Nema felt a strange familiarity with the robber leader before her.


But when she tried to recall where she'd seen her, she couldn't. She had a sharp eye, thanks to her experience working in a tailor shop, so she was certain.


'But why does she feel so familiar?'


This feeling was clearly different from when she'd remembered Hebenia's mother.


'Did I hear about her from someone?'


Just then, Ian's face caught her eye. Surprisingly, Ian was also looking at the robber leader with a curious expression.


The robber leader was a striking woman.


Her vibrant yellow hair and brown eyes looked intelligent, and though she was small, she didn't seem easily underestimated.


"You're strong, aren't you?"


The robber leader asked.


The four didn't answer readily. It wasn't modesty about their skills, but an unspoken question about why she'd chosen them as hostages knowing that.


The leader pointed her gun at one of them.


"Especially, our Inquisitor."


"......"


"The Holy King's direct unit—the Red Hounds."


"Am I your target?"


Olive had learned one fact from their earlier conversation.


'She knows about Inquisitors.'


Though Inquisitors aren't a secret military organization, they don't engage in much public activity, so ordinary people are often unaware of them. Their uniforms also aren't that different from those of holy knights.


'But she didn't confuse me with a holy knight. That means...'


The robber leader had received enough education to distinguish between them.


Having knowledge that's useless in everyday life meant she had the leisure and money to learn such things.


'A noble? Or a wealthy merchant?'


Why would such a person become a robber?


"...What do you want?"


"I'll be direct. I want information."


The robber leader said.


"The annual consecration ceremony for the imperial family is handled by the central headquarters. Give me all the information—the schedule, the names of those in charge, everything."


"Wow."


Verity couldn't help but blurt out.


"Are you planning a revolution?"


"Habi would have loved to hear that..."


Ian's eyes grew moist as he muttered regretfully.


"Such is my fate..."


It was sad that such a tumultuous life had become routine.


---


On the second day since Hebenia and her group had left for Antema.


"It's so empty without her."


"There's a saying that empty spaces are more noticeable than full ones."


Libby was handling village affairs with Modi.


They gathered the villagers' opinions on how to manage the new neighborhood facilities and organized them.


"The gym is especially popular. Have you been, Uncle Modi?"


"I go every afternoon to exercise."


Modi flexed his arm, showing off the firm muscles he'd built.


Ooh, Libby couldn't help but admire.


"I checked out the underground pool—it was amazing, like being underwater. Do nobles all play in places like that?"


"By the way..."


Modi's hand, writing documents, slowed.


His face showed concern.


"As expected."


He finally spoke.


"We have too few residents."


"Hmm."


Libby felt the same problem.


Exilium Village was prosperous. A blessing thanks to Village Chief Hebenia's kindness.


The fact that this was possible was largely because Hebenia managed fewer than twenty residents.


But that also caused problems.


For example, even if they tried to build an economic foundation, there weren't enough people to sustain it.


Whatever they tried to do within the village, they were too few to make anything happen.


"We can't accept just anyone as residents, given our village's nature."


"Should we raid a prison and bring prisoners here?"


"Libby, we were framed—we're not real criminals."


"You never know. There might be more people like us in prison."


At Libby's words, Modi tilted his head.


"Right? Do you think the Emperor would only do this to us? There must be other victims."


"That, makes sense."


They said that, but both had a more realistic method in mind than a prison raid.


Bringing in their families and acquaintances.


But they didn't voice it because, while it might be realistic, the chance of success was much lower than a prison raid.


'Prellia...'


Modi thought of his wife.


'I will love you forever, but will you really do the same? It's so painful to doubt your sincerity that sometimes I just want to forget.'


Buzz—.


Buzz—.


Just then, the watch on Modi's wrist vibrated.


"Uncle, your watch!"


"Huh? Ah, yes, how do I use this...!"


"There's an icon on the screen that looks like a phone. Just press it."


Modi pressed the phone icon on the screen, and a quiet sound came through.


"Uh..."


Modi called the caller's name in an awkward voice.


"Hebenia? Are you done with everything?"


---


"Since the topic came up."


The robber leader readily revealed.


"Let me briefly introduce myself. Actually, I was the heir to a baronial family. I was waiting for the day I'd marry my beloved husband, inherit the title, and govern a small but prosperous territory."


Brief, but the amount of information was considerable.


Still, it was enough to understand the robber leader's situation.


To summarize.


One day, the day before her wedding to the man she loved.


He was framed and thrown in prison.


Devastated, she took up arms and guns, vowing revenge, and fell into the path of revolution.


"Um..."


Ian cautiously raised his hand.


"In most cases like that, the other person is usually hiding their past crimes, isn't it?"


In other words, Ian was guessing she'd been caught by a scumbag.


But the robber leader shook her head.


"On the day of the incident, he was with me. But they dismissed my testimony, saying it was unreliable since I was his fiancée. I was so sad that I put a tear-soaked bullet into that investigator's thigh."


"Oh dear."


He deserved it.


Verity added a sympathetic interjection.


"My parents tried to arrange a strategic marriage with another man. I fired a gun at their feet and left."


"Uh, that's a bit much."


Verity shook his head disapprovingly.


"After that, I fled my territory. All I had left was a blank check, gold bars, and a lot of guns and ammunition that I'd stolen from home."


"You prepared well."


"In a nameless village, I held a modest wedding ceremony without him."


That day, she swore to God.


She would offer up the world that had taken her husband as a sacrifice.


Her bouquet would be made of their bones, and her and her husband's cozy honeymoon home would be built with bricks of their pain and despair.


"...Um, Inquisitor."


Ian asked Olive.


"Don't you think she's possessed by something?"


"Unfortunately, she's not. She's clearly alone. No demons or ghosts."


"So she's completely sane?"


"Demons don't do that kind of thing anyway."


Verity grumbled.


Olive fully understood the robber leader's feelings.


"Everyone goes crazy when they lose someone precious."


Because he had a similar experience.


"But do you know what's amazing?"


The robber leader said, as if she'd made a great discovery.


"I'm not the only one like this."


The blood-soaked bride, wandering aimlessly, was able to meet others who had lost family, lovers, and friends through similar experiences.


"So we banded together as comrades with the same cause and now live like this. By the way, this villa belonged to the old count my parents tried to marry me off to."


"Did you steal it?"


"No, I borrowed it."


"...Without asking?"


"I asked."


Apparently, the old count is now living with them at this villa.


"He's resting comfortably under the backyard garden. He's a very heavy sleeper—he won't wake up no matter how much you shake him."


Ian and Nema squeezed their eyes shut.


'She's really crazy!'


'There was someone crazier than me...!'


If Hebenia had been there, she would have definitely said.


"Wow, a revolution comrade!"


Yes, like that.


"...Huh?"


Ian wasn't the only one surprised.


Turning to the sound, they saw Hebenia, staggering with the support of one robber. Another robber was holding up the IV attached to her arm.


"Hebenia!"


"I'm alive."


Hebenia waved her hand, as if to say not to worry.


"You're seven—how can you say things like..."


Ian's voice caught, unable to finish.


Nema smiled with tears of relief, and Verity leaned back against the sofa, letting out a long sigh of pent-up worry.


"......"


Olive just quietly watched Hebenia.


Feeling his gaze, Hebenia met his eyes.


"And who is this ahjussi—no, oppa..."


"This is Inquisitor Olive."


"Oh."


Ah, uh.


Hebenia reacted slowly, like a broken machine.


'Libby unnie's little brother!'


Beside Olive, Ian and Nema were frantically shaking their heads. Catching on, Hebenia wisely kept her mouth shut.


"Leader, this child says she has something to tell you..."


"To me? She's full of energy for someone who's sick."


The leader gestured for her to speak.


"What does this cute little lady have to say to this criminal..."


"Hair yellow like a mimosa, a pretty face, a small build."


"Yeah, that's my description..."


"Prellia."


"......"


"Prellia Pudica."


Hebenia lifted her left wrist, which wore the watch, and grinned.


"I'll connect you to your husband."


Comments