Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 72
Chapter 72
Verity asked why I'd been so snippy with Olive, a stranger, from the start.
My voice, muffled by the pillow as I lay pouting on the bed, grumbled.
"It's like, if he knew his sister was alive, he should be grateful. Instead, he orders me to come to the central headquarters."
"A very Clavis-like reason."
"The central headquarters—that's the headquarters of the state religion, right?"
"Putting it that way makes it sound like a den of evil."
The state religion.
Literally, the only religion recognized by the state.
Curiously, this religion has no other name besides 'state religion.'
It's a bit unsettling that being monotheistic, they label all other religions as heresy, but anyway.
The central headquarters is the heart of the state religion.
'I heard it's in the west.'
Honestly, I'm willing to visit at least once.
But that's something I'll decide of my own will—I definitely don't want to go just because Olive ordered me to.
'By the way, how am I going to tell Libby unnie?'
Her only family is here, and that family hasn't even asked about his sister. I'm so annoyed I could punch him.
I asked Verity.
"Just out of curiosity, what kind of person is the Holy King?"
"An elderly man. About the same age as the Clavis family head..."
"He is the same age as the Clavis family head."
Olive strode over and stood firmly beside my bed.
He was so large and imposing that his long shadow fell over my bed the moment he arrived.
"The Clavis made many donations to the central headquarters. The Church deeply regrets what has happened to your family and to you."
"Ah, r-really?"
I'm grateful, then.
I awkwardly bowed my head.
Olive continued.
"His Holiness the Holy King received a revelation from an archangel."
"Oho."
That was my request to the angel.
"The archangel decreed that you should be saved."
"Hmm."
That was also my request.
'Only by receiving the angel's revelation could the temple gain the authority to criticize the abnormal herb distribution on my behalf. The imperial family would also have to consider public opinion.'
Since I'd orchestrated it all, I wasn't particularly moved.
So I listened half-heartedly, but then Olive suddenly knelt before me. He took my hand and reverently kissed it.
My eyes widened in surprise.
"I greet the saintess."
...What?
"One who has received the archangel's decree."
"Wow."
"My Lady, I'll step out for a moment."
I could hear Verity's cackling laughter even through the door.
That cheeky butler.
---
For some reason, Olive called me a saintess.
Honestly, I don't dislike it.
'It makes me feel pretty good.'
I almost felt like my existence was becoming very special.
But I'm a realistic village chief who knows her place, and I'm not one to let misunderstandings slide, so I quickly denied it.
"I'm not a saintess."
"The testimony of the rescued victims is clear. They said you created a barrier with a mysterious power. And you also suffered from an awakening fever."
"I'm telling you, I'm not. I've even been verified."
"By whom? You mentioned you have acquaintances at the Deste Temple—were they the ones?"
"Uh..."
I couldn't answer easily.
'Oh dear, it was a demon who verified me.'
Bleached Demon, seeing that I was the only one without an aptitude and feeling left out, gave me the title of 'Village Chief' as if tossing me a bone.
Since I couldn't explain properly, Olive said firmly.
"The Deste Temple likely has fine priests. However, considering your special nature, you need to be properly verified at the central headquarters."
"Excuse me, you know I'm a Clavis, right?"
"Yes. An attempted Crown Princess assassin."
"It's a frame-up, but, hmm, anyway, I'm a criminal. Is it proper for someone like me to go to the holy central headquarters?"
"From the moment you are decreed a saintess, you are a precious person the Church will protect and serve."
"Oh."
I'm a little swayed?
Am I finally getting the 'doting' treatment?
'By the way, he's as stubborn as Libby unnie.'
The problem is the brother has zero flexibility.
At this rate, even I, who was trying to be nice, was hitting my limit.
"Once your fever subsides, you can accompany me."
"If you're going to ignore what people say, why do you have ears?"
"......"
"What, can't a saintess talk like this?"
"The Clavis are, indeed, the Clavis..."
"Aish, my family's name is used as an insult everywhere."
Just then.
"My Lady."
Prellia knocked and entered.
"The other members have just arrived. I'd like to introduce them."
"Oh! Perfect timing!"
I eagerly welcomed them in.
Olive's gaze pierced my temple, but I ignored it. If I can ignore Ian's nagging, a sixteen-year-old brat is nothing.
"Sorry, but could you step aside, Inquisitor?"
"......"
"It's a private matter, so it's a bit uncomfortable."
After Olive left.
Three women entered.
Prellia introduced them.
"They're helping us prepare comfortably."
They were so-called undercover agents.
Living like ordinary housewives in town to gather information, or giving false testimony to create alibis when the gang committed crimes.
"......"
I glanced at Prellia with mixed feelings.
'Her husband is innocent...'
But his wife was a real criminal.
Still, her ability to gather and lead a group was admirable.
'And her information network is impressive too.'
She'd found the acquaintances of prisoners who had been wrongly exiled, like Modi, and secured this villa in such a secluded spot.
And she'd even set up undercover agents for smooth operations.
I guessed that her leadership skills came from her education as the heir to a baronial family.
'I want to learn that too.'
It was reassuring that such a fine criminal—no, talent—would become a new member of the village.
I greeted the undercover agents.
One was the wife of Uncle Makin, an acquaintance of Uncle Pex, and another was the wife of Uncle Pofina, my fellow overweight comrade.
'Wait, Uncle Pofina was married?'
That's more surprising.
"Nice to meet you. I'm..."
I was about to greet them while leaning comfortably on the bed, but I paused.
My gaze fixed on a woman with short hair.
The moment I saw her calm, red-haired appearance, someone I knew very well came to mind.
"...Aunt Tape?"
Of course, I also knew her name.
"You're Aunt Nema's younger sister, right?"
"H-how do you know that...!"
"As expected, you were here. Thank goodness..."
"You know my sister? Is she alive?"
"Yes! She's here with me..."
And.
"Hebenia. Everyone's finished preparing..."
Very conveniently, Aunt Nema walked in.
"...Tape?"
She murmured her younger sister's name, standing right before her, in disbelief.
---
"Sister!"
Tape rushed over and hugged Nema.
Stunned and frozen, Nema came to her senses and cupped her sister's face.
Her trembling hands brushed Tape's bangs.
A faint scar crossed her right forehead and eyebrow.
A wound she'd caused accidentally.
"Ah...!"
Nema tried to step back, as if to avoid the past she wanted to erase, but Tape quickly grabbed her fleeing sister.
"Do you know how long I've been looking for you? How worried I was?"
"Ta-Tape..."
"I finally found you, and they said you were in an exile camp! That you'd committed murder! And then two months ago, you suddenly died...!"
"......"
"You stupid sister! Idiot sister!"
Thump, thump.
Bowing her head, Tape pounded her sister's shoulder with her fists.
"Why do you keep avoiding me! Why do you run away!"
"Tape, I..."
"You were just trying to save me! And you did! It was an accident! Like breaking a rib during CPR!"
"......"
Tape sobbed and poured out everything that had happened.
"Mother and Father tried to marry me off to that bastard!"
"What?"
Nema's eyes widened.
'That bastard' was a childhood friend who had grown up in the same village and had always tormented the shy Nema.
But at some point, the target of his bullying shifted to Nema's younger sister, Tape. That was when Nema finally lost it and nearly killed him.
Tape had gotten hurt in the process, too.
"You don't know, do you, Sister? Father borrowed money from that bastard's family!"
"What? I left money behind when I ran away to pay that off..."
"Of course, Father spent it all on drink!"
"......"
"They said the rest of the debt would be paid off if I married into that family and carried on their line—even knowing how much we'd suffered at their hands!"
So Tape ran away in the middle of the night.
Rather than marry that madman, or stay in that crazy village, she'd rather be torn apart by a bear in the forest.
She escaped and happened to meet Prellia.
And she joined the revolution, nursing her hatred for the world.
"Sister, so..."
"......"
"Let's not be apart anymore. Okay?"
"Tape..."
"Let's live together. Let's start the revolution together!"
"...Yeah."
Nema, her face now streaked with tears, nodded, her chin trembling like a child's.
"Yeah, yeah...!"
"Sister...!"
"Tape...!"
"I missed you so much! Do you know how worried I was!"
"I'm sorry! I'm sorry!"
And so, the tearful reunion of the two sisters finally took place.
As the onlookers cheered and celebrated.
Only one person.
"......"
Hebenia didn't cry.
With a serious face far beyond her years, she pondered something, then quietly called Prellia, who was wiping her tears of emotion.
Then she asked something.
Prellia, sniffling, answered.
"Yes, that's right. We received help."
"Who was it?"
"The young lord."
Erebel Clavis.
He had secretly helped Prellia gather her band of robbers.
Comments
Post a Comment