Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 75
Chapter 75
Olive reported all the miracles Hebenia had shown him.
He spoke particularly logically about the spatial transportation he'd experienced himself, almost as if presenting at an academic conference.
And after his report.
"Ah."
The Holy King could barely utter a single syllable.
"Hmm, uh, hmm..."
"Your Holiness?"
"Oh, well, first of all, I'm glad Lady Clavis is safe."
Ahem, the Holy King cleared his throat.
"It's unjust for such a young child to bear the heavy burden of guilt by association. What crime did that little girl commit? If anyone's guilty, it's the damned men of that family..."
"Y-Your Holiness?"
"I'm just heartbroken. The hardships she must have endured bring tears to my eyes. Anyway, I've never liked that family from the start."
The Holy King took a deep breath and composed himself.
"Yes, so Lady Clavis is the saintess..."
"And there's one more thing I must report."
"What is it?"
"The twelve prisoners, including the saintess, who were imprisoned in the Exilium exile camp, are all presumed to be alive."
"Hmm, if Lady Clavis survived, it's certainly possible."
"Also, their families and acquaintances have recently joined them. They are presumed to have been transported into the primeval forest by the saintess's power."
"I see."
The Holy King nodded a few times and then pointed out coldly.
"However, currently there is no way to explore the primeval forest."
The forest still refused entry to outsiders.
Moreover, the only passage, which opened once a month on the night of the full moon, had now disappeared.
"All we can do is pray for their safety."
"There is a possibility I can make contact with them."
"Pardon?"
The Holy King was surprised once more.
Olive explained the method of contact he'd discovered.
"Lady Clavis seems to have close ties with the Deste Temple."
Olive pulled something from his pocket.
A white jade ring engraved with two winged wolves.
A ring symbolizing a Salvation Priest, which Hebenia had dropped from her pocket while suffering from the awakening fever—Olive had picked it up.
"I will persuade the Salvation Priest of the Deste Temple."
"Inquisitor Olive?"
"...I will request their cooperation with utmost courtesy."
---
After Olive left.
"...Your Holiness."
The door to the adjacent room opened, and a young man with gentle features cautiously entered.
Bronze skin and long, braided black hair.
His thick-lashed eyelids slowly lowered and then rose over his faded eyes.
The Holy King, seated at his desk, was calmly reading letters he'd taken from a drawer.
They were letters of greeting sent regularly by his adopted daughter, written on high-quality paper favored by nobles.
"She was alive."
His wrinkled hands carefully smoothed the letters.
As if cherishing his daughter's thoughtful heart.
"Habi is truly alive."
"I told you, didn't I?"
"But still, it seems this old heart won't rest until I see her with my own eyes."
"I understand."
The man handed a handkerchief to the Holy King.
The Holy King readily accepted it and wiped his moist eyes.
"I truly detest the Clavis."
"That doesn't sound like something Your Holiness should say."
"I know. But truly, I despise them. They have always taken my precious family away."
Priests who have dedicated themselves to the state religion cannot marry.
However, they could form families through adoption or sworn sibling relationships.
The Holy King had a sworn sibling from childhood.
And when he was old enough to fend for himself, he adopted and cared for children.
And for some reason, both his sister and his daughter fell for men from the Clavis family.
"But they lived happily. I know that. There was no better match for them."
But when his sister's son took away his own beloved daughter, he nearly threw off his priestly robes and started a fight.
'The Clavis, that treacherous den of demons.'
Even after experiencing such heartbreaking moments twice.
The Holy King had no choice but to surrender.
Because the Clavis held the ultimate weapon to disarm him.
"Habuji!"
"King Habuji!"
Hebenia Clavis.
The adorable princess, who resembled her mother so closely.
The moment the Holy King saw his granddaughter, he fell in love.
She used to call him 'King Grandfather' because of her difficulty with pronunciation, and the sight of the Clavis family head frowning at that was the best digestive aid.
His young granddaughter had captured the Holy King's heart.
Of course, the Holy King also loved his eldest grandson, Pertel, but as he grew into a typical Clavis man, he quickly detached his heart.
"By the way, the Deste Temple..."
"Is where the first angel descended."
The Holy King's information made the man's calm brow furrow.
"Oh my, the Holy King's secretary, frowning at the mere mention of an angel."
"Hmph."
The young man quickly composed his expression.
"I'm still not fond of angels."
"Haha, this recent descent was probably our princess's doing too."
"Most likely. Inquisitor Olive simply doesn't know the Clavis's true abilities and is mistaken."
"Well, it wouldn't be strange if our princess were a saintess."
The Holy King pulled a white jade ring from the drawer.
It was identical to the one Olive had shown him.
"...Then, it's time to act as promised."
He handed it to the man and made a 'wish.'
"Habi will also have a 'demon' by her side. Please deliver this to him."
"While keeping Your Holiness's existence hidden, of course?"
"I ask of you."
The demon in priestly robes smiled at the Holy King's polite request.
"Shall I also find out how your granddaughter is doing?"
"I do like you."
With those words, the demon vanished in an instant.
Having sent him off with practiced ease, the Holy King calmed his emotions once more and resumed his delayed work.
---
"Verity, did you know my mother was the Holy King's daughter?"
"Pardon?"
Ah, you didn't know.
Currently, I was inspecting the village alone with Verity.
The purpose was to see how the new residents were adapting and to gather opinions for the second round of supply distribution.
'Ah, as a woman who takes responsibility for residents' welfare and administration by personally hitting the ground running.'
I was the very model of an ideal politician.
'...Though I seem to be drifting further from becoming a magical girl.'
Anyway, since I was alone with Verity, I told him about my mother, whom I'd met in my dream.
When I told him I'd cried my heart out in my mother's arms, Verity gently patted my head.
"By the way, you said you met your brother before too?"
"Yes. Pertel Clavis."
"It seems that once your ability grows beyond a certain level, you meet your family in dreams. I wonder what method they used."
"Hehe, so now I have two left. Meeting my father and grandfather next?"
"You also have a grandmother."
"Gasp, really?"
I belatedly confirmed my family composition.
Grandparents, parents, brother.
And two dogs.
'A typical wealthy, large family.'
As I continued my thoughts, Verity brought up the topic I'd asked earlier—the Holy King, my mother's adoptive father.
"By the way, the priests of this state religion are forbidden from marrying..."
Then he let out an "Ah" and answered himself.
"She must have been his adopted daughter."
"He adopted her?"
"The current Holy King has quite a few children he's raised through adoption. Though it's called adoption, it's essentially a form of training, supporting and educating children."
"Wow, then I must have a lot of uncles and aunts."
"Still, the Holy King being your maternal grandfather is surprising."
Verity tilted his head in surprise.
"In a way, you really are a saintess. The Holy King's granddaughter."
"Ah, this is what I wanted!"
The life of a rich daughter, squandering power and wealth!
'...Hmm, but is the Holy King really a good person?'
He's not blood-related—can I trust him easily?
But my mother, whom I saw in my dream, advised me to seek out the Holy King when I'm in trouble.
'Hmm.'
However, now that I've developed a sense of danger, I've decided not to trust even my mother's advice blindly.
'You have to knock on a bridge until it breaks.'
Because only strong bridges survive.
A weak bridge is better off broken.
Besides, with a misery sister-con like Olive standing firm on the temple side, it's probably best to keep my distance for now.
'As planned, I'll use the temple to confront the Emperor, and in the meantime, properly secure the Deste Territory.'
Ring-a-ling—.
Just then, a loud bell sound came from Verity's pocket.
"Hold on. I'm getting a call."
Click.
"Hello? Secretary-nim?"
Secretary?
'What, are they a secretary for the Lord-level demons?'
Verity, once again, bowed and took the call.
Judging by the conversation, it seemed a secretary for Bleached Demon or the long-haired Lord had contacted him.
"Yes, ah, I see it was there. Thank you for letting me know. Yes, alright, I'll do that."
Please come in!
Verity, his back bent like an 'L' shape, hung up and told me.
"My Lady, what happened to the ring Priest Saker gave you?"
"Huh?"
Uh oh.
I felt the blood drain from my face.
I frantically patted my pockets. Of course, it wouldn't be in the clothes I was wearing now.
"What should I...!"
"Fortunately, I found the ring."
"Phew, thank goodness..."
"Sigh, how many times have I told you to put valuables in the bag with the subspace pocket? You never listen to me these days."
"Eee, but you found it, so it's okay."
"Don't try to smooth things over with cuteness."
"Sigh, fine."
"That wasn't an order to kneel."
Since it had come to this, I finished the inspection while riding on Verity's back.
"Hehe, this is fun!"
"Only a Clavis would play with a demon like this."
Though he grumbled, his voice was full of laughter, so I acted a little more spoiled, forgetting my dignity as a twenty-five-year-old.
The demon butler indulged my childish behavior.
---
With the addition of the fourteen new residents, the population of Exilium Village had reached thirty.
After returning to the village, Hebenia focused on village operations for a week.
First, she arranged housing for the new residents, had in-depth conversations with them, and provided what they needed.
She also gave them jobs.
Some were employed at the village's main facilities, some cultivated the communal fields, and some ran businesses in the market.
The original twelve residents also began focusing on economic activities.
"I'll invest the initial capital and materials, so everyone feel free to try things out."
Thanks to Village Chief Hebenia's active support, Exilium Village finally had an environment where money could flow.
"Now all that's left..."
Just one thing.
"A distributor to sell the villagers' products outside."
The establishment of a trading company.
Comments
Post a Comment