Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 87


Chapter 87


"L-Lady..."


The High Priest suddenly asked in a thin, strained voice.


"Th-that just now...?"


He pointed to the empty space where I'd pulled out the documents.


"Oh, the subspace?"


What else.


I let out a light breath and opened the subspace again to pull out a book.


It was a self-help book I'd borrowed from the village library—a representative guide to the culture one should possess when the world oppresses you: Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.


"But it's small. I can only fit three or four books in there."


Still, the convenience was undeniable.


'Speaking of which, should I practice expanding its capacity?'


I resolved to ask Verity for training methods when I got back to the village.


"......"


"......"


"......"


But the gazes fixed on me had been strange for a while now.


What was even more puzzling was that their surprised looks seemed tinged with wonder.


Even Priest Chel do, usually calm and composed, had his mouth agape.


'Surely not because of the subspace?'


I knew subspaces weren't common.


'But is it really worth this much of a reaction?'


The villagers had simply chuckled and said, "Haha, amazing," whenever Verity used his subspace pocket.


Watching them, I'd naturally assumed, 'A subspace pocket is just that level of impressive technology.'


'...Huh?'


Maybe not.


Feeling a bit anxious, I cautiously asked.


"By any chance, is a subspace..."


"The power to manipulate space is not within human domain."


The High Priest spoke in a heavy voice, all traces of humor gone. His freshly shaved temples twitched with each word.


"At least, as far as this humble servant knows..."


He paused, swallowing dryly.


"...It is a miracle that only saints who wield divine power—the sacred power bestowed directly by God—can perform."


"Oh, no."


I'm screwed.


---


"Your Holiness, I swear to God, I am not a saintess."


"Don't worry. We'll keep your secret."


"This is an ability passed down through my family for generations. Through trials I endured, bleeding..."


"You underwent trials?"


"Would it be better if I just shut my mouth?"


The more I tried to explain, the more I was misunderstood.


In the end, Hebenia returned to the village thoroughly exhausted.


But Hebenia, the village chief and future revolutionary, had no time to rest.


Though she'd received an annoying misunderstanding from the priests, she clearly understood her role and responsibilities.


"By the way, what's the name of the trading company?"


"We don't have one yet."


"For an endorsement, you definitely need a name. That's how a legal entity can be identified. It establishes legal standing..."


"Your Holiness, by any chance, did you major in business?"


The reason the trading company didn't have a name was simple.


Hebenia hadn't found one she liked yet.


"Calling it 'Exilium' would be like screaming, 'We're alive, and this is ours!'"


"Exactly."


That evening, as she dried Hebenia's hair, Libby suggested an idea.


"If it's that hard, why not hold a contest?"


"A contest?"


"A contest for the villagers. With a prize."


"My kiss?"


"If there's an adult who'd obsess over that with fiery eyes, that's disgusting. I hope there are no perverts like that where I live."


"That's true..."


But in parenting novels, there were quite a few madmen who'd risk their lives for a baby protagonist's kiss.


'Thankfully, the adults in our village aren't like that.'


Anyway, Hebenia liked Libby's suggestion.


So the next day.


Hebenia borrowed Verity's laptop and made a flyer.


"...Wait, this is Windows?"


"It's from the Clavis. It was developed specifically for the demon world, based on that software. They even installed a VPN so you can bypass and access Earth's intranet without being detected by the Interdimensional Alliance."


"I'm not even surprised anymore..."


"For reference, this phone is also from the Clavis."


"Don't I get one?"


"You have a deal with the Lords, my Lady. Earn it through hard work!"


"Demons..."


Grumbling, Hebenia's hands and eyes stayed busy.


"Oho, not bad."


Verity grinned and nodded.


[Trading Company Name Contest]


Below the bold title, the purpose of the contest was stated.


[Purpose: Revitalize the village community and secure creative ideas.]


A fairly plausible intention.


"My Lady, the real meaning is 'we're stealing your creativity,' isn't it?"


"Shh!"


Hebenia put a finger to her lips to hush him.


"But look how much I cared about the prize!"


The prize for Exilium Village's first contest was none other than a 'Village Chief Wish Voucher.'


[This voucher entitles the holder to have the village chief grant any wish.]


[However, the village chief reserves the right to review the wish.]


It was a prize that tempted at first glance.


Even Verity admitted that.


'If it weren't for this, that is.'


Verity took the faint text below the prize description, enlarged it, and changed it to black.


[However, the village chief reserves the right to review the wish.]


After confirming the hidden text, Verity looked down at Hebenia with a look that said, "You're wicked."


Sensing his gaze, Hebenia quickly looked away.


"I never thought I'd say this, but even the Clavis wouldn't do this. This is just malicious."


"It's my goodwill, born out of concern for our villagers."


"All I see is malice."


"I'm just trying to protect our kind villagers from getting scammed by letting them experience it first..."


"Your goodwill will end up burning the villagers."


In the end, part of the flyer had to be revised.


[This voucher entitles the holder to have the village chief grant one wish.]


[However, wishes that violate the law or go against common sense may be rejected at the village chief's discretion.]


[Examples: 'Kill someone,' 'Make that person love me.']


The revised flyers were posted around the village.


And the village's first contest began.


Thanks to the generous prize, the villagers' participation was remarkable. During the one-week submission period, the suggestion box had to be replaced twice.


"Oh, this is quite heavy?"


Ian gathered the entries from the box into a large basket and poured them all onto the table.


The paper slips covering the table numbered well over a hundred, even by rough estimate.


"Oh my...!"


Hebenia was deeply moved.


"Everyone participated so enthusiastically!"


"The prize is amazing—you get any wish granted."


"Habi, judging by how you say that, you submitted one too, Ian oppa?"


"There probably isn't a single villager who didn't. Flora submitted three."


"True—I submitted ten myself."


"I wonder what wishes everyone wants granted."


Hebenia, along with Ian, Libby, and Verity, began checking the entries.


"Hehe..."


As time passed, Hebenia kept smiling.


'Everyone submitted such kind things.'


Wishes for the trading company's success.


Wishes that everyone's efforts wouldn't go to waste.


Wishes for the village's endless prosperity.


Each name, containing such sincere wishes, made Hebenia so grateful and thankful.


"But this kind of emotion will all disappear once the village population exceeds a hundred. The more the merrier—but more people also mean more troubles."


"Ugh, this demon has no tact and is ruining the mood..."


"Lord Verity, let's put that truth aside for now."


"I'm starting to lose my momentum too."


After such heated discussion and careful deliberation.


The contest winner was selected.


[Ixel]


Below the winning entry, the participant's reason was also posted.


"During my exile, I had a hobby of watching the morning star. A single starlight, undefeated by the sunset, protected me in the darkness where I couldn't see an inch ahead."


"Exilium is our new foundation, and the trading company is the first stepping stone for painting a new future."


"Shaken Exilium became Ixelium."


"In the village, twelve, sixteen, and now over thirty stars have gathered."


"Light gathered together shines more brilliantly and dazzlingly than the sun, so our village will become the land where the brightest light rises."


The winner was Deiph.


The one with the aptitude of 'Prophet Who Reads Fate' had prophesied the village's hopeful future.


"Ixelium..."


Hebenia repeated the beautiful word over and over.


"Ixelium, Ixel, Ixel..."


Every time she said it, the village seemed to grow more beautiful, as if the villagers would always support each other in the face of any hardship.


An ideal that could only exist in imagination felt like it might become real, even just a little.


It was truly a magical word.


The moved village chief held an emergency assembly.


Hebenia proposed one agenda item, and it passed unanimously.


"From now on, our village will be named Ixelium!"


Bang, bang—!


The day the exile camp became a land of brilliance.


The Ixel Trading Company was established.


---


Late at night.


Someone knocked loudly on the doors of the Deste Temple.


The priests on duty opened the door, startled to find a young couple, drenched in sweat, standing there with tear-filled eyes.


"Priests! Please help us!"


"Our daughter suddenly spiked a fever and started convulsing..."


"The doctor's office is closed right now..."


"Please save our daughter!"


The child on the father's back was unconscious from the high fever.


The priests calmed the panicked parents and led them inside.


"Lay the child here."


"We've called a Salvation Priest who can use healing magic—they'll be here soon."


Soon, a red-haired priest appeared. On his left hand was a white ring signifying a Salvation Priest.


"......"


As the Salvation Priest cast healing magic, the child's face gradually relaxed.


"She should be fine now."


After treating the child, the Salvation Priest gave some instructions to another priest.


The priest who had left returned carrying a small metal box.


The Salvation Priest said.


"Fortunately, there seems to be nothing seriously wrong with the child. Still, just in case, let's keep her here under observation for today."


Then he handed over the metal box.


"Here, please take this."


"Th-this is..."


"A first-aid kit."


Comments