Home/The Seven-Year-Old Village Chief of Exile/ch 94
Chapter 94
"That's the only explanation."
The day after meeting the Grand Duchess at night.
The Crown Prince suddenly approached me and started acting friendly.
"The Grand Duchess is showing interest in me, so he's trying to use me to boost his own standing."
The Crown Prince was clever.
'No, cunning.'
When I first went to greet him, he treated me like air, but as soon as the Grand Duchess showed me favor, he smiled and approached me like an old friend.
"Do you like magical engineering?"
"Oh, how did you know?"
"I saw you reading a book in the library."
"......!"
"You looked adorable, absorbed in it."
Crazy bastard.
'I wasn't even in the library.'
This cunning nine-year-old Crown Prince brazenly used what he'd overheard that night.
From the wiretap, I'd learned that the Crown Prince's position wasn't as solid as I'd thought, because of the Stria family's neutrality.
'I never thought the Stria family wouldn't support the Crown Prince.'
The Crown Prince despised his maternal family for being useless.
"She's even more useless than the Royal Consort. If she were alive, I'd have more support from them."
"The Duke of Stria and the Grand Duchess are both obsessed with the dead and don't care about me. Ignorant bastards."
He didn't even hesitate to insult his late mother.
'He's barely human.'
Though growing up in such a family, it's no wonder he turned out this way.
'...But the Crown Prince turned out well, though.'
I thought of Crown Prince Edelros for the first time in a while.
In a way, it was remarkable that he'd grown up right despite having such terrible parents. I wondered if he was eating well.
"I actually feel a little sorry for the Crown Prince."
Uncle Pex said quietly.
"I can't shake the feeling that if he'd had just one proper adult around him, he wouldn't have turned out this way."
"Well, the Stria family does seem rather cold."
"It's the innocent children who suffer."
Uncle Modi and Aunt Prellia agreed.
I was secretly surprised.
'That's another perspective.'
Hearing it, I had to admit it made sense.
The Stria family, still so attached to the late Empress, did seem to have a cold attitude toward her bloodline, the Crown Prince.
'Still, I find the Crown Prince unpleasant.'
If they were going to hate anyone, they should hate the Stria family—not insult the mother who gave her life to bear him. That's crossing the line.
'Sigh, thank goodness I wasn't born royal.'
No wonder the Clavis, who had everything, left the throne alone. Wise.
Anyway, thanks to the dark-hearted Crown Prince, the visit to the Magical Engineering Academy was decided.
"I hope nothing happens."
"Oh, come on."
Ian, who couldn't come with us, was endlessly worried. I glanced meaningfully at my neatly trimmed nails.
"Would that ever happen?"
It'd be faster to listen to our dogs talk.
At my nonchalant tone, the adults wore complicated expressions.
"...I suppose you're right."
"Nature does play a bigger role, doesn't it?"
"Some kids are just born with that kind of temperament."
"Tch, my only pity is for the late Empress."
"What should I make for lunch today?"
---
Crown Prince Pereus had actually never planned to visit the Deste Territory.
He hated it there.
At first, he was just annoyed that Crown Prince Edelros's reputation had improved considerably.
The bastard half-breed would never inherit the throne anyway, yet the foolish commoners were chattering about him being chosen by an angel.
Then he heard that the Grand Duchess of Stria was going to the Deste Territory for recuperation. It irritated him.
'Of all places, Deste again.'
But perhaps God took pity on him.
The Emperor summoned him and gave him a mission.
"Bring back the Magical Engineering Academy's withdrawal of political neutrality."
At the same time, he revealed a great secret.
'They've been conducting experiments to steal the Clavis's power...!'
He also learned that angels and demons, which he'd only read about in scriptures, actually existed, and that the empire was now allied with them.
He'd even met a demon.
The Crown Prince was filled with a low, thrilling joy.
For the first time, he felt acknowledged. He was addicted to the intoxication of being one of the chosen.
When he saw the undead employees firsthand, his sense of superiority peaked—he was different from everyone else.
Nine-year-old Pereus loved that feeling.
He vowed to make it a permanent part of his life.
As his first step.
'Beni.'
Inside the carriage heading to the Magical Engineering Academy.
Pereus quietly gazed at the silver-haired girl sitting demurely across from him.
Beni, with her hair tied in two long braids, was quite pretty.
Her chubby cheeks were a minor flaw, but even so, she was quite beautiful. He wouldn't be embarrassed to have her by his side.
'Even among the capital's nobles, few are of her caliber.'
And unlike the noble children who desperately tried to curry favor with him, she knew her place and quietly read her book.
It was refreshing.
'She seems quite intelligent too.'
Beni had been reading quietly for a while now. The book was titled Introduction to Magical Engineering for Beginners.
"Do you like magical engineering that much?"
"Ah..."
Beni looked up from her book.
Then she smiled shyly.
"I think it's amazing. The fusion of magic and technology. I've heard it's led to the development of many wonderful and convenient magical tools."
"You care about the Empire."
"Oh, no! It's not that I think so highly of myself, I, I couldn't possibly have such grand thoughts..."
Beni knew her place.
Pereus liked that about her.
'Her only flaw is being a commoner.'
Fortunately, Beni's aunt seemed to have a good relationship with Molle Livus. With some effort, she could be elevated to the nobility.
'At her level, it should be fine...'
Even if her bloodline was lowborn, it wouldn't be a problem.
'Especially with her silver hair, just like my mother's.'
Pereus began to imagine Beni standing beside him as an adult.
---
Just because I'm pretending to be a good, obedient seven-year-old doesn't mean I'm oblivious.
I'd long noticed the arrogant brat's measuring gaze on me.
'He's still just a child.'
Unable to properly hide his rudeness.
'...No, I don't want to feel any warmth thinking about how he's just a kid.'
Sigh, Crown Prince.
'How are you doing?'
Right now, I miss you so much.
'But just hold on a little longer.'
A long, tall gray wall had been visible outside the carriage window for a while.
"We're here."
The Crown Prince spoke.
"This is the 'Wall of Infinity,' one of the symbols of the Magical Engineering Academy."
"The Wall of Infinity?"
"It's a barrier created by the academy's founding members. The technology used here became the foundation of all defensive barriers in the empire."
"Wow...!"
"The name comes from the fact that it takes a long time for enemies to break through it."
"I see!"
Who asked?
'You little brat, already trying to teach me. Can't you see the textbook in my hand? Are your eyes just for show?'
Regardless, the Wall of Infinity was truly fascinating.
Like a hand cupped over the eyes to block sunlight, the long, towering wall surrounded only half of the academy.
The entrance, on the other hand, was lined with dense ornamental trees.
'Is this allowed in architecture?'
But my disappointment vanished the moment I stepped inside.
"Wow!"
I couldn't help but exclaim as I got out of the carriage.
"Miss, stay close to me."
Verity, who had parked the carriage, took my hand. I squeezed it tightly.
'I almost ran out, forgetting my age.'
Seeing is believing. A hundred lines in a book can't compare to seeing it once.
A large square stretched from the central building to the entrance where we stood.
Buildings of various sizes stood on both sides, with no rhyme or reason. That made it all the more fascinating.
'That building is so ornate, but the one next to it looks like something out of sci-fi, so simple.'
What caught my eye most were the magical tools being tested on the streets.
I pointed at one.
"It's a flying broom!"
"It's an automatic cleaning broom. It seems to be a failed prototype that just flies around instead of cleaning. Judging by the white lab coat..."
Verity scrutinized the person flying on the broom.
"...They must be a doctoral engineering student. When the dark circles under their eyes reach the middle of their face, that's a doctoral student."
"Oh dear..."
"Don't pity them. They're foolish beings who couldn't escape after finishing their master's."
"Beni."
The Crown Prince called me.
"I'm going to the main building to carry out the imperial order."
He pointed to the large central building.
"So wait here quietly and look around."
"Yes, Your Highness."
I bowed my head.
"Thank you for bringing me to such a wonderful place!"
"If you behave, I'll buy you something tasty."
"Sh..."
I quickly shut my mouth.
'Phew, I almost said "shut up."'
Then I smiled as if nothing had happened.
"Thank you for your boundless kindness."
He gave me an approving look, then boarded the carriage again with Knight Commander Rashid and headed to the main building.
Verity and I held hands and moved to watch the magical tool experiments.
Click—.
I immediately put up a barrier. Verity simultaneously cast a spell to prevent sound from escaping.
Finally, our conversation began.
"The Knight Commander has indeed made a contract with a demon, but he didn't come along. They seem to be lying low after the Antema Lab incident."
"No, my Korean parcel delivery ticket!"
"And there are watchers."
"How many?"
"Two. They're weak enough to subdue without killing."
"Then let's proceed as planned."
We looked toward the main building where the Crown Prince had gone.
In Part 2 of Clavis in One Volume, there's a scene like this:
[Fairy: The academy's directors are all cowards and stubborn, but they're also stylish people who love the academy more than anyone.]
In his office, a flag symbolizing the academy is planted.
A blue emblem with a quill pen and a monkey wrench crossed.
"Found it!"
As I shouted, Verity shifted his body to shield me from the watchers' view.
I reached out my arm and pointed to the window with the flag.
"Open."
The window swung open.
"Transfer!"
With a snap of my fingers.
I'd achieved my goal.
Comments
Post a Comment