Home/The villainess's personal maid is very good at her job/ch 117


Episode 117


"Lacey!"


"I'm fine, Liam."


Lacey waved her hand at Liam, who was startled and checking on her condition.


She didn't want to spoil this happy time with everyone gathered.


But she couldn't help her pale complexion. Seeing her sickly appearance, everyone naturally grew somber.


Into that atmosphere, the young cardinal cautiously spoke.


"May I check on your condition briefly after the meal?"


Lacey silently looked around. At everyone's worried gazes, she swallowed a sigh and nodded.


"I would appreciate that."


Only then did everyone look relieved.


The worry still lingered on their faces, but they all tried not to show it.


The meal resumed warmly.


Throughout the family's lively chatter, the two guests kept the conversation pleasant without being intrusive.


As the meal was nearly finished—


"Um, actually, there's something I've been curious about for a while—may I ask?"


At César's cautious question, the Earl of Hersion readily nodded.


After all, this was the cardinal who had declared he would treat their daughter.


His goodwill had already skyrocketed.


"Of course. Feel free to ask anything."


With the host's permission, César smiled and nodded.


"Is Lady Ortega, who was recently registered into the family, the biological daughter of the Marchioness of Ortega and Lady Lacey?"


"……"


"……"


At the unexpectedly direct question, silence fell.


'Oh dear.'


Janet also stared at him in surprise.


She'd sensed the young cardinal was curious about her relationship with the family, but——


'I didn't expect him to ask so directly.'


And at such an unexpected timing.


There wasn't a trace of malice in his expression. As if he were asking out of pure curiosity.


Of course, no one here doubted that it was an act.


Hmm.


After a short hum, Janet looked around at her frozen family and spoke.


"Yes, that's correct."


"……Janet."


Startled, Richard tried to stop her.


Shrugging once, Janet answered quietly.


"It'll come out eventually anyway. It's more awkward to keep denying it. Unnecessary rumors might follow."


"Unnecessary rumors? What do you mean……"


"Like me being Father's illegitimate child, or something like that."


"What? Who would dare say such a thing?"


Creak. At Richard's gritted-teeth answer, the Earl and Countess of Hersion squeezed their eyes shut and opened them.


Richard might not know, but those rumors were already spreading quietly.


If their own maids were whispering, the rumors had likely already spread throughout the Empire.


"Yes, Janet is right."


"Grandfather."


"Even if we keep silent, the truth right before our eyes won't disappear."


With that, the Earl glanced at his daughter and son-in-law.


Fortunately, they too just nodded calmly.


Especially Liam, whose nod was particularly emphatic.


As the head of 'Illinia,' he was naturally well-informed about rumors.


Hearing the strange rumors spreading across the Empire, he had also been resolving to reveal Janet's existence soon.


For a young cardinal, he wasn't a bad choice as the first person to confess the truth to.


"As Janet said. Our Janet is the biological daughter my wife and I lost long ago."


"As I thought. But it's strange—I've never heard that the Marchioness had a daughter."


At the careful question, the Marchioness recounted their story.


Especially when explaining 'why young Janet's birth was hidden,' he spoke firmly and deliberately.


Because he had worried that if it became known that his daughter carried the fate of the first head of the family, Veronia, many would covet her.


Just as Veronia had been caught up in political faction fighting and unjustly killed.


In the past, the Temple had been among those involved in that conflict.


So the Marchioness was quietly warning César.


'Don't let the Temple target Janet either.'


Without responding, César listened intently to the Marchioness's story.


"I plan to make it public soon, but could you keep it a secret until then?"


"Of course. And I will do my utmost to ensure no one targets Lady Ortega."


Kendrick, who had been listening silently, interjected in a flat tone.


"Even if it's the Temple?"


"Of course. If the Temple covets or targets Lady Janet, I will dedicate myself to stopping it."


"……I see. That's reassuring."


Though he'd gotten the answer he wanted, Kendrick's voice carried a hint of unease.


Something about César's gaze bothered him.


Specifically, César's gaze 'toward Janet' bothered him.


It was overly bright, sparkling, and his face was strangely flushed……


'What's with that look?'


Along with an inexplicable sense of crisis, irritation welled up.


Unconsciously, he leaned his shoulder closer to Janet, narrowing his eyes.


---


After the meal.


As promised, César examined Lacey's condition. Liam stayed as her guardian.


Liam, built like a bear with muscles everywhere, was like a gentle lamb in front of his wife.


As he fidgeted anxiously while watching Lacey, the cardinal, feeling her pulse, calmly spoke.


"You've been coughing frequently?"


"Yes."


"Does your throat hurt too?"


"Yes, it does."


"How does it feel?"


"Like there's sand stuck—scratchy and rough. When I cough, my airways feel like they're closing up."


"……I see."


César nodded with a frown.


"Does your chest feel tight or painful when you cough?"


"Ah, I think so."


Just then, a small cough escaped.


Covering her mouth with a handkerchief as she coughed, Lacey nodded.


"Yes, it definitely hurts around my chest."


Hearing her symptoms, César wore an expression of realization.


"What's wrong? Has my wife contracted a serious illness?"


At the Marchioness's question, looking like he might cry at any moment, César quickly waved his hands.


"No, it's not that."


"R-really?"


"Yes. It's not serious or incurable. However……"


Pausing, César let out a small sigh.


The cloth covering his nose and mouth stirred slightly. Liam and Lacey were also wearing similar coverings.


It was a special cloth César had infused with divine power.


The divine power infused into objects didn't last long—about an hour at most.


'Still, I'm glad I wore it just in case.'


At least while the effect lasted, it could prevent respiratory and saliva-borne infections.


"It seems Lady Lacey has contracted the epidemic that's currently spreading across the Empire."


"Pardon? An epidemic?"


At Lacey's startled question, César nodded.


"It first broke out in the South. At first, it was dismissed as a simple cold, but since cold remedies had no effect, they began to suspect a new disease."


He calmly explained this 'new epidemic.'


"This disease is highly contagious and progresses quickly. It starts with coughing, then gradually causes chest tightness and pain, and eventually leads to pneumonia."


"……Pneumonia."


Liam murmured in shock.


In the Empire, pneumonia was considered a serious illness.


It couldn't be easily cured with medicine, and only the divine healing of high-ranking priests could treat it.


"Such a terrible epidemic is spreading?"


"Yes. The Temple is already touring the Empire to treat patients, but the speed of transmission is causing headaches."


"And there's still no medicine?"


"Yes, that's correct."


At César's regretful answer, the two sighed simultaneously.


But the next moment—


"Wait. If I have an epidemic, then possibly……"


Lacey's face turned pale.


The servants who had cared for her, and her elderly parents who had visited her out of concern.


And her beloved children, and the two guests who had shared dinner with them.


"What if they all get sick because of me?"


Comments