Home/The villainess's personal maid is very good at her job/ch 136


Episode 136


"Well, that princess has some questionable aspects."


"……Questionable?"


The Grand Duke's reaction was similar to William's.


'Is it because they've been master and servant for so long that their opinions align?'


The story that followed was also the same as what the Head Butler had told her.


"When I was ill, the princess confidently stepped forward, saying she could cure me. But it was utterly useless."


The Grand Duke clicked his tongue as if recalling that time.


"Thinking back on it now, it was humiliating."


"Humiliating? When you're sick, it's only natural to receive treatment."


"No, that's not the issue. It's not that……"


Hmm.


After a throaty sound, the Grand Duke glanced at Janet.


Then——


"You, well, you're my chosen future daughter-in-law."


Muttering loudly enough for her to hear, he continued.


"When I was sick, the princess visited me frequently for treatment. At first, she acted very humble, but as I began to rely on her more, her demands grew.


She didn't like the servants.


She didn't like the accommodation.


She didn't like the food.


And so on. She picked at every small thing and asked for changes. Like someone gradually reversing the power dynamic.


At the time, I was sick and she was the only one I could rely on, so I went along with it——"


"But now that I think about it, she was incredibly arrogant. For someone no better than a prisoner from a defeated nation to act so haughty toward me."


The Grand Duke's dark mutterings carried an undeniable anger.


Having lived his entire life in a high position, receiving everyone's admiration, the humiliation and anger he felt toward the princess must have been immense.


"Then, do you plan to call off the engagement between the princess and the Second Prince?"


At Janet's carefully asked question, the Grand Duke raised an eyebrow and looked at her.


"……."


Instead of answering immediately, he stared at her with his intimidating golden eyes.


For someone who had nearly died recently, his presence was formidable.


As expected of someone called a living legend of the Empire.


'Oh dear. Was this question out of line?'


Just as Janet hesitated, thinking she might have been the one acting presumptuously in a conversation about the princess's arrogance——


"Lady Janet."


"Yes, Your Grace."


"If you truly……"


If truly?


As Janet swallowed nervously, the Grand Duke's fierce gaze transformed into one of interest and amusement.


"If you truly have an interest in Zephyr?"


"No, that's not it."


"Hmph."


At Janet's firm answer, the Grand Duke sighed in disappointment.


"Then I should push for Kendrick after all?"


Once again muttering loudly enough for her to hear, Janet could only offer her characteristic awkward smile.


But only for a moment.


'Wait. Perhaps…… I can use this?'


Suddenly, a good idea came to mind.


Now that she'd sensed the princess's suspicious nature, she couldn't just let her be paired with Zephyr without a fight.


Fortunately, the Grand Duke didn't seem inclined to push for the engagement anytime soon.


'But the Grand Duchess wants to move it forward immediately.'


To stop that, they needed some kind of 'obstacle.'


And——


'The best obstacle to insert into this situation right now is……'


None other than herself.


Janet Ortega.


"Wait a moment, Your Grace. I think I might be somewhat interested in Lord Zephyr after all."


"Hm? Is that true?"


"Yes. I think it would be good to get to know what kind of person he is…… if that's alright?"


"Of course! I'll arrange a time—you can at least have a conversation."


Haha. As the Grand Duke laughed heartily, Janet smiled in front of him.


---


Bam.


The one who pushed the door open roughly strode across the large room.


His hurried footsteps carried impatience and anger.


Soon, spotting his target, the man shouted as if in fury.


"Mother. What is the meaning of this!"


At Zephyr's sharp voice, Grand Duchess Merian slowly turned her head.


"Zephyr. You're loud."


"Please answer my question first."


At Zephyr's words, the Grand Duchess deliberately averted her gaze and elegantly sipped her tea.


Clenching his fists, Zephyr sighed and sat across from her.


"Would you like some tea?"


"……I'm not in the mood."


Whether he wanted it or not, the Grand Duchess signaled a maid to place tea before him.


Despite his refusal, Zephyr stared silently at the teacup that had appeared before him.


"Everyone, leave."


After dismissing all the servants, Merian straightened her posture and faced Zephyr.


"So, what's your business?"


"I heard you went to Father and asked to expedite my engagement to Princess Evadne."


"Hm. News travels fast."


"What is this about? It's different from what you told me."


"What is?"


"You said the marriage talks with the princess were just for show. A relationship to be used and discarded for mutual benefit."


That was why Zephyr had agreed to the marriage talks with Princess Evadne in the first place.


A relationship with a predetermined end.


A relationship that could be cut without hesitation once both parties had gotten what they wanted, or once they became useless to each other.


Zephyr had naturally never intended to actually get engaged to the princess.


He had even less intention of marrying her.


"And now you're pushing for an engagement behind my back!"


An 'engagement' carried far more weight than simple marriage talks.


Breaking off marriage talks happened frequently, but breaking an engagement was never easy.


Between families——


No, in the princess's case, it involved relations between nations.


If they got engaged and then broke it off, it could cause serious deterioration in relations between the two countries.


Ultimately, if the engagement went through, they would be forced to marry.


Zephyr wanted to avoid that at all costs.


"What about the princess's intentions? Does she also want to push for the engagement? Didn't she agree to a relationship that would end after mutual benefit?"


"……."


At Zephyr's question, Merian's eyes grew vacant for a moment.


"……"


"……Mother?"


At the dazed look in her eyes, as if she were staring at nothing, Zephyr called out in concern.


Merian's eyes slowly closed and opened.


Still with her gaze slightly off, she spoke slowly.


"Zephyr."


"Yes, Mother."


"Not everyone can live their lives doing only what they want."


"Pardon? What do you mean……"


"Princess Evadne is a good match. She's someone you need to become Grand Duke."


"But you said not long ago that she didn't seem very useful."


At Zephyr's confused question, Merian tilted her head slightly.


Curling one corner of her mouth crookedly, she looked as if she were mocking someone.


"Zephyr. No matter what, your mother will see this engagement through."


"Mother! I don't want this. I have absolutely no intention of getting engaged to the princess."


Despite Zephyr's strong resistance, Merian didn't waver.


Instead——


"Shh. My good son."


Lowering her voice to a whisper, Merian reached her hand out to her son.


Her hand gently stroked his cheek.


At the unexpectedly cold touch, Zephyr flinched slightly.


"You know how hard I've worked to make you Grand Duke, don't you?"


"……."


"I endured it all—that wretched husband constantly bringing other women and children into our lives. I couldn't sleep at night from the humiliation and desire for revenge, but I never divorced him. Why? To make you Grand Duke. To put powerful authority in your hands! To make this family yours!"


Merian's voice grew increasingly agitated.


Her smiling face began to twist.


In this moment, Merian was not an elegant Grand Duchess. She was simply a desperate woman.


"I gave my life to you. I gave my entire life for you!"


Her mother's shouting voice sounded like weeping, and Zephyr could say nothing.


Comments