Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 36
Chapter 36
I was admiring the Crown Prince's character and paying little attention to Cedric when Susanna, who'd just arrived, waved her hand cheerfully.
"Good morning!"
Huh? Susanna was always energetic, but as an office worker, she wouldn't be in such high spirits just from coming to work.
"Assistant Manager Susanna, did something happy happen?"
Morian asked, apparently thinking the same thing.
Susanna shrugged.
"Heheh, I was walking down the street yesterday and someone told me I have a good impression. They even tried to ask for my home phone number, but I didn't want to give it."
"Oh..."
"Having a good impression means they recognized my kind heart!"
"That's just the Temple trying to proselytize..."
"Senior Staff Cedric, let's keep that between us."
I covered Cedric's mouth to protect Susanna's mood.
"Do they do that here too? Asking for numbers while walking down the street?"
Suddenly curious whether this world had the concept of "street pickups," I muttered, and Susanna answered.
"Of course, even the capital has street pickups."
Even the terminology was the same...
"But since joining the guild, my dark circles have gotten worse, so those things haven't happened."
Susanna's expression suddenly turned gloomy.
"I-it's probably just because of the dark circles. There are just times like that."
"Hmm, since we're on the topic, let me ask. Have any of you had romance?"
At Susanna's sudden question, we each fell into our own thoughts for a moment.
I rummaged through the original Odrette's memories. She'd lived as a social newcomer too busy making a living to have any romance...
"I have no romance in my life."
The same had been true for my previous life. There'd been a near-disaster when I was almost introduced to Mr. Park Geo-seong's son, but I'd narrowly avoided it, sob sob...
"I've had a romance network before."
"Oh?"
At Morian's foreign-word-laced comment, all our eyes turned to him. The scent of an interesting story wafted through the air.
There's nothing better than chatting and slacking off on company time... Wait, I'm the Guild Master! Anyway, we decided to hear Morian's story.
"When I first came to the capital and had no money for a deposit, I lived in a mixed-gender dormitory..."
Damn, it was already sad.
"We slept six to a room, same gender."
"Six to a room?"
"What an unjust rental facility."
Even Cedric sighed—Morian's story was tear-jerking.
"At that time, twenty-four of us shared one kitchen, and that's where the romance network formed. I met my ideal type there..."
"What kind of person was your ideal type?"
"A woman who looks great in glasses."
"A glasses preference, I see."
"The romance network blossomed there, and it seemed like the romance was heading toward its prime..."
"Was heading?"
"She was planning to move, but then she got scammed on a lease deposit. I tried to help, but then we lost contact..."
"Damn, that's too sad."
"We need to correct injustice for the Empire's youth."
In the end, Morian's story ended as the tale of a poor young man victimized by society's absurdities. We decided not to ask him any more about romance.
"What about you, Senior Staff Cedric?"
"I've never liked anyone either."
"Tch, boring."
"Then what about you, Assistant Manager Susanna?"
"Ah."
When I asked a sharp question, she hesitated for a moment before answering.
"Actually, I'm a marriage-free person."
"Oh, I see. But didn't you say something different to the previous Guild Master?"
"It's the same for you, Guild Master Odrette!"
Susanna flared up, recalling the past.
"Yeah, 'Senior Staff Susanna, Senior Staff Odrette, do you have any thoughts about marriage?'"
"Hoho, if I meet a good person."
"Haha, same here."
The tearful memory of our answers flashed through my mind.
"Anyway, those boomers! They ask casually, 'I'll do it if I meet a good person,' and then they go around telling everyone, 'All these young people say they won't marry, but everyone around me says they're open to it!'"
"That was a bit annoying."
As we recalled past memories, Susanna turned the topic back to us.
"Romance is something you do if you get the chance, or don't. But I'm not getting married! Right now, I don't really have an ideal type either. What about you, Guild Master Odrette? Don't you have an ideal type?"
"Ideal type..."
This was a question I'd been asked often, but it was always a difficult one.
I'd thought that since I'd fallen into a romance fantasy novel, even passing extras would be handsome—but unfortunately, that wasn't really the case.
"Someone good-looking, I suppose."
"Oh, what type?"
"I don't really care about that. As long as they're good-looking."
"True, ugly guys aren't particularly known for having good personalities. If their personalities are equally bad, you might as well go for the good-looking one!"
"As a man, I agree. Actually, among good-looking people, there are those with good-looking minds too."
Morian also agreed with me. Cedric asked with a somewhat troubled expression.
"I have a question. Do people tend to prefer other eye colors over brown?"
"Excuse me?"
"I heard recently that brown eyes look indistinct."
"Oh, don't worry about that, Cedric."
Seeing that he seemed concerned about appearance, I said lightly.
"If you're good-looking, that's all that matters."
"But why would..."
"Excuse me?"
"Never mind."
"What about you, Cedric? What's your ideal type?"
When Susanna asked, Cedric looked as if he'd encountered a monumental problem. Then, with a refreshed expression, he answered.
"I was asked a similar question recently, and this is how I answered."
"What was it?"
"Someone who handles paperwork well, knows how to save and manage money efficiently, has worked enough to understand the hearts of laborers, has the charisma to delegate work well..."
"Cedric, we're asking about your ideal romantic partner, not your ideal boss..."
"Yes, that's how I think."
"Oh, okay..."
Anyway, Cedric also had his peculiarities. I decided to respect his ideal type.
"Shall we get back to work now?"
"Heeing, yes."
Susanna buried her face in her documents again. Another peaceful day at the guild.
---
"Senior Staff Cedric, you're quite interesting."
"What is it?"
Cedrian, who'd been heading to the restroom, turned around in annoyance. Why on earth would someone follow a person going to the bathroom?
But Morian spoke with a confident face.
"I originally enjoy stories like this. And through our conversation earlier, I've come to understand you."
"What are you talking about?"
Cedrian and Morian had always had an awkward relationship.
As the Crown Prince, Cedrian had naturally never approached anyone first, having lived a life where talented people always gathered around him.
Also, since he planned to leave the guild someday, he hadn't approached Morian first.
Morian hadn't spoken to him first either.
But now, Morian suddenly started acting familiar.
"I've discovered your big secret."
At those words, Cedrian swallowed hard. Had he seen through his identity...
"You're in love with the Guild Master, aren't you?"
"Excuse me?"
Cedrian froze at the unexpected words. It was such an absurd thing to say that he didn't even know how to respond.
"The romantic partner you described matches the Guild Master perfectly."
"No, that's just because of circumstances."
This was about the capabilities of a Crown Princess who would help lead the country. Cedrian tried to clear up the misunderstanding, but Morian already had a face that said he was flying off into his own imagination.
"I'm someone who can analyze all data excellently. I've already gotten the results."
"What results?"
"It's 100 percent certain that you have feelings for the Guild Master. I'll be cheering you on."
"Hey, hey!"
Watching Morian disappear, Cedrian clutched his head.
Damn it. As if guild work wasn't already giving him a headache, now he had to deal with misunderstandings...
Father, Eric, Morian—why did everyone keep misunderstanding him? He couldn't understand it at all!
Comments
Post a Comment