Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 39


Chapter 39


Just as I was coming to terms with why Cedric had such a wealth of information, the door opened and a middle-aged woman with an elegant appearance, her hair pinned up, appeared.


"I'm not sure who wishes to see me..."


"Hello, Madam. We're from the Global... no, the Arclight Guild."


"Arclight Guild? I've never heard of it."


"It's an information guild. It had a different name before, but we recently changed it."


"I have no idea what you're talking about... So, what brings you here?"


She crossed her arms, looking at us with a dismissive gaze.


"Surely you haven't come to ask us to hand over client information... We've received a few such shameless proposals from information guilds before, but we would never violate our clients' trust like that, would we?"


"But we believe you are also in need of help, Madam."


"Hmm."


The Madam's gaze turned to Cedric.


"This is a good opportunity to finally surpass the Wave Salon. If you join hands with us, you could aim for the top spot in the industry."


"What reason do I have to trust you?"


"Aren't you curious how we found out your real name, Madam? As an information guild, we have more than enough capability."


"I'll acknowledge your ability, but... I have a lot to offer, while what you can offer me is unclear."


"We'll provide you with the information you need for your business in exchange for the noble information you give us."


"Business information? What kind..."


As the Madam kept her head held high, Cedric said in a low voice.


"In two days, the Imperial Palace will conduct a tax audit on the salons."


"...What?"


Wait, how did Cedric know that? I tried to hide my surprise and sat quietly as the Madam asked excitedly.


"No, if that's true... No, two days gives me time to prepare. But how can I trust..."


"You can verify whether my words are true in two days, can't you?"


"...I suppose."


"If my words are true, what will you do?"


"Hah, then I'll join hands with you. But I'll have to see if it's true when the time comes."


"Very well. We'll visit again in three days."


As we left the conflicted-looking Madam, I grabbed Cedric and asked.


"Cedric, how did you know that?"


"...It's nothing. I noticed a pattern in the recent Imperial tax audit records."


"A pattern?"


"Yes, they've been investigating places related to nobles lately... and the only ones left are the salons. Thursday in two days is the best day. If they do the audit on a Friday, the other side would have to work through the weekend too."


"Ah..."


I was impressed by Cedric's unexpected competence. With abilities like these, other companies would surely want him too.


"This is an unjust act that goes against my principles, but for the sake of the long-term future, this much..."


"Cedric, you absolutely have to stay with our guild."


I grabbed both his hands and looked up at him. His brown eyes, meeting mine, shook with surprise.


"If you want, I'll adjust the conditions—you have to keep working at my guild. Got it?"


"...O-of course."


---


"Heheh, I succeeded!"


Susanna declared proudly.


"I naturally infiltrated the fan club, made lots of friends, and signed a contract to exchange information going forward!"


"Amazing, Assistant Manager Susanna! As expected of someone young and trendy!"


I praised her lavishly since she seemed to want recognition, and she looked pleased.


"You know what? The popular theater actor Robinson has a live-in girlfriend!"


"Is it an affair?"


"No, just a live-in girlfriend."


"Then what's the problem?"


"Sigh, Guild Master, you don't understand fans' hearts at all! This is a betrayal of the fans!"


Hmm, fan psychology wasn't my area of expertise, so I'd just leave celebrity matters to Susanna from now on.


"What about you, Assistant Manager Morian?"


"I also got success. I became friends with the exam study group people, signed a contract, and brought back various information."


"For example?"


"A deposit fraud recently occurred in District 8."


Damn it! They swindled another poor social newcomer! Why did this world have to be exactly like 21st century Korea in these ways!


"This is something the Imperial Family must correct."


Cedric muttered something solemnly to himself, but I ignored it. He was always going on about justice anyway...


More importantly, we had also signed a contract with the Musique Salon.


"Oh my, the tax audit really happened!"


The information Cedric had provided was accurate, and Madame Ariana came to trust us completely. After confirming that we had much to offer each other, we signed the contract.


"This gives us quite a few more channels for gathering information."


"Hehe, right! It's all thanks to you, Guild Master!"


"Assistant Manager Susanna, why are you flattering me again? Do you need something?"


"Could you cover lunch with the company budget..."


"Fine, I'll treat."


"Wow!"


Over pasta, we chatted about our achievements.


Thanks to Cedric's promotion, the guild's new name was becoming known; Morian had gathered various information; and Susanna had organized the budget neatly. The guild was finally taking shape.


"This is all thanks to everyone. Since we've signed the contracts, I'll include a bonus in this month's salary."


"As expected, Guild Master is the best!"


"I always respect and thank you, Guild Master."


"Assistant Manager Morian, why do you mix in foreign words that don't follow grammar?"


We continued our casual conversation, and I thought about our work again.


"So, what partners do we have left to secure...?"


We'd made connections with nobles, celebrities, and commoners—what was left...


"Knights or mercenaries?"


When I muttered that, Morian immediately responded.


"Most information guilds do have connections with them."


"Then we should make one too. But I'd like to connect with decent mercenary guilds or knights, not just any group."


"They're quite closed off too, so it won't be easy."


This time Cedric offered advice.


"They can handle most things themselves, so they wouldn't necessarily seek help from an information guild."


"Really? I guess we have no choice but to go find them ourselves."


A place came to mind first.


The Platinum Mercenary Corps.


One of the groups with power in the original story, alongside the Red Rose Salon, the Star Tower, and the Golden Scales Society.


"Would it be difficult to establish a cooperative relationship with the Platinum Mercenary Corps?"


"That would be nearly impossible."


Cedric stated firmly.


"The Platinum Mercenary Corps is also a closed organization whose owner isn't publicly known, isn't it?"


"That's right..."


I recalled my knowledge of the original story.


Of course, I knew who the owner of the Platinum Mercenary Corps was.


But I had no way to earn the favor of the Corps leader.


Even if I went to find the Corps leader, I had nothing to offer him...


'Ah, maybe.'


I thought of someone who could be an ally.


'That person might be able to help me.'


---


Some time later, I sat before Marquess Heindel with Cedric.


"It's been a while, Marquess Heindel."


"Yes, it has been quite a long time..."


For some reason, Marquess Heindel spoke while looking at Cedric.


Why had he been using formal speech with us since last time?


"How are things with your wife these days?"


At that question, the Marquess immediately smiled.


"We dealt with the one who dared to blackmail my wife, and we were able to preserve our relationship. I've also gotten her to promise that she no longer needs to sacrifice herself for me."


"That's good to hear, wonderful news."


After briefly exchanging pleasantries, I got to the point.


"Marquess Heindel, do you happen to know how to approach the Platinum Mercenary Corps?"


Comments