Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 52
Chapter 52
When I arrived at the Temple on the weekend, I sensed a different atmosphere than before.
'What's going on?'
For some reason, the lower priests in the same office seemed to be watching me.
But rather than fear, it felt more like they were looking at me as if I were strange?
I instinctively felt it. This was...
'Someone is framing me!'
That look was exactly the expression coworkers made when they'd heard rumors about you.
"Excuse me, Assistant Manager Park. Why have you been looking at me like that since earlier?"
"Hahaha... well, actually, I heard you're retaking the college entrance exam to get into medical school?"
"Excuse me? When did I ever..."
"That's what the boss said."
"What are you talking about! I said I went to see the movie <Passionate Doctor> at the theater this weekend! Ugh, CEO Park Geo-seong!"
Something like that.
I was prepared to defend against any rumor, when Charles appeared with an air of superiority.
"Hey, Priest Odrette. Mid-level Priest Lize is calling for you."
"Excuse me?"
Mid-level Priest Lize was among the most authoritative of the mid-level priests.
Because she was in charge of auditing the Temple's internal priests.
'What on earth happened?'
I kept my guard up and headed to the disciplinary room. The fact that she'd called me there was ominous enough.
When I opened the door to the disciplinary room, I saw a small room. Two chairs faced each other across a table.
Beyond it was a door leading to another room, which I absolutely didn't want to enter for some reason.
Hiding my unease, I sat in the chair and waited for Mid-level Priest Lize to arrive.
Soon, the door opened and Mid-level Priest Lize appeared, her brown hair tied up high.
"Lower Priest Odrette."
"Yes, Mid-level Priest Lize."
"Do you know why you're here?"
"I'm not sure."
"Sigh..."
She sighed and pushed a piece of paper toward me.
"I heard you helped the Imperial Family this time?"
"No, that was actually to prevent the Temple from being implicated—I was cutting ties..."
"Never mind that. Look at this."
She tapped the paper with her finger.
"Of course, Lower Priest Odrette did help with the damage control. As soon as the incident broke, you contacted the Temple and warned us to deny everything since there was no evidence, so the investigators couldn't touch us."
"Yes..."
Since the Crown Prince had said there was no evidence to pin on the Temple this time, I'd decided to help them instead, gaining trust for the long game.
When the Imperial investigation team was dispatched to Viscount Hartfield's residence, I'd immediately contacted the Temple to warn them to deny everything since there was no evidence.
Thanks to that, the Temple was able to avoid the crisis, but...
"However, Lower Priest Odrette still did something that helped the Imperial Family. Because of this, the Imperial Family is cracking down on Viscount Hartfield and subtly publicizing the fact that there are those who oppose them."
"......"
"Who is our primary enemy?"
"Superiors... no, the Imperial Family."
"That's right. And Lower Priest Odrette helped the Imperial Family."
I thought of ways to smooth this over.
Which Trash Company Art of War skill could I use...
As I racked my brain, Mid-level Priest Lize continued.
"Helping the Imperial Family deserves punishment. How can a Temple member help the Imperial Family?"
"Regarding that..."
"In principle, Lower Priest Odrette must serve for the Miracle for three days."
"Service for the Miracle?"
It was an unexpected statement, so instead of defending myself, I asked Mid-level Priest Lize back.
"You mean the High Priest's Miracle?"
"Yes. You know that the Miracle requires a price."
"Of course."
The Temple's evil deeds in the original story stemmed from this.
The High Priest needed sacrifices to perform his Miracles, and the Temple committed various crimes to gather those sacrifices.
Even human trafficking was included in that process, which ultimately led to the Temple's downfall at the hands of the original heroine.
But they were offering sacrifices from within the Temple, not just from outside?
"Don't worry. This is just an ascetic practice for a higher purpose. After this, Lower Priest Odrette will also gain deeper faith in the Temple and a stronger will."
"......"
"This is just a disciplinary measure—you won't be expelled from the Temple. And those who complete this service discipline won't be demoted."
So when Charles was demoted from mid-level priest to lower priest, he hadn't undergone this service discipline.
I considered whether I could use Aria's influence, but she probably wouldn't help me.
Because Aria only used me when convenient and would discard me the moment I became useless.
"High Priestess Seraphine will be in charge of the discipline."
"High Priestess Seraphine."
I'd never met her before.
To gather information about the Temple, I decided to meet High Priestess Seraphine instead of trying to smooth things over. Opportunities for a lower priest to meet a High Priestess were rare.
"Then wait here."
"...Yes."
Mid-level Priest Lize left, and I anxiously tapped the table, waiting for High Priestess Seraphine.
How was she described in the original story again...
'If Aria was the type to attack with a smile, Seraphine was the cold and merciless type.'
Just then, the door opened.
I reflexively stood up and looked at her.
Odrette Lavendel's body was of average height. Aria was shorter than me, so I had to be careful not to look down on her, but with Seraphine, that wasn't a concern.
She was very tall. She also had short black hair—a style that was hard to pull off, but she carried it well.
And as Aria had said, she wore a blue headband.
Overall, her dark clothes and heavy eye makeup made her the intimidating type.
"Hello, High Priestess Seraphine."
I greeted her politely first, and she looked at me and spoke bluntly.
"Enough. Let's get straight to the discipline."
"The discipline..."
"This must be your first time."
"Yes, it is."
"Go in."
Seraphine pointed to the door behind her.
Hmm, the darkness beyond looked like a room I absolutely didn't want to enter.
I opened the ominous door. A long, unlit corridor appeared.
"......"
I walked down the corridor in silence. Seraphine followed behind me as if urging me on.
Soon, I stopped in front of the door at the end of the corridor.
"Should I go in?"
"Yes."
I slowly opened the door. And then...
'Agh! What the hell!'
I nearly screamed, but managed to suppress it.
No one was currently undergoing discipline. But from the traces in the room, I could infer what kind of discipline it was.
'This isn't how romance fantasy Temple disciplines are supposed to be!'
As I'd said before—drawing blood, inflicting pain, using spells...
I thought it was supposed to be some fantastical form of torment!
But unfortunately, the 'Miracle service' awaiting me was of a different kind.
I found stacks of paper so densely covered in black ink that the white paper was barely visible.
"The High Priest's Miracle is activated based on everyone's efforts. So you'll provide that effort."
"You mean 'effort'..."
"Yes."
Seraphine gestured for me to sit at the desk.
"You need to write on a total of 1,000 sheets of paper until no white space remains. Font size under 3 points, and the content is copying the scripture."
"......"
My face turned pale.
This was a punishment I wanted to receive less than any other. Fantasy! I'd rather have fantasy!
My mind began racing. Wait, something that should have arrived already...
"Th-there's evidence."
I stammered reflexively, but tried to speak as clearly as possible.
"I didn't help the Imperial Family..."
"High Priestess Seraphine!"
Just as I was about to say that, the disciplinary room door burst open and Mid-level Priest Lize ran in.
"Someone came with papers and insisted they had to be delivered to Lower Priest Odrette!"
"What?"
Seraphine turned her head with an annoyed expression.
"Lower Priest Odrette, who is it? Outsiders can't enter the Temple."
"B-but the papers seem important."
Mid-level Priest Lize said, glancing at Seraphine.
"He said his name is Cedric... and that as Lower Priest Odrette instructed, he's brought the Imperial Family's weakness!"
Comments
Post a Comment