Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 73


Chapter 73


The title "Next Signal" was clearly a copy of our "First Signal," but from the title alone, we couldn't tell if it was exactly the same project. "Public Safety Management" was also a broad term.


"Did you find out the content too?"


"No, in principle, they said they absolutely couldn't tell me. The fact that they told me about the title change felt like they took pity on us."


"Money didn't work either."


"Of course. The current Imperial Family strictly audits public officials for corruption and misconduct."


Cedric interjected suddenly.


"Then similarly, the Shadow Leon... I mean, Shadow Lion Guild also wouldn't know the content of our project, right? They probably just copied the title."


Why exactly did the Shadow Lion Guild change their name to follow ours?


Just then, Cedric spoke.


"Suppose Arclight Guild and the Shadow Le—I mean, Shadow Lion Guild present on the same topic. The interviewers, without looking into the details, would naturally assume the higher quality presentation was the earlier applicant. They'd be the ones selected."


"So the Shadow Leon Guild used a dirty trick?"


"Hah, and they're confident they'll present better! At this rate, Guild Master, crush them!"


"Looking at the themes, early detection of public risk looks better than personal information protection. Personal information protection is something existing officials can do, but early detection of public risk is something only an information guild can do."


As Morian said, they must have thought our theme was better than theirs.


And they plagiarized our theme outright!


"Ugh, Next Signal is just too much! Not First, but Next!"


Just as I was fuming, Cedric seemed lost in thought.


"Cedric, what's wrong?"


"There's one thing that bothers me. I believe Arclight Guild's project is absolutely perfect. The Shadow Le—I mean, Shadow Lion Guild probably hasn't prepared to this level."


"Then isn't that good?"


"If they only copied the title, they won't be able to follow us... but if our content has leaked to them, we're in trouble."


"Ah, they could copy everything and upgrade it. But there's no way our information could leak..."


As far as I knew, the Imperial Family strictly managed public officials in this world. They might learn the title, but it seemed unlikely they'd leak detailed project content. They'd face severe punishment if caught.


When I shared this thought, Cedric's face brightened.


"As expected, you trust the current Imperial Family!"


"Well, yes...?"


He talked about Imperial Speaking and seemed to like the Imperial Family...? No, sometimes he'd say things about elite nobles that made him sound like a rebel...


"Then what if the information leaked through a different direction than public officials?"


Morian offered his opinion in a calm tone.


"It's dangerous to go with the same theme, but Shadow Leon Guild must have copied it because they were confident they'd do better. Why were they confident?"


"......"


"They must have obtained our information, planning to take it and upgrade it..."


Morian's words made me uneasy.


In the original story, the Shadow Leon Guild had indeed shown great competence. Unlike us, they had informants working in the field.


If they'd used informants to plagiarize our project, then we...


"What do we do..."


Just as I said that in a dejected voice, Cedric's eyes widened. They gleamed with determination.


"Guild Master, I will definitely make our guild's project succeed!"


"Oh, your devotion to the guild..."


"Indeed. My devotion to our guild is immense."


"Hmph, it's devotion to the Guild Master, isn't it."


"Either way, isn't it fine?"


"Sigh, Guild Master Odrette sometimes frustrates me."


Anyway, Cedric, whose eyes seemed to blaze with fire, clenched his fist.


"To be honest, until now I've only been using 50% of my abilities."


"What?"


"But I rechecked the eligibility requirements. It says those who receive a salary from the government are not eligible to apply."


"Well, of course, right?"


"I do not receive a salary from the current Imperial Family."


"That's also obvious, right?"


"So I can use 100% of my abilities."


What on earth was he talking about? But Cedric already seemed lost in his own world.


"I'll now show you the abilities I've developed while working without a salary all this time."


Ah... that must be about his previous "family-like" company. He probably didn't get paid properly there either. How sad.


"Oh, okay? Then I'll give Cedric command of this project."


With a slightly uncertain feeling, I made the suggestion, and Cedric immediately began directing us.


"Understood! I'll rewrite the content from now. Assistant Manager Morian, please replace the words. Make them very stylish."


"I'm a professional in that area."


Cedric's performance began.


"Assistant Manager Susanna, please contact the Star Tower again. We need to change the direction of our collaboration."


"Yes, okay."


"And Guild Master, you'll work with me."


"Alright."


---


"Wow."


On the day of the interview, Susanna lifted her head with a dazed expression.


"We did it..."


"Energy is zero..."


Morian also sounded exhausted.


On the other hand, Cedric and I had slept well the night before and looked fresh. Since we had to go to the interview site, we'd taken care of our appearances.


Cedric was already handsome, but today, dressed in a neat suit with his hair swept back, he looked even more attractive than usual.


"Cedric, you look great with your hair up!"


"Th-thank you. So this is the style you prefer."


I also wore a dress in a suit-like style. Cedric had advised that since public officials were both open and conservative, they'd like this kind of attire.


"Guild Master, crush them!"


"Remember our guild's catchphrase."


Susanna and Morian chanted in unison.


"Strike before you are struck!"


With their support, Cedric and I arrived at the Guild Administration building where the interview would take place.


As we waited in front of the interview room, guilds began appearing one by one. Oh, clearly a mercenary guild. Oh, clearly an academic guild. Oh, clearly an artisan guild.


As I was thinking that, the Shadow Leon Guild also appeared. The Guild Master Leon and Vice Guild Master Annamaria were together.


"Oh my, you haven't given up? Guild Master, they look so pitiful!"


Annamaria, as expected, played the role of the irritating sister-in-law.


"Guild Master, the Shadow Le—I mean, Shadow Lion Guild is here."


"You were about to say Shadow Leon Guild just now!"


"I apologize. It was a mistake."


Cedric really did seem to have made a mistake, which made Leon look even more wounded.


"Well done, Cedric."


"Yes...?"


"Guild No. 1."


Soon, the guilds were called in one by one.


Arclight Guild was No. 9, and Shadow Lion Guild was No. 10.


Since we were waiting right in front of the interview room, we could hear the presentations from inside. That meant the Shadow Lion Guild could also hear our presentation...


Good. Let's rattle them.


"Guild No. 9."


"Yes."


Our number was called, and Cedric and I stood up.


As we entered the interview room, we saw three interviewers seated.


Just as Cedric had said, there was a man with glasses and a stern expression, a woman with a kind-looking face trying to put us at ease, and a young man with an unreadable poker face.


"Hello, I'm Odrette Lavendel, Guild Master of Arclight Guild, No. 9."


"I'm Guild Member Cedric Alte."


Our guild's catchphrase: strike before you are struck.


We were about to demonstrate that catchphrase perfectly.


Comments