Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 8


Chapter 8


This is truly unbelievable.


Cedrian sat in his office, thinking.


For the Temple's side to approach me first.


He'd been trying to win over insiders of the Temple for a long time, but had always failed. Their faith was simply too deep.


The High Priest of the Temple possessed the special ability of "Miracle," and those who witnessed it up close were always utterly devoted to him.


After failing to recruit Temple insiders, he'd tried to find people working under the Temple, but even that wasn't easy. The Temple kept its subcontracting organizations thoroughly hidden.


It was astonishing that the small information guild he'd visited for another commission—"Global-Whatever"—had turned out to be a subcontractor for the Temple.


Things are going too smoothly. Could this also be a scheme to use me?


Even after confirming it with the "Oath" ability, Cedrian still felt uneasy.


His life was a continuous series of situations where suspicion was the only way to survive. By now, he trusted no one.


Was there no way to find out more about that guild?


Cedrian, disguised using items to alter his appearance, walked toward the guild office to dig up whatever he could—and spotted a notice posted in front.


[Global Information Network Guild – New Recruit Hiring Notice]


- Your passion is our asset.

We are recruiting next-generation talent for an innovative, global-leading, first-class information guild.


Requirements:

- Age/Gender/Background: No restrictions

- Must have a strong sense of responsibility and love a "family-like atmosphere"

- Must possess a positive mindset to handle anything with a smile


Working Conditions:

- 6 days a week (days off negotiable, but negotiation results in deduction)

- Salary: Negotiable (downward negotiation only)


※ This guild is a "workplace with fewer than five employees" and is not subject to Imperial labor laws.


"......!"


---


Who in their right mind would apply after seeing that notice?


After posting the new hire notice on the Guild Master's orders, I grumbled to myself.


No sane person would apply after seeing that. Unless they were a pitiful social newcomer desperate for their first job.


"Senior Staff Odrette, are there any applications yet?"


"Oh, yes..."


Before he could complain, I quickly added.


"Wouldn't it be better to have one solid applicant rather than a bunch of riff-raff? Someone who truly appreciates our guild's value will show up."


"Hmm, I suppose."


Fortunately, the Guild Master nodded as if agreeing. Then he stood up and looked at me and Susanna.


"But when the newbie comes, doesn't it look a bit underwhelming to have only senior staff in our guild?"


"......!"


This was an opportunity! Sensing something, my eyes lit up.


People who don't know about trash companies might try to tease you with something like, "You work at a trash company, so you can't get promoted, right?"—but that approach is completely ineffective.


Why? Because the trash company I'd worked for had this characteristic:


"Boss! I've been here a long time—could you promote me?"


"Alright, I'm in a good mood! Starting tomorrow, you're an assistant manager!"


"Really?!"


"But this assistant manager gets promoted to manager! And Manager Kim gets promoted to deputy manager!"


"...Nothing's actually changed, has it?"


That's how promotions worked.


In any case, now that the Guild Master was the only one above me, promotion was a good opportunity. I couldn't let Susanna become assistant manager while I stayed a senior staff member. And if I wanted to make the new hire my ally, it'd be better if I at least held the rank of assistant manager.


"You're absolutely right, Guild Master. It would be better to have an assistant manager."


"Right? I'm thinking about who to promote..."


At those words, even Susanna, who'd been cowed recently, started eyeing the opportunity.


She'd only been quiet because I had leverage on her—originally, Susanna had been the type to flatter the Guild Master and play the company game.


"I used to think Senior Staff Susanna did good work, but why have you been so listless lately? Huh? You should be more passionate at work!"


"Ahaha..."


Susanna glanced at me, then, not wanting to miss the chance, opened her mouth.


"If I were promoted to assistant manager, I think I could work even harder..."


She began using her signature cutesy tone.


But she didn't know a thing. In a trash company, the key to promotion isn't selling yourself—it's tearing others down.


After eyeing the coffee cup on Susanna's desk, I smiled slyly and spoke.


"Guild Master, lattes must be really trendy these days."


"Out of nowhere? What are you talking about?"


"Because I'm so busy preparing for meetings, I usually just drink instant coffee. But Senior Staff Susanna is so up-to-date with trends, she's drinking a latte. Thanks to her, I'm learning about the latest fads!"


"What? Latte?"


The boomer Guild Master's face instantly twisted with anger.


"No, these days kids are so spoiled—what latte? At work, you drink instant coffee! In my day, we were grateful just to get a cup of instant coffee! We drank plain water!"


"Truly, Guild Master, you've lived such a diligent life. I should learn from your work ethic!"


"Hmm, I think I need to think a bit more about who to make assistant manager. Both of you, step it up."


"Yes, Guild Master!"


Susanna looked at the latte on her desk and trembled with rage.


Hmm, but the competition for assistant manager was just beginning.


---


"Where should we eat lunch today? Anyone want to decide?"


"Oh, Team Lead! Let me decide! I heard the Owl Restaurant up ahead is really popular!"


"Owl Restaurant?"


Before the Guild Master could be swayed by Susanna's suggestion, I quickly cut in.


"Oh, I heard about that too. I heard the chargrilled rose cream pasta at Owl Restaurant is all the rage?"


"What? Chargrilled rose... what? What is that, exactly?"


"Sigh, but unlike people my age, I don't feel great after eating刺激性 food. Am I too behind the times... Wouldn't the hearty stew at the mercenary restaurant in the back be much better?"


"Right! These days, young people always want to go to expensive, fancy places! Let's go to the mercenary restaurant!"


Susanna shot me a glare full of resentment.


"Wow, Senior Staff Susanna! What's this receipt? You bought a phonograph? For listening to music at home?"


"What? A phonograph? That expensive thing?"


"I-it's not that expensive—I got a cheap one..."


"I heard it's trendy among the younger generation to bring small phonographs to work—maybe Susanna was planning to do that too!"


"No, I never..."


"Seriously, young people these days have no sense! Tch!"


Two hits in a row. Susanna shot me another venomous glare.


"Guild Master, how about a company dinner for the first time in a while?"


"A dinner? I thought you hated those."


"Oh, come on. Wouldn't it be good for us to bond once before the new hire comes in?"


"Hmm, I suppose."


Susanna, dragged into the dinner because of me, shot me a furious look.


We couldn't even dream of expensive meat—just a cheap mercenary restaurant nearby, where we ordered simple skewers.


"Young people don't like being forced to drink, right?"


"Oh, that's not true at all!"


Having caught on to my pattern, Susanna made her move first.


"I'll drink anything the Guild Master gives me!"


"That's right, Team Lead. Back in the day, we all toasted together, didn't we?"


"Exactly! Bonding used to be important! These days, young people have no team spirit!"


"In that spirit, let me pour you a drink."


I stood up from my seat.


Using the skills honed at the trash company, I began mixing drinks with flashy technique.


"Whoa, Senior Staff Odrette has this kind of skill? I had no idea since you're always so quiet!"


"I thought it was only right to learn as I adapted to the company. But now that I've been here long enough, I should act with a sense of ownership, shouldn't I?"


"Hahah, right!"


After drinking the mix I'd prepared, the Guild Master was in high spirits and finally shouted the words I'd been waiting for.


"I didn't know Senior Staff Odrette was this passionate! Alright, I'm in a good mood! You're promoted to assistant manager!"


"Thank you, Guild Master!"


Three hits in a row. Susanna shot me her third hate-filled glare.


"Senior Staff Susanna, is there a problem?"


"G-grghh, mmph..."


Listening to Susanna's gritted-teeth reply, I downed my drink with a gleeful heart.


Comments