Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 83
Chapter 83
8. Can you also do warehouse part-time work? Even in a romance fantasy?
"Oh, that staircase is a bit steep, but it's fine if we do it like this... Hey, hey! That light is too bright!"
I was spending busier days than ever.
"Yes, yes, please proceed that way. Gather the trash over here!"
Because I was now overseeing a construction site.
Goodbye to our guild building that had the restroom separate from the building and only two rooms—a reception room and an office!
Finally, we were transforming into a typical information guild where clients enter discreetly and make requests discreetly!
"Senior Staff Cedric, but about that secret passage..."
"That would violate fire safety regulations."
"I suppose we have no choice."
Though my initial dream of "Give me a martini with an olive" had failed.
Instead, we were rebuilding a two-story building.
A building with a dim, mysterious reception room, separate office and meeting room, and even a break room, with a restroom inside, and an archive room for storing information!
Ah, I was finally becoming a real, legitimate Guild Master, not a trash-company Guild Master!
Now I could move beyond a workplace with fewer than five employees, hire more staff, and expand the guild. Instead of Cedric taking out the trash, I could hire a dedicated cleaner!
While I was proudly directing the construction, Cedric was also helping me.
Cedric said he wanted to help me instead of working from home. He actually knew construction-related laws well, so he was a great help.
"A basement—doesn't that make your heart race?"
"Mine too."
Our guild even had a basement.
Now we could hatch all sorts of schemes and plots in the basement!
I kept feeling my lips curl up at the rosy future ahead, when a loud clang echoed through the construction site.
"Huh?"
Followed by a bewildered voice.
...What was that? Whenever someone shouted "Huh?" in confusion at a company, something bad always happened.
As my gaze fixed on the center of the construction site, workers began gathering there.
"This is..."
"What do we do?"
"What is it?"
Something had definitely happened. I placed my hand over my racing heart and headed over.
"Wh-what's going on?"
"Ah, boss. Well..."
The construction foreman approached me and spoke with a troubled look.
"This land is in your name, right?"
"Um... it's the guild's corporate asset, but I'm the representative."
"It seems we've found a relic."
"What?!"
At those words, I felt like my heart was about to leap out of my chest. As I staggered, Cedric quickly caught my arm.
"Guild Master, stay calm."
"R-right. It's probably nothing."
But my hands were already trembling.
The construction workers made way for me, and I was able to see what had made that clang when hit by a shovel.
"This is..."
A chalice with an unmistakably ancient relic-like presence was embedded there.
"Oh, no..."
This world had a similar law to my original world.
If a relic was discovered during construction, the work would naturally be halted, and the state would step in to excavate any other relics that might be buried there.
In other words, I was about to lose my guild building...
"No, it can't be..."
As I trembled, the experienced foreman quickly said.
"Boss, you don't have to report this. Actually, the best thing is to not report it and just bury it somewhere, pretending we never saw it. Let's just pretend we don't know."
"That's right."
"Anyway, it's just us here."
The workers agreed with the foreman, but for some reason, I couldn't easily nod.
Ah, even so, my conscience wouldn't let me agree to that.
"I-it might not even be a real relic, right? Maybe it's nothing after we appraise it?"
"There's a 50% chance. If it turns out to be a real relic, we lose both time and money."
"......"
I felt defeated and stared blankly at the relic for a long time.
Should I just not report it? Bury it and pretend I never saw it?
But I was someone cooperating with the Crown Prince... violating the law felt wrong, and my conscience was pricking me.
In the end, after much deliberation, I said:
"Can you delay the construction for a few days? I'll pay you for the time. I'll investigate this relic myself."
"Alright, sure..."
The construction workers began packing up their equipment and leaving one by one.
After they'd all left, I crouched down and looked at the relic.
"Right, we're an information guild—we can investigate it ourselves... It might not even be a relic, right?"
As I muttered, Cedric glanced at me and asked.
"Guild Master, won't you just pretend you never saw it, as the foreman suggested?"
"I can't... my conscience..."
"As expected, you're a truly righteous person."
"I'm not really..."
I also wanted to be prepared for any situation. Since I was already destined to go to prison in the original story, I figured it was better to be careful not to break any laws.
"Cedric, does this look like a real relic to you?"
"It resembles a chalice from the ancient Aion Kingdom style. But I can't tell whether it's a replica that naturally rusted in the dirt, or a genuine relic from the Aion Kingdom."
"You seem to know quite a lot..."
I felt deflated and nearly collapsed onto the dirt.
Cedric glanced at me, then sat down on the dirt beside me.
We sat together, staring blankly at the relic for a long time.
"Wah, my guild building..."
"I'll investigate it."
"I'd appreciate that..."
Of course, if it really was a relic, things would get even more complicated.
"Oh? Isn't this Arclight Guild?"
Just then, a voice came. Cedric and I both turned our heads.
In front of where the original building had almost completely lost its shape due to construction, a man was looking around in confusion.
"This is definitely the place..."
A client. Even in this situation, we had a duty to respond.
"Hello, are you looking for Arclight Guild?"
"Yes, but..."
"I'm Guild Master Odrette Lavendel. Our guild building is under construction right now, so we haven't been taking commissions for a while."
"Oh, really? That's... a problem."
The man clearly had an Imperial face, but wore unique attire. He had a scarf popular in the southern regions wrapped around his head, a shimmering necklace made of eastern gold, and pointed shoes popular in the west.
Just as I was getting curious about his rare outfit, the man continued.
"Would you take it if I paid extra?"
"Guild Master, are we going to take this commission?"
Cedric whispered to me.
"We're under construction and busy, so we should refuse..."
"No, look at his outfit."
I said firmly.
"That man is clearly a big shot. He'll be our guild's benefactor."
"Why..."
Cedric seemed flustered, but I continued.
"The items he's wearing are all the latest trends. That means he's someone who can help our guild, which needs to consume the latest information."
I'd been building connections everywhere for the guild's information supply, and it was obvious that this man would be useful.
I smiled brightly and spoke to the man.
"What seems to be the problem, customer?"
And so, we took on a client's commission at a construction site. This must be the charm of a worksite.
"I am John Kerrdick, the owner of the Golden Scales Society."
"The Golden Scales Society?"
My eyes widened at those words.
We already had the Red Rose Salon, the Platinum Mercenary Corps, and the Star Tower on our side.
And the last remaining power was the Golden Scales Society!
Good thing I took the commission! I almost missed a great opportunity because I was busy.
Now I understood his unique attire—it was because he was wearing all the trendy items.
"You know the Golden Scales Society?"
"Of course, it's the most prosperous trading company in the Empire."
"Indeed. I can pride myself on having built a successful trading company. I've done my best to run it, and I thought there was nothing to improve."
"Yes."
"But our rival, the Kasan Trading Company... has been rising too rapidly lately. It's strange—they seem to predict exactly what will be trendy and sell it. I want to know how that's possible, since they're not prophets."
"You mean they don't just read trends, but predict them?"
"Yes, our trading company is also quick to catch trends. But it's different. They distribute items that don't make sense, and three months later, those items become trendy and sell at high prices!"
"Hmm..."
"Please find out what trick the Kasan Trading Company is using."
Comments
Post a Comment