Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 86
Chapter 86
"So, that's how it happened..."
When I explained the full story to the Golden Scales Society, Mr. Kerrdick's eyes widened.
"They're using more aggressive marketing tactics than us! This seems to go beyond the realm of marketing!"
"Yes, that's right..."
At this level, it could be called viral marketing, couldn't it?
"Hah, well. Anyway, thank you for letting me know. Should we just copy their method..."
"No, if you just copy them, it'll be too late. The Golden Scales Society needs to use a new approach."
I looked at Mr. Kerrdick seriously and said.
"Actually, I know some methods that might help."
"Methods that might help?"
"Yes, if needed, I could provide consulting..."
"Good. If it's a method that makes money, I'll pay you its worth."
Hmm, he'd promised to pay, right?
Soon, all sorts of viral marketing methods that hadn't yet been introduced to this world flowed from my mouth.
The more he heard, the wider Mr. Kerrdick's eyes grew, and eventually he even started taking notes.
"Oh, this is it! There are methods like that! Good, very good!"
By the time I finished, Mr. Kerrdick was looking at me with passionate eyes.
"You're truly admirable. I'll add an incentive."
"Yes, I hope you get good results."
Mr. Kerrdick handed us the promised commission and incentive.
It wasn't enough yet to say the Golden Scales Society was on our side, but at least we'd created a connection that could narrow the distance.
'Sigh, but...'
How was I going to resolve the relic found at our guild's construction site?
---
"Your Highness, why did you ask me to bring the list of relics from the Aion Kingdom?"
Eric grumbled as he set down thick books before Cedrian.
"I've even brought the library's rare books."
"They're all needed."
"Yes, yes. It's about that guild again, I assume. Please don't lose your identity as Crown Prince."
"They say a person needs multiple selves to feel psychologically secure."
"I don't think that means you need to disguise yourself."
Ignoring Eric's snark, Cedrian began searching through the rare books.
"Damn it, no matter how I look at it, it's an Aion Kingdom relic..."
The fact that a relic had been found in the ground was concerning in itself. If it wasn't an ancient relic, who would have buried it there?
'But if it really is a relic, Odrette's construction will be delayed and she'll suffer.'
As the Crown Prince of a nation, he couldn't just pretend not to know and let construction continue. Cedrian was troubled.
As he pondered with a serious face, a figure appeared and Eric bowed.
"Father."
The Emperor, who'd just entered Cedrian's office, looked at the books piled on his desk and asked casually.
"Studying state affairs? You've been roaming around outside lately, but it seems you've finally come to your senses."
Cedrian considered whether to say this was also outside work, but had enough sense to stay quiet.
"So, when is this woman you're seeing going to work out?"
"...Excuse me?"
"I know you have someone in mind, but when are you going to bring her? You've been ignoring all talk about introducing a Crown Princess."
Seeing that his father couldn't even imagine that the person in question was a commoner, Cedrian rolled his eyes. Then he offered a vague excuse.
"To be honest, I haven't even confessed yet."
"Don't be so frustrating! What noble lady would refuse if you confessed?"
"She might refuse. I'm good at seeing myself objectively."
"Sigh!"
Watching his son roam outside and increasingly lose his sense of privilege, the Emperor was at a loss for words.
"If you need anything, I'll help. So stop doing strange things outside and start thinking about finding a woman who'll support you."
Cedrian nearly said that he wasn't the one being supported—he was the one supporting that person—but held his tongue again. He thought his judgment was pretty good.
'...Wait, that's a good idea.'
Suddenly, Cedrian thought of a plausible excuse to date Odrette.
Even if he had to do it as Cedric rather than Cedrian, it didn't matter! Having found a pretext, Cedrian's face brightened.
---
"Go see an appraiser?"
"Yes, Guild Master."
I blinked at Cedric's sudden suggestion. I'd left the construction site relic matter to him...
"There's an appraiser in the back alleys who buys and sells relics. He doesn't ask about the source, so we can make a judgment on our end."
"We might get an answer that it's not an ancient relic... But what if it really is an ancient relic?"
"Th-then the state would give us proper compensation, wouldn't it?"
"But I heard that in these cases, only the building owner loses out! There's no remedy!"
"Th-there must be a way."
"You think so?"
Remembering my relationship with the Crown Prince, I calmed down. He might be able to help me.
"Alright, let's go get the relic appraised."
Cedric put on gloves and carefully retrieved the relic from amid the construction site. He lifted the chalice carefully and observed it.
"It looks like an Aion Kingdom relic, but it might not be."
"R-really? You seem to know history well?"
"I've seen many relics."
"Really? Did you go to museums often?"
"Y-yes. I frequently visited museums."
I always felt Cedric had an eccentric side. His saying it looked like an Aion Kingdom relic only made me more nervous, but I decided to follow him to the back alleys.
"Is this place safe?"
The deeper we went into the alleys, the more sinister the atmosphere became—semi-basement bars that had lights on even during the day, suspicious-looking shops...
"It's not illegal. It just operates on the precarious edge of the law..."
"Coming from someone who usually pursues justice so much, that's surprising..."
"...You could say you're also included in my definition of justice."
"What does that mean?"
"It means I'm a loyal guild member."
I always felt his loyalty toward me was excessive. We soon stopped in front of a dim shop.
"Well, I heard about this place..."
"Where did you hear about it?"
"From a reliable source..."
He hesitated, glanced at me, and opened the shop door. It creaked as it opened, but there was no one inside.
"Hello?"
While Cedric called for the owner, I looked around the small shop. Valuable-looking relics were carelessly placed everywhere, along with magnifying glasses and prisms used for appraising relics.
"What is it?"
Soon, an old man emerged from a small back room with a frown.
"What brings you here at this hour?"
"It's daytime right now?"
"Aish! If you're coming to a shop like this, you should visit at night!"
I nodded, learning something new from the old man's words.
"So we can't do it now?"
Unlike me, who was a bit intimidated, Cedric stood firm and asked. The old man clicked his tongue and approached us.
"If you have money, there's nothing I can't do."
"We'd like an appraisal."
Cedric said, handing over the chalice wrapped in cloth. The old man put on gloves, took the chalice, and examined it with a magnifying glass from all angles.
"It looks like an Aion Kingdom chalice, but it could also be a fake..."
As I swallowed nervously, the old man, after even touching the chalice, rummaged through a box in the corner.
"I need to check the traces of time, so wait a moment."
"Yes..."
"By the way, what are a young man and woman doing here? You look perfectly normal."
"Ahaha... What kind of people usually come here?"
"Usually people in urgent need of money. Those whose businesses failed and are selling everything off to flee."
Oh, what a terrible thought. I'd make sure never to face that kind of future.
"Most relics in the capital have passed through my hands."
"Ah, I see."
"Even the Temple trusts me, you know."
"Excuse me? The Temple?"
Comments
Post a Comment