Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 95
Chapter 95
"Wow, there are more noble ladies connected to him than I thought."
A few days later, I was saying this in the meeting room with Cedric.
"As expected of the Crown Prince, there are many who were once mentioned as marriage candidates."
"......"
Cedric hadn't been very helpful this time—he didn't seem to know much about these rumors—but I continued, laying out what I'd found.
"Six noble ladies mentioned as marriage candidates, eight who reportedly danced with him at banquets, and..."
"Hah, but isn't this all meaningless? The Crown Prince, I mean, His Highness doesn't seem to have given his heart to any of them. He just danced and dined with them as part of his duties."
"That's probably true. But there's no way those ladies didn't develop feelings for him."
"Still..."
"Objectively, the Crown Prince has a lot going for him, and above all, he's very handsome."
"Handsome?"
"I mean, I've heard rumors that he's handsome."
Cedric's face brightened slightly.
"And his personality is very considerate and kind. I mean, that's what I've heard."
Since the guild members didn't know about my relationship with Cedrian, I hid that fact and spoke indirectly.
"Anyway, objectively speaking, the Crown Prince is an attractive man, so these ladies might have developed feelings for him. And that means they'd target the Lady of Kaliad."
"You think so too?"
"Yes. And we don't even know if the Crown Prince gave them any encouragement... Being kind to everyone can lead to misunderstandings."
"I've been feeling up and down since earlier."
"What do you mean?"
"I just... mean that's how I feel."
Since Lady Lucia had invited me to the ducal residence, I planned to take these materials and meet her.
"Alright, I'll be back."
"You're going alone?"
"Yes. Why? Do you want to come?"
"Th-that's what I was thinking. Not with any other intention, just as an information guild member wanting to learn more about the ducal family..."
"Sorry, but the Lady and I need to have some girl talk. Just focus on your guild work."
I waved my hand dismissively at Cedric. He looked dejected, but I didn't care and boarded the carriage the Lady had sent.
---
Arriving at the ducal residence by carriage, the Lady greeted me in the reception room.
"You're here, Odrette!"
"Yes, I've brought all the information."
"How about we have tea in the garden instead of the reception room today? The garden is really beautiful."
"I'd love that."
Following the Lady's guidance, I saw a garden in full bloom with gorgeous roses. All kinds of flowers filled the garden, centered around the roses.
"Wow, the gardener must take great care of this place."
"The garden is my mother's favorite spot. She always makes sure it's well-maintained."
Lady Lucia said proudly.
In the center of the garden, a tea set was already prepared. Lady Lucia brewed tea for me herself.
"The aroma is wonderful."
Savoring the taste of high-quality black tea for the first time in a while, I handed the Lady the papers with the information.
"Please burn them after reading."
"Huh, is that how it's done?"
"No, I just wanted to be more discreet after renovating the guild building. It looks cool, doesn't it?"
"Wow, I see!"
Lady Lucia laughed at my light joke. Soon, she scanned the list of noble ladies.
"There are more candidates for engagement than I expected..."
"Right, I was surprised too."
"Among these, the ones who might target me are..."
The Lady circled a few names with a pen.
"Hmm, good. This many."
"You can tell at a glance?"
"I've heard a lot about other noble families over time. And I have good intuition too."
"Intuition?"
At my question, the Lady smiled with rare confidence.
"After awakening the Falsehood ability, my intuition got even better."
"Ah, so that ability includes that kind of power."
"So I have a feeling these ladies will oppose me. But since you've helped me, I'll be fine."
Lady Lucia waved the papers containing their weaknesses.
"With this information, I think I can prepare well enough...!"
"I'm glad I could help. Are your other preparations going well?"
"Of course. I've had a dress custom-made at the Musique Salon, my father obtained a necklace called 'Tears of a Thousand Years' at auction, and my eldest brother will escort me..."
Listening to her grand plans, my eyes widened.
I really didn't need to worry about her after all... Her preparations were on a completely different scale.
"You'll be making your debut at the Imperial banquet, right? There are other noble ladies making their social debuts too, not just you?"
"That's right, but most ladies from prominent families are avoiding this banquet. They say they don't want to debut at the same time as me—I wonder why? It must be because I'm so lacking..."
"Oh... I think it's the opposite..."
The more I heard, the more distant she felt.
As I was thinking that, a voice suddenly interrupted.
"Hey, Lucia. I was wondering where you were."
"Brother, I'm with a guest. Don't interrupt."
It was Lady Lucia's second brother, the playful one—the second son of Kaliad.
"Oh, I've met her before too. She's our family's benefactor. Can't I stay too?"
"I'm spending time with my friend for the first time in a while—why are you interfering?"
Even Lady Lucia bickered normally with her second brother.
But true to his doting-brother nature, the second son didn't back down and wedged himself between us. He even gestured for a servant to bring an extra chair.
"Nice to meet you again, Guild Master. Can I stay too?"
"Of course, my lord. I'm Odrette Lavendel, Guild Master of Arclight."
"I remember, Ms. Lavendel. I'm Dominic Kaliad."
He extended his hand, and I awkwardly shook it. He must have been worried about who his sister was with.
"What were you talking about?"
"Odrette and I were preparing for my debut. She got me some information in advance."
"Ah, information."
Dominic said casually.
"With me around, what's there to worry about? I'll take care of anyone who gives you trouble."
"Don't try to solve everything with force in the social circle..."
"Well, if force is needed, you could handle it yourself anyway."
"What are you talking about? I'm only at the level of nearly Sword Master..."
"Ah, right. I heard something from Father."
Dominic's curious gaze turned to me.
"There's a guild member in your guild named Cedric, right?"
"Ah, yes. Do you know him?"
"No, but I remembered him after seeing him last time."
Why would Dominic remember a mere guild member like Cedric? Did he remember every man around his sister? Or was Cedric just that handsome? He did have sharp, cool features that wouldn't lose to either of the brothers.
"How's that guild member working these days?"
"What do you mean by that..."
"Ugh, Brother."
Lady Lucia tried to shut him down, but Dominic continued.
"I was just curious. It's interesting that someone like that works at that guild."
"Someone like that..."
"Hmm, I mean his face. He's very handsome."
So that was it. He must be wary of every man who meets his sister.
"He's doing very well. Though he's a low-level employee at our guild, he works harder than anyone and his abilities are recognized."
"Low-level..."
"Still, his work ability is the best, and he's very loyal to our guild. He's a trustworthy employee."
Feeling sorry for Cedric being targeted by Dominic for no reason, I defended him. Dominic blinked a few times and asked.
"I see. A capable employee... That's how you see him?"
"Yes, a very capable employee."
"I see. How pitiful..."
Dominic muttered.
"He's not a threat at all. He'll figure it out on his own..."
Wow, my defense had removed Cedric from Dominic's radar.
Comments
Post a Comment