Home/How to Survive in a Good Small Guild/ch 98


Chapter 98


I hid my true intentions and acted friendly with Mr. John Kerrdick. He helped ease the atmosphere, and I was able to make acquaintances with other guild masters and trading company owners.


Soon, the nobles began entering one by one. Since it was a table-seating arrangement with assigned seats, they took their places. Fortunately, they were seated separately from us.


The economic leaders' section and the nobles' section were completely separated, so we were having our own conversations when a small voice came from behind.


"Odrette!"


Turning around, I saw Lady Lucia waving at me. Her two brothers were beside her.


"Ah, Lady Lucia!"


"You look pretty today! Let's talk later!"


Right, Lady Lucia was also here. Having at least one ally made me feel more at ease.


And today was the day. The day Cedrian and Lady Lucia would meet for the first time.


They would recognize each other, Cedrian would become obsessed with Lady Lucia following the rescue narrative, and the romance would begin...


As I was recalling the original story's content, the attendant's announcement rang out.


"His Highness the Crown Prince enters!"


At that, the nobles rose from their seats. I also awkwardly followed suit.


The familiar face I'd seen many times, Cedrian, was entering. For some reason, his gaze seemed fixed in this direction.


'Has he already spotted Lady Lucia?'


The Economic Day event was divided into two parts. Part one involved sitting around tables and having casual conversations. Part two would be for the nobles to dance and enjoy their own banquet.


If I recalled correctly, they first met while dancing together...


"Now, we will present commendations to those who have contributed to our Empire's economy."


Hearing the Minister of Economy's voice, I focused on that.


The Minister of Economy presented commendations to those at our table one by one. As I went up to the podium to receive mine, I felt a bit stiff. I considered myself fairly shameless, but this was nerve-wracking...


While I bowed to the Minister of Economy, Cedrian beside him was staring intently at me. I also bowed to him and stepped down from the podium.


Hmm, anyway, I had both the original male lead and female lead as my backers. I shouldn't be too nervous...


As I sat back down at the table, Mr. Kerrdick whispered.


"Are you acquainted with His Highness the Crown Prince?"


"Excuse me? No?"


Feeling awkward, I quickly denied it, and Mr. Kerrdick shrugged.


"I was just asking because he was staring for a long time. I guess not."


"Ah..."


Just then, attendants began serving food to our table.


As I ate slowly, I chatted with the other guild masters again. Building relationships with them would be helpful.


One of the guild masters asked.


"Are you all planning to stay for part two? They said we're allowed to stay."


"What would we do if we stayed?"


"Right, we wouldn't fit in anyway, so I'm planning to leave."


Most seemed to be planning to leave after part one, but Mr. Kerrdick said he'd stay.


"I'm thinking of staying to watch the spectacle."


I quickly added.


"I'll stay too. I want to see more."


It would be good to spend more time with Mr. Kerrdick.


Soon, the central doors of the banquet hall opened, revealing a larger hall. It was the space for dancing in part two.


As the attendants announced the end of part one and most of the economic leaders filed out, I awkwardly looked around.


At that moment, an amazing sight caught my eye.


'Is it finally starting?'


Lady Lucia was approaching Cedrian.


I watched their encounter with excitement.


As Lady Lucia approached Cedrian first, he looked surprised. Soon, they began talking.


Just then, Cedrian's gaze met mine. Feeling awkward, I took a step back.


Cedrian said something to Lady Lucia, and they took hands and headed to the dance hall together.


'It must be the original scene!'


The moment they stepped onto the dance floor, everyone's eyes in the banquet hall were fixed on them.


"Oh my, the Crown Prince, who rarely attends banquets, is dancing..."


"Indeed, it's rare for His Highness to dance with a lady."


"And she's the Lady of Kaliad."


"Well, if it's the Lady of Kaliad, it makes sense."


"What a splendid debut."


"But why do the Kaliad brothers look so upset?"


While the original heroine's two brothers gritted their teeth, music began to play. They started their elegant first dance.


I also felt a strange sense of emotion, immersed in the feeling that the original story had begun. It was truly moving.


As I watched them with interest, I noticed Mr. Kerrdick moving somewhere in my peripheral vision.


'Where's he going?'


Come to think of it, it was strange for an economic leader to stay at the nobles' banquet. Mr. Kerrdick must have had a reason to stay.


Since he might have already sided with the Temple, he was someone I needed to keep a close eye on. I followed Mr. Kerrdick as he headed to the garden.


Mr. Kerrdick went deep into the garden. I walked quietly, and soon heard him talking with someone.


"Oh, my love! You came!"


"......?"


Were they having a secret rendezvous at the banquet?


But if it was someone he'd meet secretly at a nobles' banquet...


"It's been so long, darling."


"I couldn't help it. A friend suspected our relationship recently..."


Hiding in the bushes, I peeked out and saw a noblewoman standing before Mr. Kerrdick.


'I recognize her from researching for Lady Lucia! Viscountess Janssen!'


She had no children and had been widowed for a long time. She'd been married off to an older husband and their relationship hadn't been good even during his lifetime.


Ah, so Mr. Kerrdick and Viscountess Janssen were secretly seeing each other. As the owner of the Golden Scales Society, which dealt in expensive goods, he'd have easy access to noblewomen.


The reason they met in secret was probably because of prying eyes?


In fact, Mr. Kerrdick, as the owner of the Golden Scales Society, was wealthy enough that most nobles couldn't even compare. Money wouldn't be an issue in his relationship with the Viscountess.


The reason they couldn't be open was probably because of the status difference.


I recalled Imperial law.


If Viscountess Janssen married Mr. Kerrdick in that situation, she would no longer be able to participate in noble social circles.


Because the viscountcy belonged to her deceased former husband, not to her.


In other words, Viscountess Janssen was conflicted, unable to let go of either her noble status or her love for Mr. Kerrdick.


Just then, a good idea came to mind.


'If I play this right, I can help Mr. Kerrdick and gain his favor.'


There was a bill currently being discussed that would allow a wife to inherit her deceased husband's title if they had no children.


If I could get Cedrian to push that bill through, Viscountess Janssen could marry Mr. Kerrdick while keeping her noble status.


Then Mr. Kerrdick would side with the Imperial Family, not the Temple.


Pushing through a bill was something only Crown Prince Cedrian could do!


'Good, I need to report this.'


Comments