Home/Please Don't Have Ulterior Motives in a Contract Romance/ch61


Episode 61


At Angel's unexpected words, I couldn't respond—I just covered my mouth with my hand.

Ignoring my reaction, Angel continued.

"Yes. In fact, the Duke's demeanor has really softened, and many people are glad to see it. I came here around the same time as you, Lady Rielle, so I don't know the details, but the senior staff told me that working here used to require a lot of caution given the high pay."


Wait, how difficult was this workplace before I came?

Scenes common in romance fantasies flashed through my mind.

Getting killed for a wrong word, or for doing something forbidden.

I wanted to ask, but had a feeling I shouldn't, so I just swallowed.

Angel, not noticing my expression, smiled brightly and gave me a cheer.

"Everyone thinks it's thanks to you, Lady Rielle! So please keep it up!"


I couldn't tell her it was just a contract, so I forced a smile.

"Ah, haha. I'll try."


Of course, Cael had been acting like a changed man.

Even I remembered him as someone who seemed ready to draw his sword at the slightest misstep when we first met.

But that man suddenly proposed dating, and as soon as we signed the contract, he changed completely.

Surprised by his behavior, I'd asked the butler and Head Maid Susan about it.

They'd casually explained that he'd always been like that since childhood—it was just hidden by his position as Duke.


At any rate, I was grateful the mansion's staff didn't dislike me.

Since this mansion was my comfortable space, I'd worried about being harassed here.

Cheering me on was beyond my expectations, though.

"Lady Rielle, what's your schedule for today?"


Angel asked, opening the wardrobe as I came out after washing.

Recalling what Oren had told me before we parted last night, I answered.

"Uh, I'm going to the palace to help with work, and in the afternoon... I think I heard something about going to the lake with Cael."


Yes, from today, my dates with Cael would resume.

Though it was a contract, I couldn't help feeling excited—the dates so far had been enjoyable.

Angel widened her eyes in surprise and asked again.

"Ah! That famous Lovers' Lake?"

"Yeah, I think so..."

"Wow! Our Duke really has changed so much."


At Angel's clapping and excitement, I asked if the lake was really that famous.

"Why? Is the lake a famous place?"

"Yes! It's a place every couple wants to visit together. The scenery is beautiful, and the lake itself is really, really lovely! Especially inside the lake... ah! I won't say more—it's better for you to experience it yourself."

"Um... thanks for the consideration."

"Wow, the Duke must really like you, Lady Rielle, to take you to a place he'd never go otherwise."

"R-really...?"


Angel's fussing almost made me start believing Cael actually liked me.

That kind of delusion could end up tripping me up, so I told myself to stay grounded.

Angel rolled up her sleeves, her eyes sparkling.

"I'll make you look absolutely beautiful today. And since you're going to the lake, you'll definitely need a parasol."

"Uh, no, Angel. I have to go to the palace to help with work first... Could you pack the clothes I'll change into? I can change after work."


Yes, there was still work to do at the palace.

I snapped back to reality and hurriedly stopped Angel.

Unbeknownst to her, I had to transform into a male servant in the carriage, so I needed to wear clothes that were easy to change into trousers.

But I couldn't wear that men's outfit for the afternoon date.

Since the date with Cael also needed to be seen by people, I couldn't be careless with my appearance.

It wasn't that I had any ulterior motives, of course.

Though I did have a slight desire to look pretty in front of Cael—but isn't wanting to dress nicely something everyone feels?

At my refusal, Angel drooped her shoulders.

"Aww, that's a shame. I really wanted to make you look beautiful. I'll pack your clothes neatly and put them in the carriage."

"Thanks, I appreciate it."


While Angel busied herself packing the box with essentials, I went to Allen's room to say goodbye.

Allen, at his age, had many things to learn, and he eagerly told me about his schedule.

Proud of him, I patted his head and resolved to make sure I spent at least one day a week with Allen, even when my schedule was busy.

When Angel said she was done, I said goodbye to Allen and headed outside.


At the entrance, Cael was nowhere to be seen.

The butler informed me that Cael had gone to the palace ahead of me.

Though only the two of them knew about our contract, the butler and Susan always saw me off whenever I went out, to maintain my standing in the mansion.

After greeting them, I boarded the carriage.

As the carriage departed, Oren rode alongside on horseback.

I changed into male servant attire inside the carriage.

Then I touched the transformation ring on my index finger with my other hand, and it began to glow.

Opening my eyes and looking in a small hand mirror, I had transformed into a male servant.


"Honestly, it still amazes me every time."


Cael had said such rings barely existed in this world.

The ring's entry in the treasury records dated back to the founding of the ducal house.

Magic had been quite active back then, but at some point, the number of mages dwindled, and the few remaining ones built a magic tower and became less active.

Nowadays, they'd been reduced to artisans selling magical items, though it was rumored that every royal family secretly had one or two mages under contract.

When I asked if the Harcanslond royal family also had a contracted mage, I only received a meaningful smile from Cael.

I took that as a sign not to ask further.


Arriving at the palace, we entered the main building and reached the study.

The two knights guarding the door recognized Oren and me, knocked, and announced our arrival.

The door opened, and we entered.

"Good morning."


Entering Leonid's study at the palace, I greeted everyone busy with their tasks.

"Good morning."

"Welcome."

"Good morning."


First, I met the gaze of Cael, sitting at a desk reading documents.

He looked up from his reading and gave me a slight smile.

His softly crinkled eyes and the beauty mark at his eye corner caught my attention, and my heart skipped.

Ah, he wasn't the type to smile like that.

I returned the greeting with a look, then composed my expression and cleared my throat.

"Ahem. Is there anything I can help with?"


This must be what office romance feels like.

Even though everyone here knew the truth, the act of exchanging glances when no one was looking gave it that kind of feeling.

The taste of love, perhaps.

But before I could savor it, Leonid interrupted.

"No, first you need to transform into Jamila. Oren said since we entered the palace yesterday, we should summon designers for a shopping event today."


Scratching his head, Leonid explained.

Returning to reality, I reverted to my subordinate mode and nodded.

Then, a thought struck me, and I cautiously raised my hand to ask.

"That's certainly effective for showing off. But are you sure about this?"

"About what?"

"The... treasury?"


Worried it might be rude, I asked cautiously. Leonid looked puzzled, then shook his head in disbelief.

"Wait, you're actually worried I might not have money?"

His expression hardened as if offended.

I felt like I'd made a mistake and hurt his pride.


Comments